Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Junior is back... Shot Nov - 7th

cjgarrett

I told the story of Junior on a previous thread and explained how i remembered the arrow striking him on the evening of the 7th. I never did recover him and most of you guys said he would show back up, and you were correct. But after seeing the pictures of him, I'm still a little confused! So i am looking for some answers from the wise!

The first pictures shows the entry hole, the second pic shows a bare spot that was a huge infected sore last week. I believe that the arrow is still lodged inside of him, causing the previous infection which caused the hair to fall out. Thoughts?

picture.php

picture.php

I've got nothing for yo CJ, except that I can see why you were so confused why he wasnt dead.

I would assume (depending on angle) that you were in fact above the spine. Which means you had to miss it by millimeters.

WOW.

I've got nothing for yo CJ, except that I can see why you were so confused why he wasnt dead. I would assume (depending on angle) that you were in fact above the spine. Which means you had to miss it by millimeters. WOW.
Agreed x2 ....survival machines...

From the pictures, I cannot figure out why he did not die? I hit one last Monday not quite as good, and he went 65 yards and died?? Strange deal.

First picture is entry, second is exit. I shot him on his left side, elevated in a tree. That shows the angle that the arrow traveled.

So is the first pick after the shot or just where it should have been at? In my head the exit hole should have been much lower if you were 20' up and at 20 yards unless it hit bone and deflected.

I assume you are gun hunting at some point so hopefully you can get him and we can get some definite answers.

I don't think people realize how far down the spine dips at that shoulder location. I'm also with the thought process that you went just over the spine.

The first pick shows the entry hole. The arrow never exited, it lodged in the top of his scapula.

And I am not gun hunting but i plan on finishing what i started and getting the answers!

What kind of broadheads were you using? It appears the entry side may very well be above the spine. My other thought would be a potential broadhead failure. I've seen multiple deer shot with bows and bullets that did not deflate the lungs. In fact my buddy just shot a doe with a 12 gauge through both lungs. It gelled one, but the other was still inflated upon field dressing. They are very tough animals and a single lung hit buck could certainly live.

Any chance the bare spot on the right side was from fighting?

No, the first picture i got of him showed a big swollen, infected area on his right shoulder. He was not seen on camera for almost 2 weeks and had lost a bunch of weight. I believe the weight loss was from being ill, not the rut. I do not believe he would be fighting with his injury.

No, the first picture i got of him showed a big swollen, infected area on his right shoulder. He was not seen on camera for almost 2 weeks and had lost a bunch of weight. I believe the weight loss was from being ill, not the rut. I do not believe he would be fighting with his injury.

In regard to the sack popping, I had the same thing on a buck in late January on his neck. Swelled up the size of a volleyball and was pussing. It popped after two weeks and he lived until a car hit him in the fall.

Top Bottom