Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Draw Results

garg10

FYI - I just checked on the Iowa DNR site and found out my group was successful. Drew Zone 4 with 3 points. I am ecstatic!

This is the first year I'm aware of that nobody with 2 points drew a bow tag in zone 5, I assume that means some with 3 points did not draw as well.

This is the first year I'm aware of that nobody with 2 points drew a bow tag in zone 5, I assume that means some with 3 points did not draw as well.
that's incorrect if you look at last years results. No one drew last year with 2 points

that's incorrect if you look at last years results. No one drew last year with 2 points

MarkF is right. 62 drew Zone 5 bow tags in 2015 with 2 PP. 136 drew Zone 5 bow tags in 2014 with 2 PP. This is the 1st year no one drew with 2 PP in that zone that I am aware of. If you follow the draw stats for Zone 4, it looks like that will be the case there starting in 2017, as well. For Zone 4, 135 drew with 2 PP in 2014, 42 drew with 2 PP in 2015 and 13 drew with 2 PP in 2016.

For those that didn't draw there is another option to get a tag - The Iowa Bowhunters Association is auctioning one off on Ebay. Half of proceeds goes to Iowa DNR and half goes to the IBA.
IBA Deer Tag on Ebay

Free shipping though! You would think for $8100 they could throw in a hunting license and habitat fee.

Hmmmm. Sat on my 3 points and didn't buy a 4th one this year due to some health issues preventing scouting. Hope it wasn't a mistake. No doubt it didn't help when Huntin Fool started pushing Iowa & everywhere else. The information superhighway that is the internet, and overwhelming advertising via media is blowing everything up for NR's. It will only get worse. Unfortunately this is headed to the same place as western states such as region G Wyoming mulie which has gone from 1 to 5 points in no time, with 6 likely next year. I'm afraid NR demand is going to blow things up soon. Either through liberalizing NR tags from increased special interest group pressure, or the state morphing the lottery into another Ponzi scheme aimed at profiting by selling the opportunity to NOT hunt. Based on what I've seen in other states in the last 20 years, Iowa will crack sooner than most think. That will be a sad day indeed. I got some decent public areas in Illinois, but not like Iowa. Still not easy for me to leave 2 tags/$52 for 1 tag/$600. Best get my scouting done and burn my points next year because I expect it to blow up soon after that. At minimum you can count on Iowa transitioning to a bonus point system, because out west the states are figuring out they can make a hell of a lot more money with them by capitalizing on marketing perceived value. Preference point systems discourage fresh young blood/money.

Last edited:
I sat on 3 points this year and didn't purchase a 4th. Big mistake. My buddy was unsuccessful for zone 5 with 3 points this year. My other buddy drew with 3 for same zone...

Hmmmm. Sat on my 3 points and didn't buy a 4th one this year due to some health issues preventing scouting. Hope it wasn't a mistake. No doubt it didn't help when Huntin Fool started pushing Iowa & everywhere else. The information superhighway that is the internet, and overwhelming advertising via media is blowing everything up for NR's. It will only get worse. Unfortunately this is headed to the same place as western states such as region G Wyoming mulie which has gone from 1 to 5 points in no time, with 6 likely next year. I'm afraid NR demand is going to blow things up soon. Either through liberalizing NR tags from increased special interest group pressure, or the state morphing the lottery into another Ponzi scheme aimed at profiting by selling the opportunity to NOT hunt. Based on what I've seen in other states in the last 20 years, Iowa will crack sooner than most think. That will be a sad day indeed. I got some decent public areas in Illinois, but not like Iowa. Still not easy for me to leave 2 tags/$52 for 1 tag/$600. Best get my scouting done and burn my points next year because I expect it to blow up soon after that. At minimum you can count on Iowa transitioning to a bonus point system, because out west the states are figuring out they can make a hell of a lot more money with them by capitalizing on marketing perceived value. Preference point systems discourage fresh young blood/money.

Yeah, I need to start putting in to draw now so I can draw when I'm 52 :rolleyes: Point systems are messed up.

Yeah, I need to start putting in to draw now so I can draw when I'm 52 :rolleyes: Point systems are messed up.

The part that sucks is legislators have absolutely no hesitation throwing the oldest, most invested hunters under the bus when they "change" lottery systems. EVERY state (10) out west where I bought points did this to me. Devalued my points, stealing my hunts, in order to get young guys to buy into their Ponzi schemes. Iowa will do it some day soon.

I always advise young guys to burn their points quickly and not accumulate more than 3-5 otherwise you will get screwed. Book it.

It would seem a little fairer if all the NR deer licenses for each zone were thrown into one pile and not separated into Gun & Bow with different quotas! Zone 5 gun hunters often get one with 0 preference points while the bow hunter now needs at least 3! Each point cost a hunter $50 and another year of waiting!! Is this not bow hunter discrimination!!

It would seem a little fairer if all the NR deer licenses for each zone were thrown into one pile and not separated into Gun & Bow with different quotas! Zone 5 gun hunters often get one with 0 preference points while the bow hunter now needs at least 3! Each point cost a hunter $50 and another year of waiting!! Is this not bow hunter discrimination!!

I think it is great the way it is. Iowa is Iowa for a lot of reasons, but limiting non-resident hunting during the rut is one of them.

As a NR landowner I hope Iowa never changes(although I think it will). If you want to hunt every year you can hunt any other state, and have a lesser quality hunt because of it. I would rather have a great hunt every 4 years than a ok one every year.

Top Bottom