Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Matthew's Season

NWBuck

PMA Member
I know many of you have watched my son Hunter pretty much grow up on this site, but this post is about one of his best friends, and also his cousin, our nephew Matthew. They are basically the same age...both juniors in high school. A couple of years ago we were able to convince Matthew that spending a fall chasing whitetails was time well spent :D It didn't take a lot of work, and even though I'm sure he'd say we were instrumental in helping him get his start in deer hunting, the truth is, this young man taught himself more than anyone else ever did. Anyway, after a fall of near misses a year ago, he was more determined than ever to make it happen this fall. He spent the spring and summer shooting, shooting, and shooting some more. By late summer it was obvious that he was a dead eye!! His family lives in central Iowa, and he came up here to NW Iowa to spend weekends with us and hunt several times this fall. These have been by far my favorite weekends...even if I never get out for myself. On November 12th, he came up...and all 3 of us played hookie from school for a Friday hunt. I spent that morning sitting in a stand on one of our lease farms, and had nearly 20 deer walk by within shooting range...including a couple of decent bucks. There was no doubt where I wanted Matthew to be sitting the next morning! Fast forward to the next day, and he was in the middle of it. Shortly after sunrise I got a text from him saying he'd shot a spike. I was totally pumped for him, but didn't expect how he'd punked us when we found the buck piled up in a nearby creek. Not a giant, but a dandy first bow kill, and we all had a great time celebrating!!

After filling his bow tag, Matthew set his sights on late muzzleloader season, and a family farm of their's also up in this area. This past Saturday he got a great start to the new year by putting a perfect shot on his first wallhanger. He shot this perfect 10 pointer at almost 140 yards, and true to form, the thing piled up a short distance later in a nearby creek :D

In a day or two I'll post the story of Hunter's season...a totally different story, and for different reasons, but the fall of 2015 will go down as one of my favorites! Yes, I've shot a couple of deer...but that's not what's important. These young men are fantastic hunting partners, and I hope that even after they graduate we can enjoy many more similar falls. Congrats on a great season Matthew, and here's to many more to come!!

NWBuck

Tell Matthew congrats! Heck of an accomplishment. Also , judging by the big smiles, I'd say he's hooked for sure!

That's great, love seeing the youth getting after it! Congrats to Matthew!

Yes, great stuff! Congrats to all, I can definitely speak from experience here(as my two boys are 23 and 21 now) that the very best times are what you are experiencing right now NW. Love to read to these accounts!

Top Bottom