Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not Sure What to Think

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I took vacation this week, the 7th-11th. I hunted Saturday morning the 5th from morning until noon also. I just finished my 5th consecutive all day sit. Monday through Friday that is roughly 55 hours on stand, 630am to about 530pm each day. Mornings were very active, lots of young bucks up and moving from basically dawn to about 1100. Each day I did some some mid-afternoon movement as well. I had shot opportunities of 15 bucks, a couple the same buck multiple times.

I passed up a few 120ish 8pts, but I am content to hold out for something bigger. I really didn't see to many does at all, but I wouldn't doubt it if I saw close to 20 different bucks. I found it surprising how few does I saw. I was happy though seeing all the bucks, even though no shooters, imo. I just seemed out not at least getting a glimpse of something a bit bigger. I was also quite happy with never getting busted while in stand or while walking in and out.

Now for the rough part. Today, the last day of vacation I am sitting there in my stand midafternoon. I just woke up actually from a short catnap. I look around and don't see anything, lean back against the tree and close my eyes again. ( I do this quite often as the day wears on all these all day sites. Rarely do I fall asleep for more than just a few minutes and typically if there is a deer coming in I often hear them and I am rarely caught off guard). Well, just a few seconds after I lean back I hear some leaves rustling over my right shoulder, I don't think much of it and just assume its a squirrel again. Then a little more rustling and I hear thuds........I instantly realize that's not a squirrel, that's a deer! I slowly turn my head to the right and instantly my stomach goes to knots and my heart starts pounding as I think 'oh my god' to myself.

This is the moment I have been waiting for, not just all day, all week, but for years. I have been bowhunting for nearly 10 years now. The first couple years the goal was just to shoot a deer. I got a couple 120ish 8's the first couple years and was ecstatic. When I was younger I would pour over the deer magazines while mom shopped, we would have to turn around in the car and look at deer if I saw one. In boy scouts I was out in the woods walking deer trails and finding rubs, not hanging out with the other guys in camp. In the winter I would be obsessed looking at deer tracks in the snow. I have been nuts for deer ever since I was little. My little league baseball coach use to give me shed antlers he would find. Once I got my license if there was a dead buck int the ditch I would be out there cutting off the antlers etc. I have walked who knows how many miles shed hunting . I have learned a ton from the magazines, shows, and sites like this. Point is, I was obsessed from a young age, and still am. I would love to buy my own piece of ground someday, 80 acres does seem realistic. I have been saving since graduating college several years ago. I thought that maybe this obsession would pass after a couple years, but it has only grown. I am completely self taught, growing up my dad did not deer hunt and none of my friends did much either.

I don't consider myself a rookie hunter. I feel quite confident in scouting, cams, knowing how to set up, play the wind, hunt etc. I got to 3d shoots often in the summer and have deer on the mind all the time.I mainly hunt public and a couple small pieces of private ground, one just 10 acres, the other about 50. Both properties have a lot of deer. I have had access to much better ground in Monona, Mahaska, Ringgold, and Decatur county.....but ownership always seems to change or someone else that is in with the landowner closer decides to pickup hunting and I get the boot. So, it has been tough to try and get on a trophy deer. I have got a few trail cam pics and caught a glimpse of 140's or so here and there, but never able to truly get on a trophy and get the opportunity for a shot. To me a trophy is 150+, although there are plenty of 130's 140's that would consider to be as well with certain characteristics.

Well, today that changed. That moment that I have been waiting for for season after season came today. As I was sitting there eyes closed thinking its going to be another vacation gone without a big buck, without something to that will have me looking for a taxidermist I slow turn my head and there he is coming right to me. I only got one picture of this buck. I would guess him to be 165-170. Main frame 10 point with tall brows and a flyer coming off the left G2 that also has its own drop tine and another drop off the main beam on the left side. This is it, this is my moment. In past several seasons I have passed up who knows how many smaller bucks waiting for this. I reach for my bow with my left hand while keeping an eye on the buck and slowly stand. I am able to get turned around and feet set. He goes behind a tree and I draw. He steps out and I give a merp and he stops. I settle the pin, hold the 20 a touch high as he is at about 25 yards and hit the release. Right at the shot I wasn't sure what happened. I didnt hear that thud of a hit and I didnt see my arrow either.

He runs a bit and stops and stands there, I look back to hang up my bow and look back and he is gone, I could find him even with my binos. I wait until 430, get down and cannot find my arrow. I look for blood and nothing, I go the direction he went and find no arrow and no blood. I'm getting a sinking filling. I search the immediate area fairly thoroughly and nothing. I decide to go back to the initial shot and try again. I find my arrow right away....burried in the dirt. A clean miss. I ranged back up the tree and I had simply misjudged the distance. It was only a 20 yard shot, and I had probably aimed closer to 30. I can't believe it, such much time, money and anticipation only to misjudge the distance. I shoot 3d all summer and practice in the yard as well. I am very confident in my shot. I guess I just rushed things, it did happen very fast.

I'm just not sure what to think. Is it going to be nearly another 10 years until I get an opportunity like that? That buck had what I was looking for, tall, mass, bladed tines and my favorite...character. It has been a dream of mine since I was younger to be able to have a buck to put on the wall. I dont just hunt for meat, if that was the case I could tag out likely after just one or two sits. I hunt for the challenge of trying to get on a mature buck. If the access I have I know my chances are very slim. I just can't believe I missed a 20 yard chipshot. So much time, effort, miles on the truck, etc. Today was my chance and I messed it up.

Many hunters go a years and even lifetime without a change at a deer like that. I know I may never get another chance.

Sorry for the long rant, just needed to let it out to some people other than family and friends as the majority of mine don't hunt and most of the ones that do do not take it as serious as me.

So sorry for your miss today, but the passion you talk about in your story is shared by many other bow hunters. Keep your head high, my dad use to shotgun hunt back in the day for deer and would go days without even seeing a deer. When he asks me about my hunts, he always says if your seeing deer you had a great day. Your doing everything right, I know that sinking feeling in your stomach but you have to keep going. The best is yet to come! I'm still waiting for an encounter like yours today.

I had a similar experience a few years ago but I didn't even get the shot at 5 yards. I felt terrible and a little sick to my stomach for about 5-10 minutes and then I realized that I had a smile on my face from ear to ear. It was one of the coolest experiences of my life. Not saying that you should not feel bad right now, but just remember how you felt when it was happening . . . . How cool was that!

That is rough. Unfortunately, I am the kind of guy that would feel sick about it as well. Nothing else you can do other than chalk it up as a good learning experience and keep after it. And the bright side, it sounds like he wasn't too scared? Maybe he'll be back!

Yeah, looking back and realizing I had a clean miss I dont think he even spooked or knew what happened really. Also, luckily it was a clean miss. This was a property that I had to myself the past few years, but ownership has changed so I have to share the peice with now 4 other hunters starting this year. I'm not able to go back out this weekend and am considering trying to find a new place again.

It was a great encounter, just not sure I will ever get another crack at a deer like that again.

Bummer, but we have all been there at one time or another. I know it stings now, but as time goes on you will look back and be glad that you did everything right, except for the shot unfortunately, and beat Mr. Big. There will be another one, some day.

It happens!

Get back on the bike and keep riding...I hope you achieve that dream of buying a hunting farm. There is no better goal!

As a young hunter I feel your pain, and have been there. Last year I made a shot on a buck at 25 yards, he was an absolute beast, but I hit him square in the shoulder. I had a little blood but it diminished, searched 3 days nothing, I was sick to my stomach. (Thinking i would never get another shot) But here's where things change, this year I shot a 150 inch massive, wide 8 point. My biggest deer ever. Moral of the story is don't give up, hunt hard and long. My theory is my time will come. And so will yours, its just wasn't ment to be.

It happens man. You just have to be persistent. Will you get another shot at a 170? Maybe, but they are rare and hard to kill. That's what makes chasing them so exciting. If it makes you feel any better I accidentally hit my release while drawing on a 200 incher at 10 yards. That was 8 years ago and I still think about it all the time.

With high goals comes the chance of high disappointment. Just the way it works in life. I found myself in that phase in life, never did shoot the monster I dreamt of. Messed up on a few. I still dream of shooting a monster but it not top on my list anymore.

Seems everything happens for a reason. Not saying you deserved to miss, but it all part of being a trophy hunter. The highest of highs when you achieve your goals, but heart shattering when that moment is there and you fail. Makes you grow as a hunter.

Season is far from over.

I am firm believer that if you put in the time season after season I will get another opportunity. It will just make it that much sweeter.

I know how you feel, and I'm sure a lot of guys do that have bow hunted for a while. I shot at a giant 8 pt Saturday morning heard it hit but not exactly sure where. It all happened pretty quick, we gave him just over 2 hours to look for blood, never found my arrow and blood trail was bright red blood like a muscle hit started of promising but I just had that gut feeling it wasn't good. Blood trail went from decent to drops to nothing after 300 yards. We searched all day yesterday and then again this morning in a few areas we missed and nothin! Just gotta keep hunting, and know you're time will come. Good luck and keep after it

That sucks, but look on the bright side...you were able to have the experience. A lot of people never see a deer like that in person. And if they do, they don't get the chance to take the shot. And some people don't even get the chance to have a chance at seeing a deer like that due to various health reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I wouldn't be disgusted at myself in that situation...in fact, I can guarantee I would. I've never had the opportunity to miss a giant like that. I've probably only seen one that big from the stand (multiple occasions/years), but never with a good shot opportunity (either too far or no clear shot). Missed what I think was a 150-155" 12 point one year, due to misjudging the distance possibly coupled with poor form (may have dropped my bow arm). Aimed for 30, he was at 25 yds, pretty sure I gave him a hair cut on his back or came really close. Felt bad, but wasn't sure I wanted to take him anyway as I was hoping for a bigger buck that was in the area, so I guess it worked out. Every experience can be a good one if we learn from it. Good luck with the rest of the season and hopefully many more to come!

Yeah, looking back and realizing I had a clean miss I dont think he even spooked or knew what happened really. Also, luckily it was a clean miss. This was a property that I had to myself the past few years, but ownership has changed so I have to share the peice with now 4 other hunters starting this year. I'm not able to go back out this weekend and am considering trying to find a new place again.

It was a great encounter, just not sure I will ever get another crack at a deer like that again.

You sound like a passionate hunter and if you keep that passion I'm sure your day will come again. Do you have different pin's for 20-25-30? Sounds to me if you aim'ed a bit high, slightly misjudged the distance and he was alert upon stopping him he may have ducked under it. I've never liked aiming even slightly high if the deer is super alert which often is the case when we stop them. Especially at 30-35 yards which is the max distance I'll shoot. Even with today's bow speeds its amazing how far they can drop when getting their feet under them to bolt by the time the arrow gets there. Midwest Whitetails had an excellent show on this a few years ago.

Personally I've had very good luck with one pin out to 35. I set it to shoot a bit high at 15. Dead on to slightly low at 30 and a bit lower yet at 35. If they are at 35 which the buck in my avy was at 33 I was aiming center mass behind the shoulder. As he took off and dropped slightly my arrow still hit directly where I was aiming. The closer shots the arrow gets there quicker and they don't drop as far so my pin placement is the same. Only miss I've ever had was a deflection on the branch. I just like the clean look of one pin through my peep and how quick I can take dead Aim not having to think which pin I should be using. Keep in mind I'm very dedicated to my 35 yard limit.

You sound like a passionate hunter and if you keep that passion I'm sure your day will come again. Do you have different pin's for 20-25-30? Sounds to me if you aim'ed a bit high, slightly misjudged the distance and he was alert upon stopping him he may have ducked under it. I've never liked aiming even slightly high if the deer is super alert which often is the case when we stop them. Especially at 30-35 yards which is the max distance I'll shoot. Even with today's bow speeds its amazing how far they can drop when getting their feet under them to bolt by the time the arrow gets there. Midwest Whitetails had an excellent show on this a few years ago.

Personally I've had very good luck with one pin out to 35. I set it to shoot a bit high at 15. Dead on to slightly low at 30 and a bit lower yet at 35. If they are at 35 which the buck in my avy was at 33 I was aiming center mass behind the shoulder. As he took off and dropped slightly my arrow still hit directly where I was aiming. The closer shots the arrow gets there quicker and they don't drop as far so my pin placement is the same. Only miss I've ever had was a deflection on the branch. I just like the clean look of one pin through my peep and how quick I can take dead Aim not having to think which pin I should be using. Keep in mind I'm very dedicated to my 35 yard limit.

Good info here. I remember that episode from midwestwhiteail. I I have a 20, 30, and 40 yard pin. I would really like to use a single pin as it seems they get great reviews, but for 3d ive always stuck with the multi. I know I aimed a little higher as I was estimating he was almost 30 yards out. I had had my 20 on almost the top of his back and my hold was good. I did range it back and he was at 20. Cant believe I thought he was further. I had mutliple deer within 15 yards and even walk directly under me in the morning so I guess that just made him seem farther out than what he was.

Nothing special about my single pin. Its not one you dial for distance. I just have 1 single normal pin.

Another thing I do is range landmarks right after getting in my stand so I don't have to range them when they come in. I've never killed a deer that I would've had time to do that. Happens to fast. I see it all the time on shows but it never works for me. If I got even a second more my focus is on if he is a shooter or not. I simply know tree's or something else in the area to give me his range. If you hunt a stand often enough they become second nature. I know I can't shoot beyond that tree or that stump kind of thing. I've often thought about hanging little pieces of string at 20 and 35 but wasn't sure it was legal. Don't know why it wouldn't be as it just allows for more accurate shots.

Nothing special about my single pin. Its not one you dial for distance. I just have 1 single normal pin.

Another thing I do is range landmarks right after getting in my stand so I don't have to range them when they come in. I've never killed a deer that I would've had time to do that. Happens to fast. I see it all the time on shows but it never works for me. If I got even a second more my focus is on if he is a shooter or not. I simply know tree's or something else in the area to give me his range. If you hunt a stand often enough they become second nature. I know I can't shoot beyond that tree or that stump kind of thing. I've often thought about hanging little pieces of string at 20 and 35 but wasn't sure it was legal. Don't know why it wouldn't be as it just allows for more accurate shots.

I wouldn't think that would be illegal to mark distances. I usually try to range things as well, even multiple times throughout the day, and then quiz myself before ranging them again. When I missed the 12 point I spoke of above, it was at a stand that I've hunted a lot of times and he was actually standing near a tree I try to range every time I'm there. I didn't range it that morning (of course) and I have no idea why I had it in my head that it was farther. Just wasn't remembering clearly I guess. Bad thing is a doe had just came thru on the same trail and I didn't bother to range her. I didn't know anything was following as he came thru about 5-10 minutes later. I pretty much knew where he was going if he got on that trail, but I was so focused on whether I wanted to try to take him or not that I didn't bother to range that spot before he got there. I had plenty of time too as he was just slow walking, so that was my fault.

That sucks man, but keep your head up! I can relate, I had a total miss on a 10 ptr, main frame 8 that had split g2's on the morning of the 12th. I think around a 150". Guessed him at 30 yds, he was 33, but i must have dropped my bow arm or something, shot under him. I was, and am actually still beating myself up for it, but I have come to the realization that is bow hunting. I am just thankful I got a chance at him, and look forward to the next time. If I have a chance, I have some tactacam footage of my screw up. Will try to post sometime.

Better luck at the next time you get an opportunity!

That sucks man, but keep your head up! I can relate, I had a total miss on a 10 ptr, main frame 8 that had split g2's on the morning of the 12th. I think around a 150". Guessed him at 30 yds, he was 33, but i must have dropped my bow arm or something, shot under him. I was, and am actually still beating myself up for it, but I have come to the realization that is bow hunting. I am just thankful I got a chance at him, and look forward to the next time. If I have a chance, I have some tactacam footage of my screw up. Will try to post sometime.

Better luck at the next time you get an opportunity!
Hey how do you like your Tactacam? I have just started looking into it. Does is screw right into your stabilizer?

Top Bottom