Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally happened

Now that I see I was successful posting the pick, ill elaborate. I have a farm in south central Iowa. We have known about this buck for several years. When we first started getting his picture, we estimated him at 3 and am confident he is now 7. He was pushing a doe out of one of my native plantings into the timber. I had him @ 60 yards for over 30 minutes before things finally started to happen. He was guarding his doe and pushing several lesser bucks off and then right back to his doe. He walked thru one of my shooing lanes at 40 yards, but (I'm sure user error undoubtedly caused by buck fever) my release let go of the string in the process of drawing. Thankfully I shoot a drop away which caught the vanes so I was able to quickly recover, but not able to get a shot off. Then a buck appeared from behind me. The doe also started my way. I could see he was going to present me with a 30 yard or less shot. As he started to push off the buck behind me, I drew my bow again, but this time I couldn't see through my peep. I had to let down at 30 yards, twisted my peep and drew again. I couldn't get him to stop after mouth grunting twice. He was just walking now at 20 yards, I put my pin on his shoulder and touched off the release. My shot hit about 6" behind his shoulder. He ran 20 yards to my left and payed down. I could here is labored breathing and gurgling. I knew he was not getting back up. Up to the point of the shot, if it could have went wrong , it did.

Top Bottom