Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Up and At'em

Nice head shot, were they gobbling with this rain or not??Went to Black hawk lake yesterday. Just to test my I pilot and things. Fishing was a bust. I like to go to Iowa lakes once a year to remind me how good South Dakota is. Talked to warden and a guy caught 2 17's of the road bank with crawlers.

Nice head shot, were they gobbling with this rain or not??Went to Black hawk lake yesterday. Just to test my I pilot and things. Fishing was a bust. I like to go to Iowa lakes once a year to remind me how good South Dakota is. Talked to warden and a guy caught 2 17's of the road bank with crawlers.

They gobbled pretty good on the roost but shut down once they were on the ground. I was covered in turkeys. This one was in a group with 3 other two year old toms. They all came into the dsd jake but just strutted. Never beat on him or anything.

I fished it Saturday and never got a bite. Storm lake should be turning on any day now.

Finally able to post an update on how my day went got in early and as I walked in I thought to myself: "man that sure looks like a turkey in the tree, but it cant be." So I continued about another 40 yards to where we saw a tom a few days ago while scouting. As it starts to lighten up I begin to hear the first few gobbles of the morning and I just enjoy the sound of the wood ducks and turkeys. Around 5:45 I let out a yelp but no gobble responded so I decided i'd just see what the morning would bring as I could still hear turkeys gobbling further away. Then I hear the unmistakable wing beats of a turkey flying down. Right behind me, that's right the thing I walked under and thought a turkey was a tom. He watched me set my blind up place decoys and didn't make a sound until he hit the ground. He gobbled twice about 30 yards away and continued his way across the ridhe above me and disappeared. Well the day continues without any sightings but he stayed within 100 yards as he'd sound off at every little sound a crow made. Around 10 I look up on the ridge again to see him strutting with 3 hens and once again he disappeared. Well around 11 they showed up again in the same spot about 75-100 yard s away and are making there way across the clear cut as the hens reach the edge of the timber I let out a few purrs and clucks and one hen stopped put her head up clicked and made her way straight to me bringing the group with. Around 50 yards the tom hangs up and struts his stuff spitting and drumming but the hens were content sitting in the decoys so he made his way down the hill. He went straight to the new dakota jake decoy and began strutting and pecking at its head. This being my first turkey ever in bow range I was suffering of some turkey fever and I didn't know when to draw back so I waited what seemed like forever but he'd never block his head with his fan and he decided he had enough with the decoy so as he turned to walk I drew back and I'm not sure what I did but I shot below him most likely because of the excitement he hopped to 15 yards so I knocked another arrow and drew back. Still standing there I released and watch my arrow nose dive and stick straight up and down behind him in the ground because it hit a small twig. He made his way further into the timber about 40 yards and sat there strutting for 15 minutes until he decided to move on. Needless to say it wasn't the outcome I wanted on my first turkey but it was nice to finally have a bird in range. Hopefully tomorrow will treat me better.

Top Bottom