Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts on cabelas Outfitter or O2 Octane camo?

Cclb

I'm looking for a very versatile set of pants and a lightweight jacket. I can't afford Sitka or anything like that, but I like cabelas lifetime guarantee. I really like both the Outfitter and O2 patterns, they look extremely versatile, which I need for both spring and fall hunts in the midwest, but also wyoming and south dakota. I'm just not sure which pieces to go with. Looking for something in the 45 degree range and will layer if it's in the 20s or 30s (or just pull out the heavy gear). Right now I'm thinking the microtex pants and the wooltimate jacket, but I'm concerned that may be too heavy? Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Wooltimate is fairly heavy and very warm. In 45 it will be overkill for sure. I like it but for colder weather.

Wooltimate is fairly heavy and very warm. In 45 it will be overkill for sure. I like it but for colder weather.

That's what I was thinking based on the images. Anything you'd reccomend instead? I definitely don't need any other cold weather gear.

I have the cabelas berber fleece with windshear pullover and love it. I think they have the same thing in wooltimate. 45 degrees is still fairly chilly in the tree and the pullover works great. I pretty much use it all season once it gets below about 55 degrees down to below zero with layers. You definitely can't wear it walking though. I just pack it in and throw it on once in the tree. When it is warmer I will just wear a light shirt under it and when really cold base layers and another heavier sweatshirt. I also have the same vest if it gets brutal out. I also carry in a pair of insulated pants that work well. I have artic shield onyx pants that work great and just bought a pair of cabelas insulated pants that looks like it will do well. I love the outfitter camo. Definitely have to pack it in though or you will sweat like crazy.

Just last year I bought the berber fleece pants and the wooltimate pullover, both with windshear, both in outfitter camo. The camo is somewhat oldschool looking but it works. I evaded more eyes last year than I ever had before. If I did it again, I'd probably buy the pants in wooltimate as well. It's a more durable material than the fleece. I went with the pullover rather than the jacket because I like a hood at times, I like the full pocket in the front for keeping my hands warm and if my recollection is correct, the jacket has an elastic bottom which I did not want. My only gripe about the pullover is I wish they had made the zipper come up a little higher to better enclose your the neck area. As far as warmth goes, I would agree with the above. Above 50 or so and it will be too warm. I wore mine through bow season and all the way through late season muzzy and out coyote hunting in January and February. I have to layer quite a bit once it starts hitting the teens but I can't complain about the clothing. It worked great and is extremely comfortable. I jumped the gun and bought mine about this time last year and should have held off. They run really good sales on these items once or twice a year.

Some decent deals on some Wooltimate gear right now at cabelas. I picked up a Wooltimate pullover with wind shear for $55. They only had the western camo left, but I usually wear a thin outer layer of my predator camo overtop anyway.

Last edited:
I have the berber vest with windshear, maybe had it 10-12 yrs. Had a puppy chew a small spot in the zipper and they replaced the vest for free.

Top Bottom