Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Trailer Buck 3

Unbelievable! What an inspiration. A lot of people would not hunt in a set up like that but he has proven how effective it can be.

What a back yard buck! That's awesome right there. Congrats! I need a set up like that. I sometimes joke with my dad that I need to hunt his back yard, but it usually only gets activity at night.

That is flat out unbelievable. Guys pay $2500-5,000 to hunt with an outfitter and quite often do not shoot bucks like that (backyard)...amazing!

That should be a story on NA Whitetail or something.

Very cool, I enjoyed the first 2 and 3 in a row its just plain awesome. When you find a setup like that and it works, its hard to beat. Congrats to your dad.

That's amazing, right in the backyard, and that is a mature buck too. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong hanging multiple stands and hiking into tha woods! I would love the extra sleep with the short commute to and from your hunting location too lol

That is flat out unbelievable. Guys pay $2500-5,000 to hunt with an outfitter and quite often do not shoot bucks like that (backyard)...amazing!

That should be a story on NA Whitetail or something.
Definitely could contact a magazine and make the 3 kills into an amazing article. Does he have a bunch of deer that don't want to commit to the set-up? Because he definitely has harvested some big old bucks that way.

Does he have a bunch of deer that don't want to commit to the set-up? Because he definitely has harvested some big old bucks that way.

bigbuckhunter88:

Late, but I will attempt an answer to your question. When using the decoy, we have not had a doe or fawn near it....I would say they would most likely stay away from it.
With The Trailer Buck, two bucks responded to the grunt tube (gt) and one committed to the decoy....the other spooked when the death run began.

The balance of bucks shot from the trailer have responded to the gt, then locked to Angus (the decoy) and pay absolutely no attention to the trailer like it is not even in
the area. Angus located in the open area is visible from most directions, that is why wind velocity of 5 mph or less is preferred so we can get good all around coverage with
the gt as we have pulled bucks from most all directions.

So we are careful about using Angus & have been a bit lucky. Thank you for the reply.

The man the myth the legend!! Congrats Gary on another great hunt! Will be excited to see the mount :)

That is extremely kind of you nwhawk & most appreciated, now I'd like to ask that you post the story (as I have not heard it) of your hunt.
It is believed others would like the same. Tks

You mentioned the mount, reference is made to The Trailer Buck 2 & when I had it mounted that was the last mount for me.
Then the wife said you need to mount this one (great having a wife that likes to hunt deer, then eat venison), so I took a serious
look at it & decided that I really liked the gray/brown cape, a double throat patch (small lower one that can be seen in this pic &
the taxidermist pointed out to me....he said when cleaned up it would show nice) & antlers that are so marked with battle scars that
it looks like he has been into a roll of barbed wire.

Taxidermist emailed a pic of his teeth today, he estimated the buck as 5 y/o. So I supposed that is really 5 & 1/2 y/o.

Not to bore you folks but again special tks to Son NWBuck for posting the story, super job....I think he kind a likes doing the story
& I like him to do so, as it is a much better job than trying it myself.

To all that replied or may reply, I'm simply overwhelmed by your kind responses.....it would be correct to say great people on this
site. Thank you to all.

FYI--From the house and a spotting scope, my Wife got to see it all happen & actually had a lot better look at the antlers that I had.
As the buck circled out of sight to my right then back toward Angus (decoy), the sun was fairly low over the hill to the east so I
could begin to see his shadow moving in. At about that point he stopped again, started pawing at the grass....the shadow of his
leg movement could be seen next to Angus.
The blacked out trailed works great, we used a couple 4'x8' panels to cut the rear out of....the cut off were used as side panels. All
are C clamped to the trailer interior. Then we used a couple full size black sheets for the balance of side walls up to about the side
door area where they come together and overlap at center they are fastened with velcro & small clamps. Then we can just spread
the sheet apart a bit to enter the hunting shack. When hunting our upper clothing & head gear is dark, so from the area where
Angus is staked it is real difficult to see anyone in the trailer.

What a great story Dale . It put a big smile on my face to think of another Gary adventure and success story from the "deer blind". I will look forward to hearing the details of the hunt from the crossbow pro himself . Way to put the smack down Gary . Congrats !!

Top Bottom