Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

MN Hunter

To anyone that has ever planted this to create screens similar to Egyptian wheat. How man rows do you plant to get the same effect and what kind of spacing have you used. Is it best to stagger rows to fill in the gaps?

full

One row four foot spacing. After 4 years. No gaps. It is probably 4 foot wide now. Still standing but this time of year with the leaves off you could probably see something through it. I think 2 rows you couldn't see through it this time of year.

goatman, what part of the country is the pic from? Thanks for sharing. I'm putting in 2000 rhizomes this spring.

Amazing.
Did u continually spray with atrazine to allow new growth to come up or how did u get so thick? I've never planted it but every time I see it- it's spindly and does not form a wall like yours. No idea what those folks did with the stands I've seen BUT - whatever u did is far better than I've ever seen and folks need to copy your method. Very nice!

Atrazine would probably work well. I can tell you 2,4-d worked well in my testing with no harm to mithcanthus... Will try atrazine when I get my RUP before this spring.

I went one row at 18". I prefer one time planting over EW every year even if it takes longer to get to equivalent screen/cover.

Stuff loves nitrogen too.

Does this stuff need full sun? Thinking about using some along an access road (North/South) through the timber or a fence row with large trees, where there is a decent amount of sunlight but not all day.

Does this stuff need full sun? Thinking about using some along an access road (North/South) through the timber or a fence row with large trees, where there is a decent amount of sunlight but not all day.

More sun the better, but it will tolerate some shade. (I planted some by my house as landscaping and there are trees. It is probably the best stuff I have because it gets better treatment because of its proximity)

Maple River Farms is where I have bought from several times. Haven't really done anything special. I do burn it off in early spring . It does come up really early. Believe they mow the first year plants off in the fall after frost.

I don't have any pics of the stuff that's above but this is a recent planting only months old. You should expect very little growth the first year. One or two stalks is a good plant. That grass behind the turtle is a excellent plant. Maple River has been a excellent source for big rhizomes.
1st year.jpg

This is second year grass. University says doesn't need fertilizer but I have and noticed a good color to the grass. The very first stuff I did I have never put on any fertilizer. Paul always said it couldn't hurt.
2nd year.jpg

Will / do deer like to bed in this stuff if it's a large enough clump or wide enough strip?

They will bed in between clusters if you plant multiple rows. They wont bed "on" it if that makes senses. The plant is very stalking and not conducive to laying on. I toured maple River Farms. That whole operation started as a biomass business. The farm is right by a river. Deer were def in there.

Top Bottom