Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Horsetail/snake grass/puzzle grass

meyeri

PMA Member
I have been watching the deer hammer a patch of this stuff in a ditch for a while now. I've picked up sheds in this ditch two years in a row too. Is this stuff only hit because there is little other green browse around?
There are 50+ deer in the adjacent cornfield nightly as well, so there is plenty of good food around. Anybody ever plant this stuff specifically for deer?

I always called it joint grass. I'm going to check some out though after you told me about it.

I have never planted it but I know where there is a patch of it in a ditch and I see deer in there, right next to the road, every winter. I don't know much about it but they are attracted to it for sure.

I have noticed deer love this stuff in the winter. Horsetail or something like that is what I have heard it called. It's kind of like a reed and they have water in them, usually in ditchs or swampy areas, I would think it would be sort hard to plant.

I know of a ditch with this as well. The deer have a couple crossings thru it, but I'm not sure if they spend much time eating it. I'll have to check it more closely next time I'm by it.

Scouring Rush is what we always called it at ISU and I would STRONGLY advise against planting it. It's hard to get rid of it once it's there and can spread very aggressively.

Yikes I googled that stuff. Sounds like that if it's there, you're not going to get rid of it

Top Bottom