Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Deputy- Late Muzzleloader Buck

koday88

I was able to take a buck we named "The Deputy" on the afternoon of December 29th. It was the first day after the snow storm and the conditions were perfect. The Deputy was a great 4.5 year old buck. We had planned on giving him at least one more year, but his back right leg was badly injured. He couldn't touch it to the ground or put any weight on it whatsoever. His hoof and leg were badly infected. Once I saw this, coupled with the fact that he didn't show up on our farm until late-November the past two years, it made my decision easy. I was fortunate to make a solid shot on him at 117 yards and he only made it about 10 steps before going down. I was able to capture the hunt on video as well. I was, and still am, very proud of this buck and all the hard work that went into harvesting him. I will certainly remember this hunt forever. It was a good ending to an overall tough year of hunting. Looking forward to shed season and starting the process all over again.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Congrats. That deer is a stud. Any idea what happened to his leg?

Thank you! No, we aren't sure what happened to his leg, but we are hoping to gather more info on the time frame of the injury once we pull cards on Monday. It looks to maybe have gotten caught in a fence or something of that nature. It was badly injured about midway up his back leg. The lower leg and hoof were swollen to about twice the normal size. I'm sure it would have messed up his antlers next year even if he would have made it through the winter. Disappointing, but I'm not complaining!!

Awesome deer man, congratulations! Did you video it all yourself, or have a hunting partner? Can you post the harvest? I have really gotten into trying to capture as much footage as possible the last 5 years or so deer hunting and enjoy watching others as well. I did get some footage of the buck I harvested this year, just didn't get the kill on video. It happened way to fast when he came in to the decoy!

Awesome deer man, congratulations! Did you video it all yourself, or have a hunting partner? Can you post the harvest? I have really gotten into trying to capture as much footage as possible the last 5 years or so deer hunting and enjoy watching others as well. I did get some footage of the buck I harvested this year, just didn't get the kill on video. It happened way to fast when he came in to the decoy!

Thanks a lot! I was videoing myself this hunt, but normally one of my brothers is running camera or vice versa. The footage sometimes has lower quality when self-filming, but I love the added challenge. I will be working on editing our 2015 footage in the coming month and I will have our videos posted to YouTube once I am finished. So I will be sure to share it with everyone on here once the process is complete. We are relatively new to the videography part of hunting, so there is always something new to learn. I try to learn from whoever I can, so I'd love to see some of your hunts as well!

That's not a Deputy...that is a Sheriff!!!! :) beautiful buck, congrats!

Thank you! Haha.. It is quite ironic you bring up the "Sheriff". This buck was named The Deputy due to his similarities to another buck on our farm (named The Sheriff) that sadly we have not seen since last November.

Top Bottom