Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Historical annual harvest numbers

Deer Nut

PMA Member
Does anyone know how to access this info? It looks like we might be down compared to the end of last years shotgun seasons. It would be interesting to compare a 10 year span if I could.
It also looks like shed antler buck harvest is down slightly. I know it will go up quite a bit before January 10th though. I'm wondering if we would be able to see a correlation between the number of shed bucks harvested annually and the severity of EHD in a given year.

Has to be down again for me . I haven't seen the number of deer harvested on the ground we hunt since 2010 ... timbers that held 18-20 deer per push now hold 4-5 . Been that way for the last 4-5 years .

The current state population is at the DNR set goal except for some of the NW counties that are low on deer and were set back to buck only during the shotgun seasons. I personally hunt eastern Iowa on public land and see enough deer to keep me going back. I certainly miss the hay day of 2004-2007 but I see more shooter bucks now that I did then. We'll likely never be back to that sort of population again, so we all need to either adjust to this new normal or look for new outdoor activities to enjoy.

I'm usually able to fill my bow doe tag, buck bow bag, and my any-sex late muzz tags on good years. There are certainly many years where I only fill 1 or 2 of my normal 3 tags, but that's just part of hunting. It's not supposed to be easy. I'm personally glad some of the fair weather hunters left the woods.

Top Bottom