Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Knowledge & Solution quest for Info to combat EHD & TICKS....

Yep- u look at ingredients in Kent 365 and it's very good. I think it hits all the magic #'s with like 8% phosphorous and all the good trace minerals & vitamins. Plenty of calcium, etc, etc, etc. it's crazy how much better these types of mineral are VS some that are high priced bags of salt.

Thanks for the info on the Kent brand. The Purina has been elusive to find but found a dealer in Indianola with the Kent. Do you add any molasses or anything to it?
I do a little if the deer don't seem to like or want "xyz mineral". It should have some in it but adding a little can help.

CCF04082017.jpg
I bought some of the Kent 365 ADE yesterday. It does have molasses listed as well as containing iron, cobalt, sulfur, etc. which aren't listed on the spec sheet. Really great stuff at $2o for a 50 lb bag!
CCF04082017_zpssepfljqx.jpg.html][IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Kent brand. The Purina has been elusive to find but found a dealer in Indianola with the Kent. Do you add any molasses or anything to it?
I don't add anything to it, it does have a slight dried grains odor to it, so they should find it if you put it near a trail.

Should we be worried feeding the Kent brand to deer if it says, "Don't feed to sheep"? I assume that deer are able to tolerate or withstand it or else this thread wouldn't exist. I just noticed that and wondered if we may want to be cautious. Thanks for the info so far. I'm excited to get it out and see if I can see a difference!

Should we be worried feeding the Kent brand to deer if it says, "Don't feed to sheep"? I assume that deer are able to tolerate or withstand it or else this thread wouldn't exist. I just noticed that and wondered if we may want to be cautious. Thanks for the info so far. I'm excited to get it out and see if I can see a difference!

Sheep are unique. Non-issue in short (I forget, something with their digestion, I recall this from long ago but you can look it up, bloating perhaps, I forget).
IMO - takes a couple years to notice difference to deer. I really do notice a difference in racks, junk, mass, etc. I also notice more does with triplets (fertility) which in some cases might not be good but shows health. But, on EHD, if they eat this, sulfur & maybe garlic, that's what I'm going to work on this year that I'm hoping will help over the midge season.

Sligh's correct. Sheep are unique but it's a copper toxicity thing. Don't remember all the specifics but they are prone to eat too much & overload on copper. Won't bother cattle or deer.

I was thinking it was selenium that sheep shouldn't have? I believe when I worked at the Mill (while back) that was the problem ingredient

These minerals are sneaky hard to get ahold of! I'm from out of state and was hoping to have the dealer in Indianola leave my order outside and pick it up on my way through town tomorrow night BUT they don't take credit cards! Who doesn't take credit cards in 2017.

These minerals are sneaky hard to get ahold of! I'm from out of state and was hoping to have the dealer in Indianola leave my order outside and pick it up on my way through town tomorrow night BUT they don't take credit cards! Who doesn't take credit cards in 2017.

lots of places in southern Iowa! It's like a time warp at times. I thought check books were extinct until I moved here (Only half kidding)

I love it. :)

What are you looking for? I got Kent from thiesens with my credit card

[QUOTE="MN Slick, post: 623850, member: 104"Who doesn't take credit cards in 2017.[/QUOTE]
Heartland coop by my house for 1!!! Unreal, I said same thing a couple weeks ago too. Ok, I'm gonna show up to pick up a giant load of mineral, when they ask for payment, I'm going to bring out things to trade.... "how about this.... 3 muskrat pelts, a flintlock rifle, 14 eggs, a beaver trap & some chewing tabacco?!??!?!". I think that's what they are looking for, methods like that, since no Credit Cards, RIGHT?!?!? :)

Arm and Skip, when are you guys putting minerals out? Also where is the Thiesens you found it at? I have not been able to find it up in the ne corner.
Thanks

All thiesens have it. Farm fleet has comparable, etc, etc. You really can find it anywhere. If you get a brand that's not as "attractive" (I've found some are not as desireable) - I'd buy a bag of dried grain molasses and put like 5 lbs with your 50 lbs of mineral. Helps. Tractor supply pry even has something. But, anywhere, all the heartland coops, any coop period, call em up. MFA's have similar, you name it. Show em a label like attached & they find you comparable.

Oh - put out ASAP!!!! They need it starting in February to be honest. they really "seek it" then too. They need to rebuild their skeletal systems. If depleted, it will take from rack growth if they have deficiencies. I checked a cam I forgot about last night- big old pedicles like top of popcans just barely popping up on deer. So, their bodies have been building up for rack growth the last 1-2 months. sooner the better. By time July hits, almost pointless for racks BUT still benefits other stuff like immune system & stuff I'm gonna mix in for deterrent for flies biting them.

Thanks guy! I go through Indianola every time I go down to the farm. I'll stop there this week when I go through.

Considering eliminating mineral sites and feeder's are two of what seem to be the simplest things as hunters we can do to curb spreading cwd, in theory. Is the threat of ehd and the possible benefits of the mineral outweighing the possibility of cwd?I am unsure how Ehd is spread? Seems Ehd is far more immediately catastrophic. Cwd we don't know I suppose. I stopped using mineral last year til more comes out on cwd, personal choice. Used to have mineral made at the co-op for way less then buying something with the words "rack" or "antler" or deer in the name

I hear what ur saying. I have thought about this. Here's some things I'm still thinking through... most of which don't support some theories on cwd and some that maybe do....
A lot on cwd doesn't even seem to be understood yet and if u read througb cwd thread- stuff like prions staying in soil forever and being transmitted by birds, almost leads one to believe it's almost inevitable aside from just killing every deer off period. Maybe I'm wrong but sure reads that way. No cure, far from concrete answers and when found, it's stuck in soil "forever."
I guess I don't think minerals will make any difference by me because: every cow pasture is full of them by me and deer eat em like crazy. Then, I've probably got "100 " scrapes on my farm every year that are there every year and both bucks and does put their faces in it- so even a deer scrape is gonna spread it if this is the case.
No- I don't want to "promote it" but I personally don't think the minerals are gonna really make any difference. But- sure - I probably need to think about this some more & keep waiting for definitive solutions on cwd but I kinda have the feeling there never will be. Killing every deer in the country seems to be about the only way to not have cwd. Just looking at it with common sense and I'm not an expert on it by far. Listening & reading to the "experts" though.

Last- yes, I'll admit... im sick and tired of seeing areas get 50-60% of the bucks and sometimes deer period, wiped out in a season of ehd. If I can do something - I wanna try.
If in reality there's nothing we can do about cwd, IF, that seems to come about as the reality- I guess dealing with some things we could have some impact on would be my goals (All the ehd wipe outs). I don't have answers on a lot of the stuff but reading the "experts stuff" - it just seems to me they don't have the answers & if I did nothing and removed minerals, plots & killed every buck so there wouldn't be a scrape on my farm - I still think it wouldn't make a lick of difference. But- again, Ill continue to read & listen. This is simply one joe-schmo's reply to ur question. All I can apply to all of this is common sense until they tell us they have "found the concrete answers" to this stuff. To date- seems far from it and there's a few parts of the cwd discussion I wonder if it's a little blown outta proportion or some Ill-intended forces involved there. Maybe not. As long as I have deer on my land and they keep going to all the natural locations or minerals all over on my neighbors or natural food locations that concentrate them- there really anything that'll make a difference in reality???

One issue with putting riprap around your ponds is that if done right deer couldn't walk on it.I just starting selling the products from grandpa rays outdoors and it has a very good mix in their minerals,also John is a certified animal nutritionist.

Top Bottom