Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Not sure why I didn't ask this question earlier, is there an advantage to dividing up a large plot vs having multiple plots spread throughout the farm?

Basically there is something there that will feed year round (more or less) and with that rotation you can do it year after year. Also since deer are browsers they like a little this and a little of that typically. With all the diversity of this rotation there is always something there that pleases their palate and nutritional needs.
Now looking at it from a hunting standpoint you may want separate food plots in separate areas to take a advantage of the likely wind direction of when that food source is most palatable and utilized.
There is no perfect answer depends on the person and property.

Last edited:
Not sure why I didn't ask this question earlier, is there an advantage to dividing up a large plot vs having multiple plots spread throughout the farm?
I used to have several smaller plots. I've since condensed down to a few larger plots(5 acres or so each) with pinch points in them. I've found it easier to hunt and predict deer movement with fewer plots. I've got diversity in each plot. I've done dbltree's mix the past few years. This year I'm trying something a little different. I'm putting the cereal grains in 1/2 the plot and beans in the other half. Once the beans turn I'm going to broadcast the brassicas into the turning beans. I did get the beans in early, so hopefully I'll be able to put the brassicas in early September. I realize that's a little later than normal. I think I'm going to spread a little heavier than normal since they are going in late. I know normally you don't want to over seed the brassicas since the plant will all go to tops. Any suggestions or thoughts? Anyone else have any feedback that has done this before?

I used to have several smaller plots. I've since condensed down to a few larger plots(5 acres or so each) with pinch points in them. I've found it easier to hunt and predict deer movement with fewer plots. I've got diversity in each plot. I've done dbltree's mix the past few years. This year I'm trying something a little different. I'm putting the cereal grains in 1/2 the plot and beans in the other half. Once the beans turn I'm going to broadcast the brassicas into the turning beans. I did get the beans in early, so hopefully I'll be able to put the brassicas in early September. I realize that's a little later than normal. I think I'm going to spread a little heavier than normal since they are going in late. I know normally you don't want to over seed the brassicas since the plant will all go to tops. Any suggestions or thoughts? Anyone else have any feedback that has done this before?
I posted this a week or so ago. I would appreciate some feedback on my plan please

I posted this a week or so ago. I would appreciate some feedback on my plan please
That works done it many times maybe go up to 8-10# in that scenario. Last year with the extended growing season I actually had great results. I would get them in as soon as you see them changing.

I put minimum on plots to probably an acre IF I'm gonna do mixes and rotations. Little plots (say .25 acre for example) I just keep it clover or alalfa or whatever.
I do about 1 plot per 30-40 acres of area (say mainly cover). But- I would want multiple so deer have plenty of area and less stress of fighting over core areas and if I Hunt near one- I want to know I have plenty others if one area gets burnt out or not good. So- let's say a guy, per 100 acres had a diverse mix of habitat, I personally would have like 3 plot areas maybe. That's a rough guess. Bigger if a lot of deer or possibly more depending on situation. But it's so hard to say as some farms are one blob of timber and one blob of open field with little break up and structure- well- it'll just be less plots but bigger there. But on. A farm with tons of cover, structure, hidden areas- I think having several plots helps. Putting a # on it is too hard without aerial but I'd just say- a lot of deer- size of plots better be over an acre and want several. Perfect world is big farm with dozen plots all being 4-5 acres & having lots of grain but I'm fully aware that's not reality in most scenarios.

Cereal grains plant really well broadcast into standing beans that are starting to turn. Have you thought about planting half beans, and half brassicas and broadcast the cereals into the beans? I think that would work well as timing would line up better. You want to be planting those cereals early Sept. anyways. If you plant your turnips between now and end of July you'll get nice big bulbs etc and lots of growth vs. planting them later in the yr. say Sept. You could mix some radish, turnips and some rape in the brassica plot too and add some diversity.

Cereal grains plant really well broadcast into standing beans that are starting to turn. Have you thought about planting half beans, and half brassicas and broadcast the cereals into the beans? I think that would work well as timing would line up better. You want to be planting those cereals early Sept. anyways. If you plant your turnips between now and end of July you'll get nice big bulbs etc and lots of growth vs. planting them later in the yr. say Sept. You could mix some radish, turnips and some rape in the brassica plot too and add some diversity.
I thought the cereal grains needed covered up? So I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but timing I agree that would make more sense.

I thought the cereal grains needed covered up? So I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but timing I agree that would make more sense.

yeah the rye and oats are a bigger seed so it does help to get them under ground when you're planting them alone. That being said Rye will germinate practically anywhere. I mean you could probably get some to grow on a gravel road. If you have rain and moisture you will have good luck broadcasting it into standing beans. I'm sure of it. You could also mix in some clover, oats, in there as it wouldn't hurt and it would then be there in the spring and be feeding deer and turkey. That's what I would do if I were you, but its ultimately your choice to make. Good luck!

Yep it will be there and my deer hate me when I till it under. I always leave a small patch of just red clover.

How many pounds per acre of Rye would you broadcast into standing beans?

I thought I understood dbltree's mix and when I ordered from Welters, they told me it was too high. Now I keep thinking about it and I still think I'm to heavy in my mix, I modified it just slightly for this first attempt just based on some seed I already had and cost and whatnot.
For 1 acre:
70# WR
150# pea-oat mix
2# white clover

Too heavy or light or just right? I have enough to up the WR and peas/oats if I can get away with it and not be too crowded. Sorry for the elementary question

Ur splitting hairs IMO. Only thing that stands out to me is clover- I'd go heavier. That's me though. If I seed this mix earlier- I go heavier on legumes of all types & lighten up on oats and rye (just so they don't get tall and nasty). This mix will have a lot of forgiveness on seed rates & mixing things in VS say like a Brassica plot that needs to be far more precise.

Is there an annual clover I can plant with this mix? I see Welter's has a Frosty Berseem Clover. Will that work or should I use something else? Looking to replant this next year this time. I have clover already just don't want to waste space.

Suspect it's a little late for berseem clover. Maybe wrong on that. Nothing wasted about planting something that will come back in spring & continue to feed deer. If you have lots of clover & want to save a few $$$, just leave it out of the mix. Come spring, the fresh rye & your other clover will give the deer some groceries.

Ur splitting hairs IMO. Only thing that stands out to me is clover- I'd go heavier. That's me though. If I seed this mix earlier- I go heavier on legumes of all types & lighten up on oats and rye (just so they don't get tall and nasty). This mix will have a lot of forgiveness on seed rates & mixing things in VS say like a Brassica plot that needs to be far more precise.

Thank you.

No go on frosty berseem. They are saying u can frost seed for spring germination. It's an annual. Put in now- hard frost and dunzo. Go with any of the following, whites: durana, Kopu II, Alice white or ladino (expensive so plan to keep some around for a while but it does fix a ton of N), reds are good to add for a little variety & they r cheap, alsike is good/cheap and good one wet soils, alfalfa is fussier & likes baling but I'll add some super leafy alfalfa & still does fine with some mowing.
If u want cheap disc down- red, alsike for fall. Spring would be berseem, crimson & balansa. But- I'd always add some whites because of how much N they produce and deer love em too. Plus yes- whites can be seeded at lower rates too so really cost isn't much a factor.

Top Bottom