Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CWD

MN just announced they are paying sharpshooters $290,000 to come in and shoot more deer. You would have thought killing over 1100 deer would be enough. How many more, I do not know. They are manipulating landowners saying so and so are letting us on, can we hunt yours? We in fact so and so did not give them permission. It's pretty damn sad.

Yup we should all relax. In 250 years all the deer will have this supposed resistance to CWD.

In response to sharpshooters for deer in Iowa, the Iowa DNR is so broke, or close to it there is no way they are going to pay for sharpshooters. They are leaving the decisions up to the people in the area(s) affected by CWD. They are trying to give the residents in those areas their best evidence on what to do. It is not in the DNRs best interest to scare people out of buying deer tags or reducing the herd unnecessarily. They would lose revenue both short and long term. The Iowa DNR, in my opinion in the case of CWD, has the conservation of the deer herd as their primary focus. It would be easy for them to sit in the Wallace Building and do nothing and just let CWD "run through" but CWD doesn't run through it stays forever. The DNR is making some tough choices in relation to CWD. Iowa will never be CWD free but it is my fervent hope that we don't become a state with 35% to 45% prevalence. If natural selection will eventually select for the deer with the GSS allele the prion will also evolve and be able to over come the resistance. In 100 years none of us will be around to tell the others "See I told you CWD would end up like this".

NDA had a blog this week by a deer researcher that is doing post doc work in SD but has family ground in SW Wisconsin. He made reference to the causative agent for CWD but he didn't site his sources, but the focus of his blog was he harvested a buck on the home place that was CWD positive. His statement was about bones on the wall are not as rewarding if there's no meat in the freezer to go along with them. Three of the 4 bucks taken on that farm were CWD positive. These was the first CWD positive deer on their ground.

I have thought about CWD so much in the past few years in general and the past few weeks in specific that I'm weary of the thought.

MN just announced they are paying sharpshooters $290,000 to come in and shoot more deer. You would have thought killing over 1100 deer would be enough. How many more, I do not know. They are manipulating landowners saying so and so are letting us on, can we hunt yours? We in fact so and so did not give them permission. It's pretty damn sad.

What is the latest plan inNE Iowa....I am sorry I might sound a little doom and gloom, but having a large investment in rec ground around Harpers Ferry could prove to be "an iffy proposition" right now. Is there talk of shooting high numbers of deer? Just curious.

^^Last I knew they were still shooting last weekend even though I thought it was closed for a little while. We are in the same boat, and really hope they just stop already. No matter how many killed, its already here..

^^Last I knew they were still shooting last weekend even though I thought it was closed for a little while. We are in the same boat, and really hope they just stop already. No matter how many killed, its already here..

No kidding, tough situation.

Was up last weekend, didn't hear a single shot. Nor did I see any vehicles out and about in the yellow that appeared to be hunters. They might be hunting, I just didn't see them. What's really alarming to me is the confirmation all the way out to Elkader. If it's out that far what's the point of messing around over by the yellow??? The cats out of the bag.

Came out in the press yesterday there have been over 1500 deer killed since Dec 31 in MN. a little over 900 were tested so nearly 600 fawns and not tested.
Sharpshooters are in. They've had their bait stations out since last week. On the north and south sides of our property I can see a ground blind with corn out in front. Both are about 150 yards from our property line. We have most of the cover in the area. Both of the properties that are allowing them in are bigger parcels. I don't expect to see many deer at all next year let alone mature bucks. I can't wait until more turn up positive next year and we can do all this bs again.

The hunting is done in Allamakee county. I believe they tested around 200 deer. I just heard recently that there was 1 more positive closer to Waterville. Bringing the total to 10 this year. I've been to the meetings and heard their theories but in reality they have no clue what the disease is going to do. If WI was/is so infected I cant help but wonder where all the dead carcusses are. Makes no sense to kill thousands of deer when it would take centuries for the disease to kill those numbers.
Dr. Kroll had a meeting in Chatfield,MN a week or so ago and he firmly believes some deer are immune and also uses the numbers of 1 to 4 deer per 1000 will die from CWD. Read the "White Pages" by Dr. Kroll. Is he right? Who knows.
For the past 4 years the DNR has been asking residents in Allamakee to call in all sick or dead deer we see at all times of year so they can test. They've never had a dead deer test positive.
I've heard the disease kills mature deer 5 to 10 years of age. I'd bet 95% of the deer killed in the state are 2 and 3 yr olds. Which tells me our huntable population really wouldnt change.
I don't know whats right or wrong but killing perfectly healthy deer is not the answer.

I would take anything Kroll says with a grain if salt. He has been buddied up to the high fence guys for the last few years and spreading his bullshit around. I don't believe anything he says anymore.

I would take anything Kroll says with a grain if salt. He has been buddied up to the high fence guys for the last few years and spreading his bullshit around. I don't believe anything he says anymore.
Kroll is another so called TV celebrity that will sell his soul for the right amount. Sure he's educated on the disease I just wish I could look into that crystal ball so we could make the right decisions.
Right now I don't know who to believe cause I don't think anyone has the right answers on what needs to be done.

The hunting is done in Allamakee county. I believe they tested around 200 deer. I just heard recently that there was 1 more positive closer to Waterville. Bringing the total to 10 this year. I've been to the meetings and heard their theories but in reality they have no clue what the disease is going to do. If WI was/is so infected I cant help but wonder where all the dead carcusses are. Makes no sense to kill thousands of deer when it would take centuries for the disease to kill those numbers.
Dr. Kroll had a meeting in Chatfield,MN a week or so ago and he firmly believes some deer are immune and also uses the numbers of 1 to 4 deer per 1000 will die from CWD. Read the "White Pages" by Dr. Kroll. Is he right? Who knows.
For the past 4 years the DNR has been asking residents in Allamakee to call in all sick or dead deer we see at all times of year so they can test. They've never had a dead deer test positive.
I've heard the disease kills mature deer 5 to 10 years of age. I'd bet 95% of the deer killed in the state are 2 and 3 yr olds. Which tells me our huntable population really wouldnt change.
I don't know whats right or wrong but killing perfectly healthy deer is not the answer.

When you say the hunting is done do you mean the CWD sample hunting or your opinion is the quality of hunting is done in Allamakee?

I wonder what the DNR is going to do this fall for tags in NE IA? It could be one reason why the January rifle season is back in play, they are looking at more ways to shoot deer, and they do not care if shed bucks get shot.

• Deleted by Deer&Ducks
  • Reason: Fat fingers
Show…
Yup we should all relax. In 250 years all the deer will have this supposed resistance to CWD.

In response to sharpshooters for deer in Iowa, the Iowa DNR is so broke, or close to it there is no way they are going to pay for sharpshooters. They are leaving the decisions up to the people in the area(s) affected by CWD. They are trying to give the residents in those areas their best evidence on what to do. It is not in the DNRs best interest to scare people out of buying deer tags or reducing the herd unnecessarily. They would lose revenue both short and long term. The Iowa DNR, in my opinion in the case of CWD, has the conservation of the deer herd as their primary focus. It would be easy for them to sit in the Wallace Building and do nothing and just let CWD "run through" but CWD doesn't run through it stays forever. The DNR is making some tough choices in relation to CWD. Iowa will never be CWD free but it is my fervent hope that we don't become a state with 35% to 45% prevalence. If natural selection will eventually select for the deer with the GSS allele the prion will also evolve and be able to over come the resistance. In 100 years none of us will be around to tell the others "See I told you CWD would end up like this".

NDA had a blog this week by a deer researcher that is doing post doc work in SD but has family ground in SW Wisconsin. He made reference to the causative agent for CWD but he didn't site his sources, but the focus of his blog was he harvested a buck on the home place that was CWD positive. His statement was about bones on the wall are not as rewarding if there's no meat in the freezer to go along with them. Three of the 4 bucks taken on that farm were CWD positive. These was the first CWD positive deer on their ground.

I have thought about CWD so much in the past few years in general and the past few weeks in specific that I'm weary of the thought.

Any of the smart guys on here correct me if I'm wrong but a prion is just a mis-folded protein and not a living organism so evolutionary forces wouldn't be acting upon it.

When you say the hunting is done do you mean the CWD sample hunting or your opinion is the quality of hunting is done in Allamakee?

The CWD sample hunting is done. Basically as far as overall hunting in the future i believe your gonna have landowners that keep giving the dnr samples and killing when they ask and your gonna have guys that just dont participate. For now these sample hunts are peanuts that have not been met with any resistance. If they mention anything like MN is doing i believe they will be met with heavy resistance. So for now they can keep dinking the dog with a couple hundred dead deer here and there that in essence tells us absolutely nothing.

I wonder what the DNR is going to do this fall for tags in NE IA? It could be one reason why the January rifle season is back in play, they are looking at more ways to shoot deer, and they do not care if shed bucks get shot.

They want shed bucks. Actually they want mature deer at any cost. I believe they dont even test anything killed thats 2yrs old and younger. So why not let these does have their fawns if they wont test positive for 3 years or whatever.
Theres talk of a Sept hunt which would trigger more participation. Go shoot a buck in velvet with a rifle. That would get guys interested.

Top Bottom