Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November movement

Pretty good sit this AM. Bumped some deer bedded around the stand I was headed to at 5:45. The roster by 10:30 was 5 does and 3 bucks. All bucks by themselves - one mature buck. Don't want to talk about it.

This is my favorite time of the year. Got a vacation day tomorrow, HBS is ready to rock, cold front coming, snow expected, barometer is rising. Yup, this is the most excited I've been for a hunt all year.

I had to drive up through a big chunk of Clayton county this am for work and saw what looked like a very nice mature buck about 2-300 yards off a highway running a doe ragged through a pasture around 9am. I pulled over and watched them for about 5 minutes. He was all in.

FWIW...drove from Iowa City to Tipton area and back around lunch time. Saw one VERY nice buck right in the Iowa City city limits. I didn't see it, but by the way he was acting, I suspect there was a doe there too.

Saw two other active chases out in the country. I don't think I would want to be in a tree with this wind...but the chase seems to be happening at some level. I am eager to see what this weekend brings...

Hunted tonight, saw 7 does and one button buck. No real rutting activity going on here. Good news is 5 of the does were fawns so I think it'll be a good secondary rut.

I pulled camera cards today. Last week while I was on vacation nothing was moving. This week I have mature bucks on camera every day cruising during the day. 3 different mature bucks and a handful of younger fellas. I wish I could take tomorrow off. I'll be sitting Saturday morning for sure. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Tonight was the slowest sit I have had all year. Was in a new stand that sits in a great funnel with a west wind. Two yearlings and that was it. Hoping tomorrow morning is a different story before the storm. The shifting winds could be a challenge.

I sat all day today and man was it a good one! Nothing killed but I saw at least a dozen different bucks. One BIG one a long ways off and about 5 nice ones (120ish types). One I would have shot had he given me the chance but I was hunting the ground due to the wind and he saw me. I got out a little late, right at shooting time. Set up my decoy and started getting a spot ready behind a tree. Not two minutes after I set my decoy up, a nice 9 chased a doe right to me and he smoked the decoy! Awesome sight to watch at 18 yards from ground level! There were a couple of hot does around for the first hour or so of light, chasing going on like crazy. Got some video of another nice one that got the pass. At 10:45 I had two come in and bed about 50 yards away. One stayed for about a half hour and the other stayed until 3:30. That was a long stretch with a deer that close. I have the day off tomorrow and will be at it all day again. Looking forward to seeing what the deer do before the storm rolls in!

Here's the one I videoed a bit.

Last edited:
Same here...for the most part. Not gonna lie though, I'd shoot a big racked 3 year old.

Curly has been the hardest deer to pass I have ever had. I'm pretty sure he is 3.5 and of course he has been around me multiple times. Just hope he is this huntable next year as a 4.5 Slob:).

Curly has been the hardest deer to pass I have ever had. I'm pretty sure he is 3.5 and of course he has been around me multiple times. Just hope he is this huntable next year as a 4.5 Slob:).

I'd have a tough time passing him.

This guy is probably the biggest deer I've ever passed (this year). He doesn't look it in this pic, but I'm positive he's a 3 year old.

CJ (Curly Jr.) Is one that I kinda hope doesn't even walk past me with the remaining season. He's only 3.5 as well and I don't even want to be tempted.

Out last night. Saw 3 spooky does and 1 lone fawn. Haven't seen a single buck in a while. Just got permission on this property to get me away from the hit and miss public i was on. Hoping this isn't the first year i haven't managed to get a buck but looking more and more like it.

Just had the target buck walking dead at me while I was at full draw. 22 yards and closing. All he needed to do was follow the electric cattle fence.like all the rest of the deer. He decided to jump it and keep jogging for 25 more yards putting him out of range and in a thicket. SMH. This deer is owning me in this chess match.

Top Bottom