Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

going smokeless

Rich77

it's been quite a while since I've been on here. The app completely quit working on my phone.
I'm looking to have a smokless gun by next october. tons of options, from smokless barrels for my encore to complete custom builds. looking for some insight from someone who has already been down this path. thanks alot fellas

• Deleted by Rich77
  • Reason: accidental quote
Show…
thanks fellas. I was hoping there was someone close. I'll get ahold of him and see what he thinks the best route is and we will go from there.

I have 3 now, last one was the CVA Scout 45/70 converted to SML shooting a duplex load of 10/70 with a 302 gr BOMB avg is 2511 FPC, it will reach out to 300 yards with no problem.
This is my blind, tree stand gun

I think I'm just going to have my encore converted. That's my plan atleast. my gun shoots lights out now with blackhorn but smokless just seems so much more consistent and hassle free

I know multiple people who have gone smokeless. A couple of which have gone to Luke as well with zero regrets. In fact, one of those guys just nailed a nice buck at 325 yards today with his while doing a deer drive. Topped with a Burris eliminator, it's as simple as it gets. Easily capable of being 500+ yard guns.

The break open guns will do most of what we are after but the bolt guns offer more options for loads and bullets used. Even the break opens are an upgrade from the smokers. The bolt guns and some of the loads used are perhaps more gun than needed for some, but they are my first choice for my style of hunting. I am currently playing with #3 & #4 of my smokeless builds and like others have said, I will never look back.

Luke does a great job and he is here in Iowa, but there are other very good builders out there.
You can consider building it yourself.
Sabots or sabotless. You will most likely be buying a die too if you go sabotless.
Recoil. Many are installing breaks when shooting stout loads.
Weight of the gun.
Ignition system. 209 shotgun primers or Large Magnum Rifle primers (usually with a primer module).
Scopes. If shooting stout loads, the recoil will destroy your cheapo scopes. Don't skimp.
Cost of the build and all of the accessories required.

So many options... best to call Luke at Arrowhead (or maybe Allan Rovig at McWhorter Custom Rifles) and talk over what you're looking for with them.

got the ball rolling this morning. going to convert one of my encores and maybe look for a bolt gun down the road to play with. thanks alot for the help. it's pricey but it should be worth it in the long run. luckily I have a scope sitting in my gun room that should be more than adequate for 300+. dies, powder, bullets. there is quite a bit evolved out of the gate but in the end it should be easier and far more accurate than any black powder substitute. I highly recommend calling arrohead and just talking it over

If you don't mind me asking what does it take to convert an Encore? I have one and now am curious...

if you can find a stock 45-70 barrel it is a little cheaper. They Offer a brux barrel already set up with the breach in 26 and 28 inch lengths. it will handle hotter loads than a modified stock barrel. between the barrel, forearm fit, breach, sizing dies, bullets and powder you are going to be looking right around 1200 dollars.
this combo should shoot MOA our to as far as your optics and the finger behind the trigger will allow.
my goal wasn't to start shooting deer at long range, it was more of a consistency factor and a super accurate factor. I've shot some remarkable groups with blackhorn and barnes but smokless is a whole different animal. clean then like a centerfire. Could hunt a few seasons without cleaning if you desire. I checked into some starting loads and you will be throwing a 275 grain bullet with roughly the trajectory of a .308.
my goal has always been to shoot them as close as possible. my furthest buck kill is 166 yards. I didn't decided on doing this for a long range advantage. just merely a more accurate hassle free gun that will hopefully shoot better than me. I will keep eveyone posted on results once it's all said and done and I have some holes in paper. I will be finishing this season with blackhorn and barnes and then I will have one or my encores converted. stuck looking at glass now. will more than likely grab a 4×14 burris from my gun room or buy a new vortex. I will keep this going as I play with the gun. thanks again fellas and good luck to everyone like myself still holding a tag

As you ponder your options for a scope, keep in mind that even though smokeless through a custom barrel is awesome accurate, it still slings a heavy bullet at modest velocity. This will still result in a somewhat "less than flat" trajectory. Any of the scopes with trajectory compensating turret dials, specifically calibrated for your bullet and velocity will make longer range shooting a lot more precise (& fun). I have a Leupold 4-12X CDS on mine and certainly wouldn't suggest anything less. Enjoy!

What is the cost of having a gun built. Buying a bolt gun and having it converted?

Rock bottom for a complete 700ML bolt gun assembled by yourself, a little over $800. If you already have the donor gun it will be less. If you have someone do the conversion for you, it will be more. 700 center fire short actions can be converted too but will be more. Many Savage centerfires can be done too and are a fairly easy conversion.

Approx $120-$400 for a donor gun.
Under $500 for a barrel ($436-$460).
Breech plug and bushing about $90.
Bolt nose conversion $93.
New recoil lug $36 (recommended but not required).

Also,
Scale
Powder (much lower cost than black powder subs)

Options,
Luke or another builder does the conversion for you
Die if going sabotless
Press
Muzzle break
Funnel if installing a muzzle break
After market stock
Bedding the stock
3 piece collapsible ramrod if not adding the ramrod to your stock
45 cal loading jag (assuming .45 conversion, which I would highly recommend assuming Iowa regs)

As you ponder your options for a scope, keep in mind that even though smokeless through a custom barrel is awesome accurate, it still slings a heavy bullet at modest velocity. This will still result in a somewhat "less than flat" trajectory. Any of the scopes with trajectory compensating turret dials, specifically calibrated for your bullet and velocity will make longer range shooting a lot more precise (& fun). I have a Leupold 4-12X CDS on mine and certainly wouldn't suggest anything less. Enjoy!
The kicker is the scope. I've been playing with long range shooting for quite a few years and have never had a burris or vortex fail to track or fail in any way for that matter. I'm not sure what top end magnification I'm going to want 12× minimum. I'm really not planning on stretching this thing past 300 yards unless it was a followup shot. 16× seems a bit much for a 300 yard gun and what I will use it for. it will spend alot of time on 4× sitting in a treestand so the scope part of the equation is still up in the air

On my 2, 45 sml's I use the Leupold VX - R 4x12x40 CDS red dot, and on my 416 sml I have the same scope but 4x12x50, all 30 MM, No problem with any of them going on 3 years.

Top Bottom