Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anchor point

meyeri

PMA Member
A friend noticed that I anchor with my thumb behind my neck when shooting, I've shot this way so long I didn't even realize it. I shoot with a wrist release and really have no problems in inconsistency or lack of accuracy, but I'm concerned that layers in cold weather might affect my anchor point. Anybody else shoot like this? Should I drop my DL a bit and choke up my anchor point after turkey season?

More than one way to skin a cat. If your accurate and confident I wouldn't worry to much but I would think you might have issues once the layers and hoods start getting in the way. I know that I couldn't get my thumb behind my head with my DL and any time I've played with opening it up even 1/2" my accuracy has suffered.

I do the same thing. I have a small mole that I put my thumb on every time. It is high enough on my neck that hoods and stuff does not get in the way late season. I just have to make sure I pull my gator down far enough preshot. It hasn't been a problem yet and my accuracy is better than before I started using that as another anchor point.

Kisser button, corner of the mouth or tip of the nose everytime. Never worry about where you anchor again.

Consistency is the key, if you can consistently find the same anchor every time you will be accurate. Try practicing with a hood or cold weather clothes and see if you have trouble finding the same anchor quickly. If it's fine, leave it alone.
That being said, being able to put your thumb behind your neck tells me you probably have a very posterior anchor or your DL may be too long. For some people it works just fine, but for many it creates a "floating anchor" or one that is difficult to become consistent.
Another problem with a DL too long is it is more difficult to execute a proper release and follow through. Shortening the DL often makes your form more stable and easier to break the shot with back tension on the release. See where your nock is positioned while at full draw, a good point is vertically in line with your eye. With most bows' string angles that should put the string at the tip of your nose for an additional anchor point, and your knuckles at your jaw line for another anchor point which is more consistent and accessible in cold weather clothing. If the nock is behind your eye that's a good sign that DL is too long and more unstable.

I anchor with my thumb behind my neck. I love the stability it creates. I haven't had issues with anchoring with a hood but will usually get through the layers to reach my neck when shooting of possible. I also use a kisser button in conjunction as a double check.

Thanks for the input guys. I might tinker with it this summer just to see what a shorter DL does. I hate to change a whole lot since I can put them in the boiler room with consistency, but I suppose it can't hurt anything to give it a try.

Top Bottom