Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is my #1 buck coyote bait?

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
Looks like my #1 is injured. Not sure if he got shot in the back leg or if he just broke it somehow. He doesn't appear to be slowed down from it, but I'm wondering what his future might be. Will this heal, will that foot just get infected and maybe eventually fall off, or is he just an easy target for yotes now?

https://youtu.be/LsaYAm3aGV8

It's hard to tell. He might just be really sore right now and pull out of it. Where is this snow???

I try to be optimistic, but that does not look good at all to me. Best of luck to that deer. Hopefully you find out one way or the other if he makes it.

He may live but likely won't completely "recover" full function of that leg. Tough to be top dog or do much breeding with a bum rear wheel. Interesting to see what he grows for headgear if he does make through to next year.

I'm sure that he will survive, it must not be his #1 concern as he's still up on his feet and acting like a buck. The odds are pretty high that he might drop his antlers alot sooner that the other deer. Once his body recognizes that injury his testosterone level might plummet.

I'm sure that he will survive, it must not be his #1 concern as he's still up on his feet and acting like a buck. The odds are pretty high that he might drop his antlers alot sooner that the other deer. Once his body recognizes that injury his testosterone level might plummet.

^^this

he may have already shed his antlers if thats from 11/22. and if not, he likely will be loose right now. I would suggest scouting food sources hard when the cold snap hits looking for a deer with that rear limp, and then looking for the sheds asap after season if we dont get a foot of snow. or if we do, as soon as it melts. We have taken many mature bucks with previous leg wounds. They heal surprisingly well. His leg might end up swelling and being a stiff rear leg. Hard to tell what his antlers will do for 2016. may stay the same or grow as normal, may grow odd on the opposite antler from the injury, may end up several inches smaller.

Top Bottom