Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Warmest cold gear base layer

MN Hunter

Looking at getting some new cold gear base layers. I am currently using under armour cold they I bought about 6 years ago. I'm looking for the best. I'd rather spend more and be comfortable. Anybody any suggestions or brands to stay away from?

I love my minus 33 as my first layer. I'll have to look at the tags on my second layer and post that. My 3rd "under layer" is the army issue polyester blend stuff. 3 very thin, comfortable base layers.

I've had great luck with UA 3.0 as my first layer with the UA extreme over that and than a down vest. Put your outer layer over that and you're set. Very comfortable, flexibility is phenomenal and absolutely no bulk. Lots of good options out there. I like my first lite stuff as well.

Just switched from UA to wool. Bought 1 Core4 1/4 zip and a First lite mock T. Went from 3 to 2 baselayers. First lite is the better of the 2. Much more comfortable and warm. Still like UA. First lite wool, core4 wool, cabelas e.c.w.c.s heavy weight, UA infrared hoodie, cabelas merino vest, UA infrared jacket. All super thin. 6 layers in all when it's super cold.

So in the merino base layers how thin is that? I have been looking and see different weights of clothing like 150 or 200. Just curious because I am wanting to pick some up online.

So in the merino base layers how thin is that? I have been looking and see different weights of clothing like 150 or 200. Just curious because I am wanting to pick some up online.

My first lite is 170. Is about like a cotton T-shirt for thickness. It's thicker than the core 4.

Autumn woods outfitters sells merino wool on line. It's great.
You can also use wofulite machine washable wool.
Works great very warm base layers.

I got the Under Armour Extreme base layers towards the end of last season. The stuff is amazing. Super warm and comfortable.

Top Bottom