Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident Draw Results

A landowner can hunt shotgun or possibly Muzzy every year, I guess that is kind of a back seat approach but it works. You have to know someone in Iowa to make it work--shotgun, and to be honest you should be there hunting anyway during shotgun or someone or a group will walk/push your farm if they don't see any trucks or activity.

Had it happen three times now, so we just make sure we are there for most of the shotgun season.

I got drawn for Zone 5 with 3 points this year and can't wait for Nov 5th!!!! I'm glad Iowa restricts the amount of NR's that come in. That and no gun season during the rut are two reasons why there are big mature bucks there.

I got drawn for Zone 5 with 3 points this year and can't wait for Nov 5th!!!! I'm glad Iowa restricts the amount of NR's that come in. That and no gun season during the rut are two reasons why there are big mature bucks there.

No guns during the rut
No rifles period.
limited NR tags
low population density (people)
many large tracts of managed private land
limited crossbow use
very fertile soil

Lots of reasons.

Basically everything that Michigan didn't have...lol.

No guns during the rut
No rifles period.
limited NR tags
low population density (people)
many large tracts of managed private land
limited crossbow use
very fertile soil

Lots of reasons.

Basically everything that Michigan didn't have...lol.

Yep. There are many reasons, but I named two. If you change either of those you would see a big difference, especially if they allowed guns during the rut. I envy all of you who live there.

As a nonresident, I also think Iowa's draw system is great the way it is. It preserves the quality on public land, and I like knowing when I will draw. However, I guarantee it will change when the points to draw gets up to 5/6/7. When legislators see a loss of young NR blood/money infusion, they will trash everyone's points because they will morph the system from preference to bonus.......or a 50/50 split as some states have done. Been there, done that far too many times.

Last edited:
As a nonresident, I also think Iowa's draw system is great the way it is. It preserves the quality on public land, and I like knowing when I will draw. However, I guarantee it will change when the points to draw gets up to 5/6/7. When legislators see a loss of young NR blood/money infusion, they will trash everyone's points because they will morph the system from preference to bonus.......or a 50/50 split as some states have done. Been there, done that far too many times.

If it ever hits beyond 3 points, the NR would just not apply and landowners would sell to locals. Three years to hunt is long enough---5/6/7 that just wouldn't fly.

If it ever hits beyond 3 points, the NR would just not apply and landowners would sell to locals. Three years to hunt is long enough---5/6/7 that just wouldn't fly.

I've been trying to draw a certain unit in Colorado to hunt elk for 22 years now and still don't have enough points - if the hunt is good enough people will wait. A 3 year wait is pretty minimal when comparing to what it takes to draw tags for other species around the US.

I've been trying to draw a certain unit in Colorado to hunt elk for 22 years now and still don't have enough points - if the hunt is good enough people will wait. A 3 year wait is pretty minimal when comparing to what it takes to draw tags for other species around the US.

Yeah I doubt it for whitetails. Four years or more to wait to hunt whitetail deer, when you could switch to Kansas, Illinois, SD or Wisconsin--even though it might not be as good--you could hunt four years in comparison to one. I think I have had more deer die from EHD on my farms than bullets/arrows, that is sad situation.

Three would be the cutoff for me. Especially when you have dozens of deer on your farm in the first place, no shortage,.

Elk, I can see waiting for many years...much more rare in species and limited in territory.... and most of the guys that hunt Elk do not own the elk hunting ground.

Yes I'm a N.R. land owner didn't draw with 3 points unit 4. Iowa wins my farm is for sale. Bought it in 2001 drew a tag 2001, and 2002, not in 2003 drew in 2004. $800.00 for 1 buck every 4 years is nuts.

Yes I'm a N.R. land owner didn't draw with 3 points unit 4. Iowa wins my farm is for sale. Bought it in 2001 drew a tag 2001, and 2002, not in 2003 drew in 2004. $800.00 for 1 buck every 4 years is nuts.

Sounds like you had a pretty good run. 1-4 is perfect odds. If you want more chances then move. As a NR landowner you know, or should know there are no guarantees. This is exactly why it can be so good year after year.

Not possible. 13 people drew tags with 2 points in zone 4. So everyone with 3 or more points drew. If you really had 3 points call the DNR and they will fix it.

Yeah I doubt it for whitetails. Four years or more to wait to hunt whitetail deer, when you could switch to Kansas, Illinois, SD or Wisconsin--even though it might not be as good--you could hunt four years in comparison to one. I think I have had more deer die from EHD on my farms than bullets/arrows, that is sad situation.

Three would be the cutoff for me. Especially when you have dozens of deer on your farm in the first place, no shortage,.

Elk, I can see waiting for many years...much more rare in species and limited in territory.... and most of the guys that hunt Elk do not own the elk hunting ground.

I've been playing the points game in +/-10 states for 21 years. Unfortunately, you have no reason to doubt it. In fact it's not a matter of if..........but when. The grandpa of the hunting consultant publications is Huntin Fool, and they added Iowa to their portfolio a couple years ago. They have been pushing hunters across the country to apply in Iowa, along with other publications I am sure. They are primarily a western magazine, but have a huge membership, considering they have been around 20+ years. They encourage young and old hunters alike to build points EVERYWHERE, even in statistically stupid places, such as KY elk & WY sheep. Powerball odds where they will never draw. So, many guys aren't depending on Iowa. They are just adding it to their "portfolio" for future use while they hunt elsewhere. Either way it's a lot of guys jumping in the pool. Watch it will get worse fast. Change is coming.

Last edited:
I've been playing the points game in +/-10 states for 21 years. Unfortunately, you have no reason to doubt it. In fact it's not a matter of if..........but when. The grandpa of the hunting consultant publications is Huntin Fool, and they added Iowa to their portfolio a couple years ago. They have been pushing hunters across the country to apply in Iowa, along with other publications I am sure. They are primarily a western magazine, but have a huge membership, considering they have been around 20+ years. They encourage young and old hunters alike to build points EVERYWHERE, even in statistically stupid places, such as KY elk & WY sheep. Powerball odds where they will never draw. So, many guys aren't depending on Iowa. They are just adding it to their "portfolio" for future use while they hunt elsewhere. Either way it's a lot of guys jumping in the pool. Watch it will get worse fast. Change is coming.

To be fair.....ky elk tags are a lottery. There is no point system. You have the same statistical chance in year one as year 20. Thats why you put in every year. My wife drew last year in year 3. The I'm

Any NR landowners that are serious about selling their small farm(s) in SW Iowa should pm me, I've been looking for that perfect piece of ground for a couple years now...

I did not draw in Zone 6 with 2 points. Not surprised. As soon as I get fired or retired I'm moving to Iowa. Cant wait!

How many acres, and how much of it is crops? Very little land goes to waste in Iowa.

Top Bottom