Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My poison ivy buck

biggest buck

full
img_20161110_162953642.110033
WOW what a hunt!!
The shortest bow hunt I've ever had.
My stand is a mere 10 yards inside the timber off of a bean field.
Walking to that stand a couple days ago, and I was just about 10 yards from it and look up and here comes a nice buck straight to me. He has no clue I'm there. I hunch down real quick, grab an arrow out of my quiver and...... the broad head rattles, it has come loose. Argh!
No time to tighten it as the buck has now closed the distance to 5 yards and stares right at me. I am in a bright orange T shirt at this time, no jacket on yet due to the warm weather. The buck knows somethings not right and begins to turn and leave. So I draw, he runs, I grunt and he stopped in his tracks at 15 yards quartering away! I let the arrow fly and it goes right thru him, taking out both lungs. He ran about 30 yards and crashed!! Very exciting short hunt!!

A couple days later and I am covered in poison ivy. First time I've ever had the itchy stuff.

Last edited:
Congrats love it when it happens like that..... The ivy will be gone in a week or two. Memory of that hunt will last forever.

Awesome buck! Love the smile! When I've had poison ivy in the past, one of the most soothing things I found was to get in the shower and run HOT (almost unbearable) water on the infected area. I have no clue if it is good for it or not, but it feels amazing and will take the itch away for awhile. And I would keep a thick layer of calagel on it as well. Good luck!

Sounds like an adrenaline rush, way to pull it off on a stud. No advise for the poison ivy, I can wade in it and not get it :).....
I used to think I was immune to it to. Been hunting since I was 8, that's 41 years of being in the timber A LOT and never getting it.
Boy was I wrong...
The right side of my face under my eye, above my eye, my forehead are all swollen and broke out. Both arms have patches here and there and won't stop itching.
But on the bright side I dropped my buck off at the taxidermist today and I should have him back within the month.

This just made my day, Craig! I've been offline for quite a while trying to get my daughter's injury squared away and praying for her recovery. Seeing this particular thread just gave me a good, needed smile! Congrats, buddy!

As for the poison ivy, if its still an issue, use Tecnu. Or keep it handy for the future.

Congrats!!

This just made my day, Craig! I've been offline for quite a while trying to get my daughter's injury squared away and praying for her recovery. Seeing this particular thread just gave me a good, needed smile! Congrats, buddy!

As for the poison ivy, if its still an issue, use Tecnu. Or keep it handy for the future.

Congrats!!
Hey Brian! I hope the best for your daughter, I will say a prayer for her recovery.
I'm actually on my way to the Dr now. My eye has now swollen shut and it's started on the other eye now too. Ugh
And thanks, the hunt was super quick and intense!

Last edited:
Top Bottom