Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow buck

shooter42

Saturday afternoon I had one of the most memorable hunts of my life. We had an unseasonal south wind all weekend. I had plans of hanging a stand Saturday early afternoon along a fence line that I knew got traveled heavily. However, I could not find a tree big enough to hang a stand. I messed around trying to hang a stand in a smaller tree but it wasn't going to work. It was about 3:30 and I was afraid it was getting late to be messing around with a stand so I went against my judgement and decided to hunker down in the fence line behind a down branch, right along the heavily traveled route. About an hour or so into the hunt, I saw a doe working her way towards my direction. If she was going to follow her path, she would walk by at about 25 yards. As I am watching her, I hear a grunt. This buck is behind her coming my direction. He stops about 40 yards down the same path that the doe is taking. For what ever reason, he cuts across the buffer strip and starts walking directly towards me. At this point my heart is about to pump out of my chest. I have my face covered up as much as I can by the down branch. He turns at about 4 yards, gets his head behind some brush and I am able to pull my bow back. He senses something isnt right, he took 3 quick steps and I was able to grunt him to a stop broadside at about 7 yards. It happened so fast, I released my arrow but could not see where I hit him because I was looking into the sun. He took off and ran about 40 yards and piled up. I ended up double lunging him and that was it. I had never been so close to a deer before, it was unreal. After I made the shot I called my uncle Perry (moosehunter) to tell him the story. Not to my surprise, he was out to the field in about 10 minutes! He's not the biggest buck on the farm, but being that I don't have as much time to get out as I would like to, I told myself I was not going to be too picky. It was an awesome experience and one of the greatest rushes of my life. Good luck to everyone out there yet! 2016bowbuck.jpg MeandPerry.jpg

Congrats! Hunting from the ground is an awesome experience when deer come in close!

Nice! Taking a good from the ground is something that many accomplished archers have never done. Congrats!!

Top Bottom