Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CVA Optima V2 Loading Question

cjc77z4

Me again...so new at this I'm not even sure I'm loading this thing right.

I'm using 2 white hot pellets and Hornady SST 250gr......I will be switching to BH Powder after the season.

For those that have the Optima V2...is the ram rod that's supplied with it the proper length to seat 2 pellets and the sabotted bullet without the extension? I feel like it's too short...so I screwed on the extension to load.....which If this is what I need to do will be a pain in the field.

So with the extension....I pushed everything down in one motion until i couldn't anymore. Then for good measure I have it one last hard push to make sure it was down and it gives a little bit each time I do this. So you think I'm actually feeling the pellets break.....are the pellets just seating into the small hollow cavity in the sabot...or have I pushed too hard.

You should be able to feel your bullet touch the pellets. It should just touch the pellets and not crush them in any way. If you think you might have I would suggest reloading. Maybe even take out your breech plug and practice loading just the bullet a few times to get the feel of much force is needed. You can push it straight out through the breech.

I don't know about your particular gun but this is what I do. In hunting situations I put my extended t-handle and a longer jag on my ramrod and carry it in my gun case or chair sit up. It is right next to me if reloading is needed. I don't know if anyone else does this but I can reload quickly and comfortably if needed.

When you feel like you have a good load mark your ramrod so you'll always know your bullet is fully seated.

You want consistent loading for the best accuracy. Petey has some great tips. Drop the pellets in first and smoothly push the bullet in until it stops. No need to use a ton of force.

You want consistent loading for the best accuracy. Petey has some great tips. Drop the pellets in first and smoothly push the bullet in until it stops. No need to use a ton of force.
Yep^

I never use the jag extension in the field for quick reloading, I shoot 3 pellets though. You'll feel it seat once it bottoms out, any pressure past that isn't necessary. I usually put a dab of bore butter around the sabot so it slides easy too.

Also,once you can get an estimate of where you should be by dropping the ramrod in the gun empty then add the length of the load (pellets & sabot etc.). Put a little mark or masking tape on the rod. Then when you feel it stop against a load near that mark, make a more permanent index mark on the rod & be sure to load to that mark all the time.

I think I figured it out ....I was using it wrong. I guess you unscrew the palm saver from the jag.....put the jag over the bullet...then put the palm saver over the other end and push down.

I know....stupid....but hell this muzzloader thing is pretty different than any hunting I have ever done

Where the palm saver goes, get a universal bullet aligner and screw it in there, and it can stay there on the ram rod, carry the palm saver in your pocket, Wally mart is having a sale on there M/L stuff now.

Well..I just went and finished sighting in. The ram rod IS too short without the extension. I loaded it with the normal 2 pellets and a sabotted bullet. I used the extension and then removed the extension. I was able to push the normal ram rod an the way in without ever touching the bullet. I had to screw the extension on to even get it out of the barrel. I'm going to call CVA on this. Maybe I got the wrong ram rod....like the one for the wolf or something.

That's pretty crappy. I'd suggest a spin jag. I put one on my accura ramrod and just leave it on there. It sticks out past the end of the barrel but doesn't hurt anything. I dont use the palmsaver. Just a glove or a couple folds of my coat work just fine!

On my CVA the fixed jag unscrews exposing a few inches of extension rod the telescopes out and screws in the end of the rod. Bet yours does too.

They stopped doing that with the 2010 models, people were complaining that they were scuffed up and were breaking from screwing the end out and breaking it off then wanted new ones, so they went to a 1 section rod.

Mine is the same, I carry an extension with me and screw it on to reload. Have it in my pocket and it takes just a second. I leave the palm saver on and put it on the other end just like target practice. Works alright for me.

Top Bottom