Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How to age bucks

Big Benny

PMA Member
So I shot a buck that me and my partner are disagreeing on in age. Where do I send lower jaw to get a definite answer? And how much is it? Anyone done this before? Thank in advance

I have a friend that sends my teeth ( two front teeth) with his and his neighbors. They are sent to Matsons Labs in Montana. Not sure what it costs but its pricey for just a set. The more you send the more cost effective it is. Google them and you will see they aren't a fly by night place. They have quite the system on aging animals.

Although not quite as accurate, there are some pretty descriptive articles online about aging by bottom jaw tooth wear. Might be a good place to start.

Wildlife Analytical Labs (DeerAge.Com) in Burnet, Texas is another place. Runs about $30 for one.
Thanks for the info I'll check the out also.
Question have you or anyone you know that has sent them teeth and how did you feel the results were?

I know ranch manager in WY who has used the Texas lab. They use cementum annuli to determine age. It's very much like counting rings on a tree trunk. Much more accurate than estimating age by molar wear!

I've used Matson's for two different deer. I think it was around $50. Also, they do a huge run and if you want your results back in a timely fashion, you want to get the teeth to them for the batch. I'm not sure what the date is, just know that when I shot a late MZ deer, I had to hurry to send it in to make the deadline.

^^^ So true still waiting on last years buck. I was told the results should be here this month.

Years ago I read how they perform the cementum annuli age test. They soak the teeth in a decalcifying solution (usually an acid) to soften them, then cut cross sections of the root of the tooth on a cryostat, stain the section on a slide and image it with a light microscope, counting the rings. One year I decided to try my hand at it since I have access to all the reagents and instruments. Let me tell you that though the price might seem high, it takes awhile to do the sample prep and imaging. Also, it takes a trained, skilled eye to accurately age a deer in this fashion.

Matson's did send the slides back to me as I requested, so I can look at them if I care to.

I've used deerage.com several times and have been very happy. Mail in your specimen with order form, you get an email as soon as they receive it. They guarantee results within 120 days of when they receive it for the basic package, $25. If you want a framed certificate its another $15. Under 90 days is $40, and under 45 days is $50. Its pretty slick.

Top Bottom