Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Trailer Buck 3

NWBuck

PMA Member
To those of you who've been around this site for awhile, I'm sure you recognized the title and probably chuckled a little knowing what was coming. If you're new to the site, search The Trailer Buck and The Trailer Buck 2 for the first two chapters of this story.

Dad turned 81 this summer, and after a couple years off dealing with some health issues, he was back at it again this fall. Instead of the matrix blind in the back of the trailer, he spent some time in the offseason building a blind that gave a full shooting window and completely blacked out the back of the trailer. Here's a look at the modifications; and his favorite decoy set up. Guess I haven't talked to him about it, but knowing Dad, I'm guessing the 3 white letters at the bottom are his attempt at humor :)
Pic1.jpg
Here's a view over the crossbow from inside the blind. I believe he said the crossbow is pointed just about where the buck was when he shot him.
Pic2.jpg

Dad's ideal day would be mid to late November, frosty clear morning, and almost no wind so the sound of his grunt tube can carry a long ways. Sunday morning, the 20th, was a perfect match. About 8:30 he saw antlers in the CRP below the lawn. The buck locked in on the decoy and Dad kept softly blowing the grunt tube. The buck circled above the decoy and even stopped a couple of times to paw at the ground before approaching the setup from the right. He said the shot seemed a little back, but the buck didn't go far and they trailed him to the CRP field where he came from.
TrailerBuck3.jpg

It seems to me that each version of the Trailer Buck gets a little bigger than the one before, so I know I'm anxious for The Trailer Buck 4 next year! Congrats again Dad (waterman)! Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies I may have made in relaying the story.

NWBuck

Attachments

• Dad'sBuck.jpg
    Dad'sBuck.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 13
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have read the story many time in the archives of the trailer buck and was amazed at the story. Now to see him do it again is just crazy good and the setup is unreal. One of the best hunting setups and stories I ever read.
Congrats to your dad!!!

Unbelievable! What a fantastic set up he has there! Congrats to your dad. Hopefully his health can stay good enough that he can continue for years to come!

I have read the story many time in the archives of the trailer buck and was amazed at the story. Now to see him do it again is just crazy good and the setup is unreal. One of the best hunting setups and stories I ever read.
Congrats to your dad!!!

Agreed ^^. I love this, congrats to your dad! And those aren't small bucks that he is laying down either. Next year I expect to see a concrete path from the house to the trailer to make the "hike in" even smoother! :D Great stuff!!!

Top Bottom