Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trent downs Countdown!

bowman

Super Moderator
My son Trenton wrote his story of his 2015 buck. I am posting for him.

In the words of Trenton...............................

Starting out my 2015 season, I knew I wanted to get a mature buck. I asked my Dad if I could borrow a trail cam to see if I could find a hit lister to go after. Not long after I set up the trail cam a nice mature ten point showed up . He appeared on every SD card I pulled coming into the youth season.

1040-countdown_1.jpg

1040-countdown_2.jpg

1040-countdown_3.jpg

I decided to name this buck Count Down because he has ten points and every day is counting down until I get a shot at this awesome buck. The youth season was pretty slow for me but I was very blessed to be with my brother when he harvested his first deer. When bow season came around I really wanted to harvest my first deer with my bow, and I told my dad that I am only going to hunt the area were I have been seeing Count Down. I also started bowhunting by myself this year, and with my dad’s work schedule it was really hard for him to go out with me. When bow season came around, I had the perfect wind to hunt my tree stand, so I set out with an either sex bow tag. Because muzzleloader season was going on my Dad told me to wear my orange. My trail camera go my pic as I approached my stand.

1040-countdown_5.jpg

I got set up, and less than a half an hour later I could hear something big coming in behind me and as I slowly turned to see what it was, a doe busted and ran away. I was just about to sit back down when I see it walking back down the trail towards me. I ranged the trail in front of it and it was 20 yards away. I drew my bow, grunted to get the doe to stop, and slow squeezed my trigger. I watched as my arrow disappeared in the back of the lungs. I watched it run and heard it go down about 80 yards from my stand. My 4 year quest to get a deer with my bow was over! The only way it could have been better was if my dad was there to share the memory with me that I will never for get. That night my dad was hunting with my sister so I planned to wait until they got home to go look for my deer so I decided to sit until dark. I’m glad I stayed in the tree because the action was not over. About 15 minutes before last shooting light I looked up to see a really big bodied deer walk in the field. As I pulled up my binoculars I saw Countdown about 150 yards away from my tree stand. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest, this was the first time I have got to see him in the flesh and he was big! I could only sit and watch as he started to walk to my side of the field. I was expecting him to walk into our bean plot, but he never showed, he just disappeared. I was thrilled to have seen him in the flesh!

We found my first bow deer about 80 yards from the stand. When I walked up to it I realized that it was button buck and not a doe, but I was still as happy as ever.

1040-button_1.jpg

A couple of nights later I got to watch my sister harvest a giant buck but because I couldn’t hunt by myself with my youth tag and my Dad was working all week, it came down to the last day of early muzzleloader before he could hunt with me. We could not hunt any of my tree stands with the wind we had that night, but luckily for me, my Dad had an idea. We would hang a tree stand just out of range of the path that Countdown had been taking and better for the wind we had that night. We ended up on the other side of the field that I usually hunt. The rut was still a few weeks away but we brought the decoy to see if we could get Countdown to veer off his normal course and come within range.

It started out really slow. We didn’t see anything until my Dad tapped me on my shoulder and said “Countdown….out in the field!” I pulled up my binoculars to see Countdown standing 100 yards away, staring at our decoy. With only 15 minutes of shooting light Countdown was locked on our decoy but he wasn’t moving. Finally he started to walk but not in the right direction. He walked straight at us then turned into the woods to circle down wind, a path that would take him behind us. My dad tapped on my shoulder and said “we only have a few minutes of legal shooting light left. If you have a good shot take it.” Not long after, Countdown started walking down a trail about 35 yards from our stand. There was a little opening that I could get a good shot. I waited until I could see his full body. I aimed, slow squeezed, and BAM! I couldn’t see anything at first. That’s when I heard my dad yelling “You got him! You got him!”

I was so pumped. This was the first deer that I have targeted and went after. We climbed down after a little while and I finally got to lay my hands on the buck that I have worked so hard to get. We scored him the next day and I was surprised that he grossed 148 3\8”.

1040-countdown_8.jpg

1040-countdown_7.jpg

1040-countdown_9.jpg

God has blessed me so much and I am thankful to have all these amazing memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I also am very blessed to have an awesome Dad that got me started so long ago and has taught me every thing I know.

Good luck to all of you and your families this hunting season!

What an awesome story. Congratulations on your sons buck.

I had a very similar experience with my cousin. From patterning the buck to the harvest of the buck on the second day of youth season.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Trenton, well done. "Dad that has taught me everything I know". Pretty sure your dad added that part in when he posted this :DD

Congrats Wayne, you have done well with those kids.

Congrats Trent, awesome buck and awesome write up on him. Looks like you are definitely a chip off the ol block!!!!

Kratz

Top Bottom