Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

UA or Sitka

I personally, have had nothing but poor results with UA. Gloves, shirts, pants- whatever. U name the problems: falling apart, not wicking away sweat well, cheap quality, not as warm, etc.
Hands down, merino wool out performs in every area for base layers. Not all perfect but by far - leaps and bounds better. Sitka- better as well. Had one issue with Sitka suspenders but otherwise leaps and bounds better.

The ONLY thing I personally, IMO, think UA has going for it is the MARKETING. Products have been consistent failures for me across the board. Merino wool and Sitka get my vote.

I personally can't see paying that much for my setup (sitka). I think it's crazy. I have UA infrared and have been happy. Maybe I am more tolerant of cold but I haven't froze yet. Merino wool is no question better for a baselayer and I would bet for any other layer as well. I am working on getting all inner layers in wool.

Not an UA fan. There are better options on the market. They may not have the money to sponsor every so called "professional" or celebrity. There are endless options that will keep you warm, dry, mobile, and comfortable in the cold.

Sorry, I'm not sticking with your original two, but I just bought the Cabelas Berber fleece pants and wooltimate pullover, both with windshear. Theyre not quite as warm as I was anticipating, but I did a couple all day sits on a couple of the coldest days of this year so far without too much issue. My base layers could use some upgrading as well which would make the setup much better. Both garments are super comfy, and not bulky. Just another suggestion.

For that mid to late season, windproof warmth.....go

I hope you are not referring to this year...where mid to late season warmth requirements would be...a T-Shirt and shorts! :D :D You should be asking about suntan lotion preferences! :D

My boys have some UA stuff that has been OK, but not great, and I do not have any experience with Sitka gear. I know I am probably an old fuddy duddy, but I am still using my Saddlecloth, which I am not even sure if it is still made today, outerwear that is probably 20 years old now...but it still works excellent in my mind.

X2 on the saddlecloth! I got pics from 97' in mine and still wearing today. I bought the UA infrared last fall and have only used twice. Continue going back to my old gear! Can't speak for the Sitka gear but I have only heard good. Just my .02

Both are great marketing not great clothing.

Sitka is by far the best hunting clothing on the market! Made with very high quality without a doubt...most people who knock Sitka either A) have never worn it or B) can't afford it...but here's how I look at it...if I spend 250-300$ on let's say Scent lok but have to buy it every year or spend $600 on Sitka and have it last for who knows how long wouldn't you be money ahead to buy the Sitka...the old saying you get what you pay for is very true when it comes to spending all day 20 ft in a tree in all types of weather!!! I personally own the Stratus suit, core heavyweight top and bottom, Sitka pack(which happens to be the greatest pack ever) and have the Fanatic suit on the way!!!!!!

To answer the OP the Stratus suit has been a god send this year but if it was very much colder I would want the Fanatic

Sitka might be great but no way its worth what they charge. Guys say they pick up burrs 100 yds away. Not about affording it but straight finding it unnecessary imo. Like my truck, Brand new Duramax would be nice but the one I have with 220k works just fine. I don't need to spend that much to have a great hunt.

IMO UA is not that great. There are other options that are on par with Sitka at maybe a better price. Cetain items from cabelas, Core4 and First Lite come to mind.

Last edited:
Sitka is by far the best hunting clothing on the market! Made with very high quality without a doubt...most people who knock Sitka either A) have never worn it or B) can't afford it...but here's how I look at it...if I spend 250-300$ on let's say Scent lok but have to buy it every year or spend $600 on Sitka and have it last for who knows how long wouldn't you be money ahead to buy the Sitka...the old saying you get what you pay for is very true when it comes to spending all day 20 ft in a tree in all types of weather!!! I personally own the Stratus suit, core heavyweight top and bottom, Sitka pack(which happens to be the greatest pack ever) and have the Fanatic suit on the way!!!!!!

To answer the OP the Stratus suit has been a god send this year but if it was very much colder I would want the Fanatic

Most people who love it can't knock it because of how foolish they would feel after spending that much. ;) Its good clothing, not worth the money IMO but its better than a lot of stuff. My sitka lasted one hunt before I retired it.

Most people who love it can't knock it because of how foolish they would feel after spending that much. ;) Its good clothing, not worth the money IMO but its better than a lot of stuff. My sitka lasted one hunt before I retired it.

This site won't let me send a PM. If your Sitka gear is XL and in the Elevated II pattern I'm looking for the Schacket if by chance you have it. I have most of the other stuff Thanks

This site won't let me send a PM. If your Sitka gear is XL and in the Elevated II pattern I'm looking for the Schacket if by chance you have it. I have most of the other stuff Thanks
The Shacket is the best garment ever created!!!!!!!!

Sitka is introducing for 2016 a Fanatic Lite Bibs with full length zippers. Perfect for mid temps when the Fanatic is to warm it will go great with my Fanatic Lite jacket. I'll be getting ahold of Boyd to put mine on order!!

Sitka is introducing for 2016 a Fanatic Lite Bibs with full length zippers. Perfect for mid temps when the Fanatic is to warm it will go great with my Fanatic Lite jacket. I'll be getting ahold of Boyd to put mine on order!!

I am glad they are being back the fanatic vest, will buy for sure!!

Sitka is a far better choice. Everything I've ever owned from UA has fallen apart. Gloves, shoes, shirts etc. Cheap labor and cheap product.

FYI: Patagonia has many of their Merino wool base layers 50% off online right now. I ordered a dozen items literally 10 years ago and what I haven't lost is still in great shape. It's amazing quality. I am replenishing with this sale.

Top Bottom