Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

THREAT TO IOWA'S RESOURCE, FUTURE - MY LETTER & THOUGHTS, 1st DRAFT...

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, this is my 1st draft I'll be sending out later. I will be shortening this up as I edit it. I'll maybe edit this post as I do that and improve upon it. This is literally my 1st 20 minutes of throwing this in writing. I will improve it. Here's what I'd ask from you!!!!!
1) Take ANYTHING from here you want, write to your legislature & DNR. (They need to hear some consistent feedback from a lot of hunters!). After I make this better, it's ONE guy - so please... If you all send something out, that's where the difference will be made!!! *I'll add the email addresses but I believe they are in the Legistation section/forum under the straight wall cartridge or shed buck season post. I'll add em later. PLEASE EMAIL!!!
2) DO SOMETHING!!!! don't sit on your butt!!! Go to the February 22 meeting at 6pm sharp! Location near you.
3) Email, FB, twitter, WHATEVER, everyone you know!!!! We need voices and often times, we have not had them in the past. Big problem. We need to fight like crazy so shed buck season doesn't return and fight the "resource pimps" that want to exploit Iowa's resource!!!!
4) feel free to chime in. :)
1st draft, will make it a lot better before I send & I'll fill in some specific info to myself I'll leave generic right now. ....

Last edited:
Dear “DNR ***” or “LEGISLATURE ****”

This is my Educated, passionate, informed voice on the issues Iowa’s outdoorsmen & women are soon facing. Below is a brief summary on myself, followed by the Status Quo Issues Iowa Outdoorsmen & women are facing, SPECIFIC LEGISLATION & brief summary.

My name is *Michael Jackson*: Iowa Farmer, Conservationist, Landowner, Family-Man, Young Hunter Recruiter, Voter & Passionate Hunter & Outdoorsman. I own *****Acres in **** Iowa that contain well managed Forest, CRP, Tillable, a Commercial Tree Nursery, etc.

I’m EXTREMELY CONCERNED with our constant yearly proposals and changes to our Deer Hunting Regulations in particular. I’ve spent countless hours and years helping vast #’s of other landowners with projects, conservation and making their land better for wildlife & the ecosystem.

The Status-Quo of the EVERY DAY DEER HUNTER:

· We have almost 4 months of deer season, starting September 15th with Youth season and running until January 10th. This comprises: 6 Deer Seasons (youth season, Bow Season, Early Muzzleloader, Gun 1, Gun 2 & Late Muzzleloader). It allows the use of 5 weapon types: Bow, Shotguns, Pistols, Muzzleloaders & Crossbows during Muzzleloader season and for use by Seniors & Disabled. There’s a HUGE amount of time & weapons to kill deer almost 1/3rd of the whole year.

· Iowa has approximately 5-6% forested area in our state. A tiny deer herd compared to other neighboring states. A bad regulation change could ripple through this fragile system very easily. We all saw what happened to pheasant hunting becoming almost “non-existent” VS its time in the 70’s to 90’s. The deer hunting could do the same thing if Iowa isn’t extremely careful with this very fragile resource!!!!!

· Access is incredibly hard for new hunters trying to find land or a place to hunt. I meet hundreds of hunters every year who lose permission, have too many hunters on small parcels, are pushed off, lose to leases, etc. There’s a handful each year that simply throw in the towel as hunting over-hunted public is out of the question or too much of a hassle. I allow as many hunters on my land as I can but I can’t accommodate even 1% of the amount I could let on that ask. Almost every parcel folks try to secure permission “we already have lots of hunters during many of the 6 seasons in place, sorry, can’t help you out”.

· Getting a ”healthy balanced deer herd” or a deer to maturity, is extremely hard even with big parcels. More folks are out with a variety of weapons and often the shooting is at running deer with medium range guns. My point: the deer have PLENTY of pressure as it is… farms either have vastly too much pressure OR a few owners & pockets that protect the resource.

· The POCKETS of high populations are due to large landowners who will never allow their land to be impacted by foolish & Liberal Regulations! They dislike the mobs of people hunting and the disastrous seasons that have been in place like the Late Antlerless season for example.. No Regulation will change those farms. They limit the amount of people hunting and will not participate in further Liberal Regulations. The guys that suffer from added seasons are the small parcel - by permission hunters. Those parcels of land get deer hammered badly & leave little opportunity for “good hunting”. By further Liberalizing & increasing the weapons, seasons, etc – all it’s doing is causing more folks to lock land down and deny access to other hunters to protect the resource from being exploited and degraded. This results in more pressure on “regular little tracts”, less access overall and larger pockets of folks trying to protect the wildlife. Adding seasons, weapons and the added pressure on the deer herd has a NEGATIVE & OPPOSITE IMPACT some legislatures or non-hunters might not realize. It’s extremely harmful and has gotten much worse the last decade.

· WE NEED TO LEAVE OUR DEER SEASONS ALONE! NO MORE SEASONS, NO MORE WEAPONS, NO MORE EXPANSION, ETC. 4 Months, 6 seasons and 5 weapons is OVER THE TOP as it is now. Creating “OPPORTUNITY” has beyond tipped the scale where more “opportunity” in regulations will actually mean LESS for the average outdoors-person. If anything, the regulations need to be reined in & dialed back!

SPECIFIC LEGISLATION:

LATE ANTLERLESS SEASON:

· The disastrous season that was done away with due to an outcry of hunters. It may be coming back to life. This is pure dread to the serious sportsman who cares about our resource. Again, wildly unpopular. Again, read any Sportsman Forum & ask for the outrage expressed by hunters when we finally got it removed a couple years ago! This Monster needs to stay dead! Here’s some hunter opinion on the matter: https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/shed-buck-season-is-in-the-way-back.55834/

· Here’s the facts & reality of this season that are critically important!!…. 1) Large landowners will protect their land from this foolish shooting season. They don’t allow it & for good reason. 2) The small parcels of land will get shot up & decimated disproportionately. You will have pockets of high deer #’s where large landowners won’t allow this and the “regular guy” will be hunting deer decimated small parcels. 3) It often attracts “hunters” who simply want to “shoot a bunch of deer”. They shoot at running deer with high power rifles at 200-500 yards. They have no clue if it’s a Shed Buck, Button buck or a doe. Hunters have become outraged when the season was in place at the amount of Shed Bucks & extra Button bucks killed. Guys from “Up north” come to these areas for shooting and don’t have any care as to the ramifications to other hunters. 4) This accomplishes nothing except wiping out the “everyday hunters land”, loss of access, degradation of our resource & collateral damage, etc. How many bucks I’ve personally seen that made it through all deer season to be shot down with a high power almost to February is a travesty. 5) This season is after January 10th, its disturbingly late in the year – many stressed bucks have shed their antlers (especially in cold winters) and does have large, somewhat developed fawns in their bodies at this time. It’s a sickening season that should never return & for countless other reasons.

HF 210 – Straight Wall Rifle Bill. Allows pistol rounds for deer hunting in rifle type weapon.

· Please read any outdoor website, some of which have voting buttons for Iowa Sportsman. This is wildly unpopular.

· One reason it’s so unpopular: it’s not needed and hunters see it as the natural stepping stone to “more weapons, more killing & a slippery slope into far more weapons & regulation change”.

· Hunters have been bombarded with late rifle season, the Crossbow lobby & every other further exploitation of hunting you can imagine. This is just one more step forward. It needs to stop.

· HERE’S SPECIFICALLY WHY IT’S NOT NEEDED!!!..... 1) If “recoil” of a gun is an issue to smaller or younger hunters… hunters may use 50-60 grains of powder in a muzzleloader already to get an almost non-existent recoil. There’s also new low-recoil shotgun rounds. Bows & Crossbows have no recoil – Crossbows can be used by seniors & disabled and also be used by anyone late Muzzleloader season. 2) Cost for shooting Muzzleloaders, basic shotgun loads or arrows is extremely minimal as it is. 3) Arrows are reusable and one could reload a shotgun slug if they so desired – cost & use is NOT an issue anyone I’ve ever met experiences. 4) Other states have destroyed their hunting with Liberal regulations & adding weapons – please ask any Iowa hunter if their neighborhood is flooded with Non-Resident landowners owning many parcels for hunting since the hunting in their own state has gone down the tubes. 5) This will not provide further revenue as massive amounts of hunters we all know are being pushed out of the sport as it is. We saw massive amount of deer tags NOT SELL for the last several seasons. Access is terrible, getting worse & more guns into Iowa’s small amount of habitat is not needed. 6) Hunters overwhelmingly do not support this!!! Go to ANY Iowa Sporstsman/Hunting forum easily and look. One example is here where they actually took a poll on this: https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/conversations/legislation.33794/#message-34179

PLEASE STOP ADDING SEASONS, ADDING WEAPONS, LIBERALISING & EXPLOITING OUR DEER HERD!!! It’s a fragile resource that’s already way too far over the edge of “opportunity”. If anything, please rein in the regulations, shorten the seasons and protect our fragile resource. Please stand up against special interest that wish to make $ off our resource or the Lobbyists who wish to make any step forward to eradicating the deer. The pendulum is swung way too far in their direction as it is. We need a friend in the DNR & Legislature to please swing the pendulum back towards the fragile resource and every day hunter. Thank you!

Last edited:
Every email I have sent to my state legislators has been answered and responded to within 24 hours - they really do listen to us.
Great way to voice your opinion and make a difference

This is the list I have for members of the natural resources committees that was sent out on an IBA legislative email. I emailed this entire list and heard back from 3 right away. One of which was thankful and admitted he was unaware of some of the issues I addressed. Another was the creator of the straight wall cartridges bill. Without posting his entire responses to me on a public sight and his reasons to "why" Iowa should have this bill pass. I will say I thought most of his reasonings were complete bogus and without merit. Thank you Skip and everyone else who continues to address these issues year in and year out. Its an exhausting never ending battle.

ken.rozenboom@legis.iowa.gov
tom.shipley@legis.iowa.gov
robert.dvorsky@legis.iowa.gov
bill.anderson@legis.iowa.gov
jerry.behn@legis.iowa.gov
rick.bertrand@legis.iowa.gov
michael.breitbach@legis.iowa.gov
waylon.brown@legis.iowa.gov
rita.hart@legis.iowa.gov
tim.kapucian@legis.iowa.gov
kevin.kinney@legis.iowa.gov
jim.lykam@legis.iowa.gov
rob.bacon@legis.iowa.gov
dean.fisher@legis.iowa.gov
curt.hanson@legis.iowa.gov
clel.baudler@legis.iowa.gov
Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov
bruce.bearinger@legis.iowa.gov
Wes.Breckenridge@legis.iowa.gov
peter.cownie@legis.iowa.gov
dan.huseman@legis.iowa.gov
david.jacoby@legis.iowa.gov
David.Kerr@legis.iowa.gov
dave.maxwell@legis.iowa.gov
helen.miller@legis.iowa.gov
Norlin.Mommsen@legis.iowa.gov
scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov
todd.prichard@legis.iowa.gov

Gonna email these guys this week. Thanks for the footwork guys!
Talked to a couple fellas at work and they hoped the late rifle season would come back. They see 60-80 deer in one of their fields during the winter and think, "there are too many deer on my farm!" They can't understand the fact that their 50 acres of corn they never got out is pulling every deer within 3 miles to their section and that this population is not an true assessment of the deer population on their farm. I think some conservation education to these weekend warriors would go a long way.

Talked to a couple fellas at work and they hoped the late rifle season would come back. They see 60-80 deer in one of their fields during the winter and think, "there are too many deer on my farm!" They can't understand the fact that their 50 acres of corn they never got out is pulling every deer within 3 miles to their section and that this population is not an true assessment of the deer population on their farm. I think some conservation education to these weekend warriors would go a long way.
I couldn't agree more sad thing is there will always be people with the motto kill, kill and kill some more. Far to many hunters only live for to day and couldn't care less what their actions will do for the future resources..... very very sad but a fact of life.

And those same guys that see 60-80 deer in winter and think there's "too many".... Those same guys don't seem to realize they have 4 months right now to kill all these overpopulated varmints? 6 seasons, 5 weapons and 4 months. Should be plenty of time for them to blaze away! Which, I totally agree with Ishi - always gonna be masses who are not educated and just wanna KILL! Case in point..... Exactly what you said - a massive food source in WINTER has deer HERD UP - they don't realize that come spring and fall, all those deer disperse. There's always going to be large elements in the public that are out for a "good time" with no understanding of the ramifications. You make an excellent case & example. Why this garbage season should never return.
They asked me last night "so, you'd actually like to see the season shortened or dial back the regulations/seasons?". I said "ABSOLUTELY!!! 6 seasons, 5 weapons and 4 months!!! OF COURSE I WOULD!..... But, I realize that's probably NOT going to happen. I'm concerned with holding our line in the sand where it sits NOW!!!".
Thanks to you guys who are making a difference with this education, writing in, having an understanding of the issues and fighting for our fragile resources!

To the guys that see 60-80 at one time and to the guys that see 8 at one time...both think there are way too many deer. Point being that we will never ever get everyone on the same page, hunters or the non-hunters. educated about deer or the noneducated. That's the reality

To the guys that see 60-80 at one time and to the guys that see 8 at one time...both think there are way too many deer. Point being that we will never ever get everyone on the same page, hunters or the non-hunters. educated about deer or the noneducated. That's the reality

And if there's 8 deer in a whole county left, don't be fooled, we'll NEVER hear the end from the likes of Farm Bureau, etc. This battle against any deer will never end if Farm Bureau & special interests feel they can advance the season longer than 4 months, kill more deer, add more weapons, sell more XYZ weapons (special interests, say the Crossbow lobby). It doesn't matter if there's 2 deer left in your county and you have permission on ZERO acres - there will be new proposals for seasons, weapons and ways to kill deer if hunters don't fight back and speak up.

Top Bottom