Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Still deer hunting in yellow river state forest?

boneman

boneman
Been shed hunting yellow river state forest in allamakee co. Just wondering if anyone knows why people are still hunting deer, its February? Saw a camper today with deer hanging.

Couldn't be more wrong about it being for the better. Lots of deer will be killed with nothing to gain. CWD has been confirmed in Iowa, what is the point of reconfirming it?

Do you need to walk outside to know that the sky is blue? Are you going to be able to change it even if you confirm it?

Not directed at you, just frustrated with the ignorance shown. Why kill them now when you can test as many as you want when the season opens back up next yr? It'll be the same result.

I've read a couple of papers of CWD in elk where they have found a genetic resistance to CWD (https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/elkcwd.php). If this is the case, which I do not doubt, the best strategy would be to ban hunting, let the herd grow, let CWD wipe out the deer that do not have the proper genes and move on. This is how animals have evolved through out time without the "help" of humans. It would be dumb, IMO, to be out there potentially shooting the resistant deer.

Last edited:
Reactions: arm
Shooting more deer will do nothing to stop the inevitable. Like others said, you would think the DNR would learn from other western states and not increase tags next year. Too bad they have already shown their hand by allowing additional deer to be shot. That seems to be par for the course for government ran institutions, why learn from others when you clearly know better than them.

This would be a great topic to bring up at the listening session on the 22nd of February.

Shooting more deer will do nothing to stop the inevitable. Like others said, you would think the DNR would learn from other western states and not increase tags next year. Too bad they have already shown their hand by allowing additional deer to be shot. That seems to be par for the course for government ran institutions, why learn from others when you clearly know better than them.

This would be a great topic to bring up at the listening session on the 22nd of February.
Yup. Plan on showing up and bringing it up

Hows the shed hunting been over there? Was supposed to be over there this weekend but had to work. A buddy for 2 over 70 over there last weekend..

Couldn't be more wrong about it being for the better. Lots of deer will be killed with nothing to gain. CWD has been confirmed in Iowa, what is the point of reconfirming it?

Do you need to walk outside to know that the sky is blue? Are you going to be able to change it even if you confirm it?

Not directed at you, just frustrated with the ignorance shown. Why kill them now when you can test as many as you want when the season opens back up next yr? It'll be the same result.
Agree, they should of got enough samples from shotgun season!

I hope there will soon be a rapid CWD test that I can perform in the field, sort of like a rapid strep for sore throats. I've already made the decision to test any deer I kill. I can not, in good conscience, feed my family venison with CWD. Even though there has yet to be a proven link with CWD and humans, other spongiform diseases have crossed species lines. If I feed my grandkids venison tomorrow in 25 years will they have a CJD variant? There are several questions that will need to be answered, will lockers only accept deer that have been tested with proven negative results? Will lockers do their own testing so they don't knowingly mix negative and positive deer together when making burger and specialty meats? I still have to decide that if someday CWD is so endemic, lets say rates of 25% (I can't remember the last WI prevalence rate but it was crazy high) contamination will it even be worth hunting. I've always said if I can't eat it (deer) I'm not going to kill it.

Somebody needs to talk me off the ledge. They found CWD very very close to where I hunt.

This is a link to an article from Fair Chase the B&C magazine. It is very well written, almost too well, they use a lot of big words and phrases that I had to think about to understand, but it is an excellent review. One of the things it discusses is lab results vs real world. I tried to google the original paper this article was derived from but I can't seem to find it. Flounder to the red courtesy phone please.

http://dev.bc.telavant.com/cwd-part-one

Part two should be out soon.

Hows the shed hunting been over there? Was supposed to be over there this weekend but had to work. A buddy for 2 over 70 over there last weekend..
It's been tough, lots of sign but lots of boot tracks as well! I've picked several but not much size whatsoever for me.

40 miles north in southeastern Minnesota they have almost killed 1000 since December 31. 2 more weeks of a landowner season. Then the sharpshooters come in for a month or two. They haven't said how many they want killed but it can't be good. I had heard sharpshooters were gonna cost the state around $500k. Big game coordinators have already asked for more funding and are trying to raise license costs 13%. When does the madness end. What happens next year when it's found again, we gonna go through all of this again? My dad might not ever be able to shoot another mature buck because they want everything killed.
February 8th dr James kroll comes to talk about cwd in chatfield mn. It's gonna be interesting to see how many dnr officials come to this.

They talk about killing them off, but they don't address the fact that the prion still survives in the ground to effect the next generation? Unless I miss read

When they set their county boundries what happens when they scare one infected deer over to the no kill zone and spread it from there.Every respected biologist has said that it will run it's course but as mentioned the prions will remain.Much like anthrax in Texas,it still kills deer there.I would imagine that just about everything that drinks out of a major water source is worse off to eat than a deer with CWD.I know in the river that runs through my place they recommend no more than 1 meal per month from the fish.This is in Kansas

Top Bottom