Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Long range scope

2dblind

I'm looking for a good long range scope. Pretty green on the knowledge on this so I'm looking for any recommendations. Like it to be a good unit for out to 600 yds (target shooting) and hunting scope for reasonable yardage as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for a good long range scope. Pretty green on the knowledge on this so I'm looking for any recommendations. Like it to be a good unit for out to 600 yds (target shooting) and hunting scope for reasonable yardage as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
For straight walled cartridges or high power? Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Look at this thread over in the gear forum: https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/one-rifle-for-out-west.55666/page-3#post-623093

Smokeless muzzleloader

You can spend as much as you want for a long range scope, but for a smokeless muzzy I have been very happy with my Leupold VX-2 4-12X with the CDS (custom dial system) with the "windplex" reticle. It's easily all I need for smokeless muzzy ranges without breaking the bank, yet you still get Leupold quality and support. Send Leupold the specs on velocity bullet etc. and they make a custom dial for you. Included is a chart to help with wind compensation. Range it, dial it and shoot. It's not a Nightforce or a Huskemaw but it's not $2K and you're not gonna shoot a 1000 yards with a muzzy either.

I was thinking about the Burris eliminator iii. Any thoughts on that? Rangefinder scope
I know a few guys that have burris eliminators on smokeless muzzys and that setup is ridiculous! The holdover at the push of a button takes a lot of time and potential guesswork out of the equation. If you can afford that scope I'd do it without hesitation based on what I've seen!

Along with the range you are looking for make sure you consider getting one with a good reputation of handling high recoil guns. Vortex Viper PST is a good one for under $1,000 and Sightron s-tac has good options around $500. I have a Weaver Super Slam on one of mine and they hold up too.

vortex viper pst 6-24x50 ffp (i have on sml and like it) also have a weaver grand slam 5-20x50 (hard to beat for the money) look at a nightforce shv great scope for the $$

Your biggest concern with buying a scope for a smokeless muzzle loader is... can it hold up to recoil well.
And typically the glass will be on par with the scopes ability to handle the recoil of a SML, in those types of scopes.
That should be your #1 concern...can this scope handle the recoil of a SML?
I've had a couple of Leupold VX3's let loose on me after a while.
Your best bet is to stick with the heavier tactical style scopes with a 30mm tube, and a robust body.
I have 3 Sightrons on my SMLs, and rotate a Burris XTRII, in the mix.
I also bought a S-TAC 4-20x this year , but I only have around 100 shots on it with a SML. So the jury is out on that scope still...
For the money it's hard to beat the Sightron SIIIs, but the power range can be limiting. Lots of high end magnification, but not so much on the low end.
A good bet would be the Sightron S-TAC 2.5-17x if you want a little lower power range.
I've read that is the only S-TAC that has the same glass and consturction as the SIII's do.
The S-TAC 3-16 and 4-20x, do not have the same glass and construction as the 2.5-17 do, for whatever reason. The cheaper price of the 3-16 and 4-20x, reflect that.
The Nightforce NXS, and Bushnell Tacticals have held up to the recoil of a SML as well.

I like something with a BDC reticle if you're gonna be shooting out to 600 yds. A million options out there, but in my experience you can't go wrong with a Leupold or Vortex.

I have zero experience with smokeless muzzleloaders, but, from what I've gleaned in this thread, it sounds like you need something along the lines of a good LR rifle scope. I have the Vortex HS-LR 4-16x50 on my daughter's rifle and will be putting the 6-24x50 of the same model on my new 6.5WSM. It has both the BDC reticle and target turrets (1/2" moa), which is a little redundant imo, but its a great scope.Once you have your load worked up and dialed in, you can go to Vortex's website and plug in all of your load data (including chonograph data), and it will tell you the number of clicks you can adjust your turrets at each anticipated range. That scope will go well beyond 600 yards and stand up to any recoil.

Top Bottom