Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you think

hillrunner

PMA Member
Its not uncommon to get bobcat pictures on my Monona county land but this picture is from Sioux County. They are up here but much more rare. Anyone think this could be a bobcat or is it just a random cat?
MFDC0969.JPG

I vote bobcat. I dont think I have ever seen a domestic cat with spots like that. The backs of the ears also are typical of bobcat.

I'm voting house cat. The spots don't seem very defined and I've had enough random cats growing up to know that some look sort of spotty and the ears can be dark. Also seems like he has long tail, could be his back leg, but I think its his tail. I have seen several bobcats in person and there spots seem more pronounced and they seem to have bigger blocky heads.

That's just my opinion. Could be a bobcat.

I'm voting house cat. The spots don't seem very defined and I've had enough random cats growing up to know that some look sort of spotty and the ears can be dark. Also seems like he has long tail, could be his back leg, but I think its his tail. I have seen several bobcats in person and there spots seem more pronounced and they seem to have bigger blocky heads.

That's just my opinion. Could be a bobcat.

Just an FYI...I shot a bobcat on my place this year with my bow and my son trapped one 200 yards away a couple of months later and the difference in the spots on those two cats was very striking. Both were males and not YOY. Mine was pretty plain, so I decided to just get the hide tanned. My son's was very pretty(well spotted) and that one is getting a full body mount. In my limited bobcat knowledge, I think the amount spots varies quite a bit naturally.

I too shot one last year that was a female and had very light spots. I had another cat on the farm that i saw fairly regular that was quite a bit bigger and had alot nicer fur as far as coloring. I don't think the sex has anything to do with the spots/coloring tho.

Just another observation...even after taking two cats off our farm this year, we are still seeing them on cams. And there is one cat that is even more spotted and beautiful than the second one we got. If we nab him/her next year then there just might be a 2nd full body mount on the way. :) I got a pic of said cat on some fresh snow about a month ago and it was truly beautiful...only the cam quality was not our best and the picture is a little fuzzy. Had that been a sharply focused pic I think I would enter it in some trail cam contests though.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being few spots and 10 being a dad blamed leopard, this one still at large is probably a leopard! :) Cat #1 = 2 or 3, cat #2 = 7, cat still at large = 10. And there is another one that is fairly plain too, probably another 3 on the spots scale. (Sorry to get so scientific here. :D) But I guess what I am trying to say is that the spots and eye appeal vary from cat to cat, even on the same farm. :)

Top Bottom