Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Are WRP properties good investments?

JUNIOR

What do you guys know about Wetland Reserve Programs? I have read and researched about them but I can't seem to find specific numbers for how much they pay with certain contracts.

"Not really" is the right answer. The only exceptions as I can't make a blanket statement.... Buying it "cheap" to start. Then... Turning it into giant Mecca if u can do the enhancements which usually u can get approved. Or - if your neighbor really wants it later. Or you add some non-wrp to it.
I'm gonna guess the value increase is substantially less than a mixed hunting farm. That's starting with buying it for a fraction too. On average - I "sorta" put a blanket value on the wrp at $1k/acre. Sometimes less, say it floods often, and possibly a little more if some non-wrp goes with it. It does have its up sides of bought right. I would not buy wrp if my main motive was increasing the ground value.

If you are talking about the WRP as in buying land that has been enrolled buy some one else and then you are buying the residual land it would have to be cheap. In most WRP situations I would think about 20-25 percent of the value unemcumbered by the covenants of the easement.
Unless it is in an execellent neighborhood from a big deer stand point or you really like to duck hunt or trap muskrats then I would pass on it. Another major concern is shallow water wetlands are prime EHD environments.

Our WRP land is some our best deer holding land. Deer love the cover it provides. I personally have killed multiple deer, ducks, geese, pheasants and coyotes in our stand along with trapped just about every furbearer. Financially I don't know how good of an investment as those are decisions that are made by my dad and grandma but I do know that, coupled with our pollinator plots have made the area an incredible little area for wildlife.

As for enrollment of new easements, it used to pay $/CSR point. At one time was $102/point for central Iowa. I believe they are flat rates now. Different numbers for crop, pasture and timber. Quality of investment depends on the market. If the program is paying close to/as much/more than market value and you can then sell for residual value, then you're ahead. The DNR has purchased a lot of good land at that residual value.

As for investing in a current easement it's entirely site specific. It can be scary along some of the flashier river systems. I currently hunt some riverine wrp that's phenomenal, takes a real serious flood to mess it up and even then, it just gets soggy for awhile. Moisture can make it tuff to manage for good habitat, however. Prairie pothole easements restored to upland/wetland complexes are nothing shy of phenomenal for wildlife, though more geared towards bird enthusiasts.

I would say "no" but it depends if you buy it cheap or not. It can provide good cover and hunting.

Restrictive on food plots too

I have 5 acres of my place in the shallow water wetlands crp that was in contract before I bought it. Same as what you're talking about idk. Idk why or how it's wetlands really, there a half acre pond and a little swampy around it...even last year with all the rain it was never flooded. It pays more than my riparian buffer strip on the good ground that was put in at the same time. Just that little bit or area covers multiple months in Farm payments so idk...works great for me. The storks that hang out there are awfully annoying though. As far as deer cover, I haven't seen much for hanging out in there but they definitely use it as a travel corridor. What I like most is that it sits between the road and the best of my farm as a buffer and a 3rd access route to and from stands. Not what you were asking but works nicely in my situation. If the whole farm was in it, I would have passed just because there's no trees for stands.

Last edited:
WRP in the CRP program is totally different. That's simply CRP that in SOME CASES pays more $ per acre because you do some dirt work to make it more "wetlands like". For example, you put in shallow ponds, cut your tiling, etc. It's still a yearly payment just like CRP. Because it's on bottom ground usually, it's going to have high csr's and pay really well. This last year, my CRP I put in, the WRP CRP and SAFE CRP paid no different BUT that changes all the time. The WRP CRP had me creating some shallow ponds & other dirt work.
WRP farms, obviously should be killer hunting. Whether it's CRP WRP or Easement WRP. it's essentially making your farm into an almost all habitat farm.

Now, regular WRP - the government cuts you a one time check. this is for PERMANENT/FOREVER WRP easement on your land. Totally different than WRP CRP. You get ONE BIG CHECK, done. Government now owns the conservation easement on your ground. No farming & lots of limitations. You can get exceptions for stuff like plots of occasion.
If it were ME - I'd actually sell the easement of my bottom ground into the WRP program BUT, ONLY, ONLY if I took that $ and I bought other ground with it. That's just me though. Selling my WRP easement, I believe I would have to pay income taxes on it though and I don't know or think you can 1031 that $ but I'm not 100% sure. But, let's say (making this up), I could sell mine for $5k acre for my good bottoms into WRP - say I sold 200 acres of that, I'd love to take that $ & go buy something else for that $. Probably buy a nice mixed farm (maybe lacking on CSR's) for $3500 or something. Still retain my hunting rights on my WRP easement I sold, I would just know I'm restricted on that forever.

Good point Skip, if you take the money and buy another income producing farm, it might make sense. I know of quite a few farmers/landowners that regret entering part of their farm into WRP.

You're going to confuse people with all this 'wrp crp' talk skip! But yes, crp wetland programs and wrp (that's actually an outdated acronym now) are different. It's 10-15 yr contract with annual payments vs forever easement with one big check.

Wrp (I think) is now ACEP and I believe these are current rates http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/PA_NRCSConsumption/download/?cid=nrcseprd422613&ext=pdf

It's been some time since I've promoted these programs and it's been a bit hard to keep up with the changes.

Agree Danny!
BUT.... The reality.... Nothing GOVERNMENT out there that doesn't involve massive confusion!!!! ;)
Was trying to clarify regular wrp easement vs the yearly rental crp but sorry on muddying the waters. But ya, like above- 2 totally different things so make sure u are apples to apples. The crp program = awesome, temporary & yearly rental income. Permanent wrp Easement= restrictions big time, one time initial income.
And new names listed by Dannboy. Thx!

Top Bottom