Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody enrolled in pollinator mix

dandeez

Just looking for a little bit of info on the pollinator mix CRP program. Wondering if there is anybody that has enrolled in it and how it is for deer habitat if they feed in it or bed in it much. From the research I've done on it you can incorporate brush piles through out it for nesting purposes and cut branches for edge feathering. I also read that you can use 25% legume seed so I was thinking about adding in some white clover for deer to feed on. Anybody that can give me some more info on the mix or maybe let me know how it has done for them would be great thanks a lot.

I enrolled 18 acres in the pollinator program in Missouri. Have seen quite a few deer beds in it and have noticed a big increase in the amount of deer activity on that part of the farm. We put alfalfa down when we planted our mix. I'm not sure about the brush piles. Have also seen quite a few deer eating it when it was green in early season.

We have a little field about 8 acres bordered with a clover fire break in the pollinator program. The deer seem to love that place. I think they like to eat the flowers in the pollinator mix as well as the clover. We've kicked bedded deer out of it too. Hopefully the pheasants come around and find it as attractive as the deer.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

We put in 39 acres. This will be the first year but it should add to the habitat as it butts up to a wetland reserve piece of planted trees and grasses.

3 acres going in, but haven't planted it yet.

I wish the cost share was better, seed is expensive!

3 acres going in, but haven't planted it yet.

I wish the cost share was better, seed is expensive!

We are putting in a small plot as well. We are getting a $150 per acre sign up incentive and 50% cost share so establishment wont cost us anything and might even come out a little ahead.

That's good, I didn't get the sign up bonus, since it was expired CRP. It will probably cost me $100 an acre to plant.

Thanks everybody for the info on the program. We are working on getting 45 acres put into the program right now, just trying to learn as much as I can on it before we decide on what exactly to put in our mix. I'm wanting to take all the right steps on putting this land into a great program that will beneficial to the wildlife and keep as many deer hanging around as I can. Thanks guys

After some of you have had this in for a yr or 2 I have a couple ?'s. How did the deer use this in the fall, also if they fed at all in it do you think it was the clover that you added extra? I'm only puttin in 2.5 acres but want to make it as benifical to the wildlife as possible. I'm not as worried about using it for cover as I already have 35 acres of switch.
Thanks

i was thinking of planting about an acre at my house actually. do much grass to mow and not enough to be worth while for CRP

Just looking for a little bit of info on the pollinator mix CRP program. Wondering if there is anybody that has enrolled in it and how it is for deer habitat if they feed in it or bed in it much. From the research I've done on it you can incorporate brush piles through out it for nesting purposes and cut branches for edge feathering. I also read that you can use 25% legume seed so I was thinking about adding in some white clover for deer to feed on. Anybody that can give me some more info on the mix or maybe let me know how it has done for them would be great thanks a lot.

I just planted 30 acres of it this past November. I added in a little over 8 acres of burn strips for a total just shy of 40 acres. The firebreak mix consists of plenty of food for everything from deer to quail and in between. Get with NRCS and take advantage of the firebreaks you can put in to make sure you've got strip plots while getting paid for them.

Top Bottom