Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Michigan

I read it in the Internet so it must be true. Maybe of bunch of people will sell their farms cheap in Iowa to buy property in Michigan!

Ha! Now that's a good one! Wow, just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on Facebook I guess!

That's no april fool's joke, MI is the real deal!!! Mitch Rompola shot a state record giant off N MI public land & only 5 or some odd years later killed a world record off of public!!! Heck, with those coming off public, I gotta imagine, most private land is filled with 250"+ deer dying of old age. Low hunter pressure, most deer die of old age, never run into other hunters, most guys pass up even premium genetic 5 year olds, most of which score over 200" easy.
ok, 2 buck limit with a gun season in the middle of the rut with the 2nd or 3rd highest hunting population in the country, crossbows all archery season. Ya, I mean if that doesn't SHOUT "THE BEST!!!!" to you, you're missing the boat, start putting in your preference points folks, those non-resident permits don't sell out but when the number of hunters from other states coming there DOUBLES when this info gets out - going from 25 NR tags to 50 in one season, come on folks - the people of MI are gonna tighten the reins on that gold mine of management. Get it while the gettin's good!!! 2016 for me and out of tradition, I base my inches I'll shoot - MINIMUM - based on the year I'm hunting, 2014, 2015, 2016 (just taking out the "0") - so 216" or better or I don't even lift my binoculars up this 2016 season. Let's be real, you don't see many that score below that anyways though. Yet, you never know, the pen/high fence I'm hunting is a new one and twice the size of last year, it's 20 acres.

That's no april fool's joke, MI is the real deal!!! Mitch Rompola shot a state record giant off N MI public land & only 5 or some odd years later killed a world record off of public!!! Heck, with those coming off public, I gotta imagine, most private land is filled with 250"+ deer dying of old age. Low hunter pressure, most deer die of old age, never run into other hunters, most guys pass up even premium genetic 5 year olds, most of which score over 200" easy.
ok, 2 buck limit with a gun season in the middle of the rut with the 2nd or 3rd highest hunting population in the country, crossbows all archery season. Ya, I mean if that doesn't SHOUT "THE BEST!!!!" to you, you're missing the boat, start putting in your preference points folks, those non-resident permits don't sell out but when the number of hunters from other states coming there DOUBLES when this info gets out - going from 25 NR tags to 50 in one season, come on folks - the people of MI are gonna tighten the reins on that gold mine of management. Get it while the gettin's good!!! 2016 for me and out of tradition, I base my inches I'll shoot - MINIMUM - based on the year I'm hunting, 2014, 2015, 2016 (just taking out the "0") - so 216" or better or I don't even lift my binoculars up this 2016 season. Let's be real, you don't see many that score below that anyways though. Yet, you never know, the pen/high fence I'm hunting is a new one and twice the size of last year, it's 20 acres.

Skip...did you hit the mother lode of caffeine or something? :D :D You're killing me! LOL! :D

There is a guy on another site that owns land in Waupaca County Wisconsin and he claims that he has the best big buck hunting in the USA, because they enter a lot of P & Y bucks.

Tried to argue with him on 3-4 different occasions, that parts of IA or Kansas would (probably) be better than what he has, but he will have nothing of that argument.

*The majority of P & Y Bucks are never registered in Iowa, my guess.

Last edited:
There is a guy on another site that owns land in Waupaca County Wisconsin and he claims that he has the best big buck hunting in the USA, because they enter a lot of P & Y bucks.

Tried to argue with him on 3-4 different occasions, that parts of IA or Kansas would (probably) be better than what he has, but he will have nothing of that argument.

*The majority of P & Y Bucks are never registered in Iowa, my guess.

I too would be of the opinion that the majority of the P&Y bucks in Iowa are never registered.

I know of a couple of neighborhoods here in Iowa that the people hunting there consider mere P&Y's to be babies essentially. Almost nothing gets shot until it is in the 180"+ range, unless, believe it or not, they judge a 160"ish buck to be "topped out" and it might get taken as a management buck. Taking a 190"+ gross is just about an every year deal on some of these farms.

Let's just say that there isn't much publicity sought by the folks in these areas and the Wisconsin guy can think what he wants to, but IMO he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows. ;)

Daver--I think you know who I'm talking about. For whatever reason some areas register more bucks than others. I know Wisconsin is a good big buck state, but, the best?? That could lead to a good discussion.

Daver--I think you know who I'm talking about. For whatever reason some areas register more bucks than others. I know Wisconsin is a good big buck state, but, the best?? That could lead to a good discussion.

Agreed. :D IMO, if SE Minnesota, much of central and lower Wisconsin, northern Missouri and most of northern and central Illinois would change their regs and/or ethics to effectively limit buck harvest, particularly young bucks...all of those areas would instantly become equal to, or greater than, the best areas in Iowa.

But the common limiting denominators in those areas are gun seasons during the rut and/or high powered rifle seasons where bucks are fair game. The "dirt" in Iowa, while generally of high quality, does not have unique qualities that allows only us to grow old deer. These other areas that I mentioned have equal, or better, cover, terrain, food and soil...but somehow a very large percentage of the bucks are harvested each year and relatively few make it to their 5th birthday, or beyond.

These "neighborhoods" in Iowa that I am obliquely referring to are essentially self managed to ensure that almost all of the bucks get to their 4th or 5th birthday before a decision is made about their future. :D When you break it all down, that's the bottom line IMO.

P&Y "bragging rights" on the record book.... 1) It really doesn't mean anything, long long explanation on that 2) It's not like B&C where bucks have to be 170" net or whatever and some huge figure (I don't know) like 195 NT net to make it. What I'm saying is: P&Y in most states can easily be comprised of deer as young as 2 years old, many are 3. Well, in a lot of places like Iowa, Kansas, etc - those bucks simply don't get shot. Which areas have the most B&C would be a BETTER indicator as those are generally more mature animals. But even there with B&C, still have to factor in: how much habitat does a state have, hunter density, how many guys does your gut tell you don't even enter bucks, etc. Just means nothing really.
So, WI can have 10x the # of P&Y with 15 times the habitat and 3-5 times the deer population. So, they slaughter a lot of 2-3 year olds. It's meaningless statistics and surely meaningless to compare it against Iowa.

Someone from Wisconsin is convinced that their state is the greatest and can't be persuaded otherwise!! I am SHOCKED! I used to be to many farms doing service work and i saw tons of huge bucks laying in sheds and barns shot during gun seasons and never registered with b&c. A couple over 200" even. I myself have none of mine registered either, I am betting a majority in Iowa are not in any book.

P&Y "bragging rights" on the record book.... 1) It really doesn't mean anything, long long explanation on that 2) It's not like B&C where bucks have to be 170" net or whatever and some huge figure (I don't know) like 195 NT net to make it. What I'm saying is: P&Y in most states can easily be comprised of deer as young as 2 years old, many are 3. Well, in a lot of places like Iowa, Kansas, etc - those bucks simply don't get shot. Which areas have the most B&C would be a BETTER indicator as those are generally more mature animals. But even there with B&C, still have to factor in: how much habitat does a state have, hunter density, how many guys does your gut tell you don't even enter bucks, etc. Just means nothing really.
So, WI can have 10x the # of P&Y with 15 times the habitat and 3-5 times the deer population. So, they slaughter a lot of 2-3 year olds. It's meaningless statistics and surely meaningless to compare it against Iowa.

Very true, there are a lot of borderline 125-130 inchers shot over there. Buffalo County registers a bunch, some giants too, many are shot while hunting with outfitters.

Someone from Wisconsin is convinced that their state is the greatest and can't be persuaded otherwise!! I am SHOCKED! I used to be to many farms doing service work and i saw tons of huge bucks laying in sheds and barns shot during gun seasons and never registered with b&c. A couple over 200" even. I myself have none of mine registered either, I am betting a majority in Iowa are not in any book.

I know a barn that has about a dozen if not more over 200" that have never gone in the books.

Everywhere else is better than Iowa, Yepper, Ten four....end of conversation. Haha! Wink, wink!

Go Hawks, Clones, Panthers, etc!

To me it doesn't really matter what state is the best as far as producing. Because in all reality you never are going to hunt an entire state. You are going to hunt certain pockets or areas. There are places all over the nation where deer get to great size because the landowners or people with permission manage the herd effectively. There are members on here whose farms would have to rank right up near the top for trophy whitetail farms, but for every one you know about I feel like there are multiple places and areas that giant deer are harvested that will not be known to the Internet or masses.
And I'm all for allowing people to not think Iowa is the best. Because if the pressure wasn't so intense in Iowa it could get even better

HEY!!!!!! Knock it off yooz guys! :(
We have a ton of issues we're dealing with here in the Murder Mitten, and we are.

Top Bottom