Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Polaris vs Honda

Now if I was in the market for such a vehicle...I would take a hard look at that Samurai. Good find!

Buddy back in MI has a Samurai. Will go ANYWHERE. places ATVs can't even go. Totally off topic but would be useful in southern Iowa.

I have a 2006 Polaris Ranger 500 efi. Plenty of power for what I've done. Replaced the belt twice, the bed shock once and the battery just this last weekend. Those are the only "major" work I've done to it. I haven't taken it easy on it. Countless loads of firewood. So full that the rear shocks are bottomed out some times. Axel deep stuck twice. On its side once. Been a good machine.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Samurai! Cheap parts, street legal, and will put your side by side to shame. ;)
IMG_20160503_234657_800.jpg

I have a 2015 ranger 900xp, no complaints, only routine maintence. Got a 2 year warranty when I bought it, which is up in Sept. Plan on selling and going to try the Can Am Defender. Looked at the Viking before bought Ranger. One cylinder vs two. Couldn't hear my wife talk if were moving so bought the ranger, maybe should have got the Viking lol

I sold my Ranger 800 this past weekend so need to quickly buy a new side by side.
I've looked at and drove a lot of models in last two days and now am more confused than ever. Wanting one with bigger motor yet still a big box that tips.
I've looked at :
Mahinda
Kawasaki MulePro-FX EPS
CanAm Defemder DPS
Yamaha Viking
Polaris Ranger XP 900
Honda Pioneer 1000

I liked the Honda but not sure I could get used to the constant clanking of gears changing all the time - anyone else drove one of the new Honda Pioneer 1000-3 side-by-sides? Salesman told me the Honda was the least maintenance, but is it worth $3000+ more?

I am late catching up to this comparison but I would recommend checking out the Gravely side by sides. They are built tough!!

Polaris but they are all the biggest POS you own when they leave you stranded . Guy that I know through work has 40 miles of private trails that are membership only in the steepest terrain in Iowa and that's what he swears by . Wouldn't be afraid of the Honda either however - the name sells - look at the resale value on their used ATVs . Pretty hard to kill a Honda Atv . You'll find biased opinions everywhere and to be honest mines not much better because I haven't driven all the brands .

How negotiable are the prices when buying a new one? I see the ranger has a $1400 rebate right now. I was thinking of buying one soon but like everyone else, I am trying to do my homework first to see which brand I want to buy.

I met some guys from Tennessee last September down in New Mexico elk hunting. One of them had a Polaris RZR900 and they all talked about how it would full throttle down the forest service roads and glide through the ruts. They all swore it would be the next one they bought.

How negotiable are the prices when buying a new one? I see the ranger has a $1400 rebate right now. I was thinking of buying one soon but like everyone else, I am trying to do my homework first to see which brand I want to buy.

Not much if any from what I've been told . 2-300 bucks .

I bought a new Yamaha Grizzly 700 last year and they wouldn't budge on the price, eventually got them to come down 200 bucks... Haha I was looking at getting Polaris. My family has always had belt problems with them(sportsman fourwheelers), so it was a no go even though they had very nice rebates. My uncle has a Ranger and has had no problems, but it is belt driven too.

Last edited:
Looked at the Honda and the CanAM but just couldn't justify the extra $3000 it was going to cost. Ended up getting the Polaris Ranger 900 XP and have upgraded wheels and tires, added a roof and folding windshield and have a big winch and snowplow here ready to install (and still have money left over on the $3000 savings)

ranger.jpg

Has anyone looked at the cub cadet challenger? comes standard with power steering and winch. Not a fan of the bucket seats but quite a bit cheaper than a ranger.

I just got done shopping very hard for a new UTV. I narrowed it down to a Polaris Ranger 900-6, Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT & Honda Pioneer 700-4. I ruled out the Honda pretty fast, not sure why but it didn't "fit" what I was looking for. I really liked the Mule Pro-FXT, and was leaning that way before I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I ended up getting this Ranger 900-6 with power steering, a roof and a 5 year warranty for about $1,000 less than the lowest price I could find on the mule.

what was your out the door price? the cheapest I've found for a crew xp 900-6 with eps is 13,666

Top Bottom