Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

5 for 5

Bowtech84

A friend and I have been taking a local kid (Tyler) turkey hunting for the past 5 seasons. This being his final youth season he made it count and now has gone 5 for 5 as a youth. We got set up before daylight in a usual hot spot and it payed off. The first tom cut loose at 6:03 and by 6:15 we realized we were surrounded by turkeys. Around 6:30 the first gobbler flew down and a few minutes later we had 5 toms strutting 75 yards in front of us. As we were trying to work the toms with light calling we heard a distant gobble behind us. We watched the toms in front of us chase each other around for a while wanting nothing to do with the dekes and the tom behind us gobbled again but this time much closer. We knew he was coming so Tyler positioned the gun where we figured he would come out of the timber. As soon as he got comfortable two of the toms in front of us broke away with their wings tucked and beards swinging headed for the dekes. In the chaos of trying to get Tyler turned back towards the toms committed to the dekes I heard one spitting and drumming over my right shoulder and knew he had to be within 5 yards. As I slowly turned to get Tyler's attention his eyes were as big as pie plates so I knew he could see what I was hearing. As I watched the two toms in front of us make it to the decoys I seen 3 strutters out of the corner of my eye. The first tom came out of strut and started acting nervous and I was about to tell Tyler he better shoot when I heard the gun go off. He put a good shot on him and it was over. My friend was watching the two toms on the decoy the whole time and never even knew about the three that had snuck in from behind us. After the shot he said how did you miss? Then once he figured out what happened he said I was kind of hoping you would miss now what are we going to do next weekend? Good luck to those still trying, thanks to those that share their stories on here.
Shady shed hunter

Wow! Great story, and congrats Tyler!! The young man has quite the record going. Heck, I think it took me five years of trying before I harvested my first one.

Nice write up . May need you to guide me if I can peg one down with my bow . Thinking of trying the reaper again for shot gun .

Good job, Bowtech that is my son in laws, nephew. Good kid, He's been over a few times and he is always interested in my mounts and talks hunting non stop. Thanks for taking him.

Top Bottom