Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer movement update thread

Sat all day yesterday. Lost count of different bucks at 12. 2 shooters but not close enough. Best rut action I've experienced in my 12 years of hunting.

Same stand today....action shut off like someone flipped a switch...
Bout the same here for those two days of hunting, except I wasn't seeing shooter bucks. This warm weather is garbage for getting the deer on their feet. Super frustrating.

Was driving in town tonight and seen two bucks fighting, a small 6 and a small 4 were sparing on the side of the road.

Attachments

• Resized_20161110_214144.jpeg
    Resized_20161110_214144.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 103
Started hunting Nov 2. Yesterday was the worst day yet by a long shot. Dad and I sat all day and didn't see a deer after 9:00am. Talked to 3 other people hunting different areas and they hardly saw a deer move

Come on you guys in a tree! Some of us had to work this morning. Good cool morning and Nov 11th. Killing me to not be out there. We need an update!!

Ishi said:
If I could legally get another buck tag I would be in a tree:)

Same boat....

Kinda sad my season was short this year and missed so many encounters and hours in the deer woods.

SW Iowa. Been on vacation since the 4th And have hunted every day. 0 sightings of shooters and movement has been slow. This morning I have seen 4 does, 4 bucks and a button buck. Biggest deer was 2.5 yr old. I go back to work Monday so I hope the action picks up real fast!

Saw over 30 deer this AM. 6 are over 140", had a 175" 12pt at 20 yards. He blew up from last year! Had him at 20 yards last year too and shot his buddy :)

Pretty slow for me so far this morning. Couple 3 year olds out sniffing around. Feels like lock down in my area. Wondering if the bright moon has them moving all night?

My son is hunting this morning and seeing good action, as of 8:30A he had seen four bucks, but not one of the ones he would shoot. He is pretty picky. He is sitting one of our "rut" stands this morning, downwind of a known doe bedding area. That part is working perfectly...about every 30 minutes a new buck appears and sifts through the area bumping does around. He just needs the right guy to show up...

Meanwhile, I set two traps in the dark last night and went two for two on them...only it was two grinners. Oh well, I am mainly trapping to reduce the egg eater population, so I should be happy with that. :)

A lot of good bucks have dropped in SE. Iowa this last week! Given the warm temps that says...When it's time..it.'s time!!!

A buddy called me after dark and he said it was a good day for movement. He rattled in three different bucks at various times. Three were mature shooter bucks in all seven bucks and several does. His buddy was south of him probably 4 miles I don't know his details other than his day went well also. Poweshiek Co

Excellent deer movement tonight. I probably saw 12-15 bucks...including some good ones. Passed up several shots. ..including one I now wished I would have taken. A 140" class 8 point, 5 year old. But he has broken a g2 off now.

My son saw a bunch, several of them we both saw as we were within 200 yards of each other. As good as the action was though, very little of it was chasing and what little chasing there was tonight was pretty subdued. Deer were very active, but mainly justo doing there thing.

Must have been in the wrong stands this weekend. Friday morning I saw one doe and a 3 coyotes around 7:00am. Coyotes came thru as a group and pushed the doe out of corn. Got a shot at the last coyote but missed. Doe came back out around 8:00am. Afternoon, right at 1:00pm, a decent buck (wide but short tines, maybe 130-145") came thru. Not sure if he was cruising or just moving areas. Think he was 3.5, could be 4.5. Didn't get to sit for evening tho. Hunted midday Sunday. Saw a fawn on the way in, nothing else moving the rest of the hunt.

Saw 26 deer on 2 hour sit Sat Morning. Lot of deer but not real active. Could have just as well been the 4th of July. Sat Evening...4 does. Sun morning nothing....Sunday evening...nothing. Got this sinking feeling.....but then there's a few guys around me (a lot older than me) that say it don't really get good till around the 15th. I've always, including this year, seen the best activity on the 5th. EAST CENTRAL IOWA..

Top Bottom