Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rain perfect for trees

12000 was with a tree planter. Did another 6-700 by hand. If you can not out plant the deer I would go with cages. I know that I more than likely would not have the time to clean out each tube yearly. Tubes work if you can babysit them. Definitely spray for weed control.

can I get some guidance on how much and how often to water some chestnut trees that I planted this spring? I picked up a few at Theisen's as a spur-of-the-moment thing, and now that they've been planted for a month or so, I think they look kind of sickly. We have clay soil, and from what I'm reading that might be a tough deal either way, but I wonder if we've been over-watering. thanks

can I get some guidance on how much and how often to water some chestnut trees that I planted this spring? I picked up a few at Theisen's as a spur-of-the-moment thing, and now that they've been planted for a month or so, I think they look kind of sickly. We have clay soil, and from what I'm reading that might be a tough deal either way, but I wonder if we've been over-watering. thanks
Over watering. 99.9% sure. Heavy clay.... drowning them.
Relocate to better draining soil. Now, things are drying out so hopefully the damage isn't done. Another idea, what I'd try.... go to each tree with a tractor bucket full of top soil (ideally, tree soil you'd buy but that's too pricey)..... Mix in Perlite & Vermiculite.... Cheap, can get anywhere, mix with soil and build "burms" higher off the ground. Will it allow things to drain in the clay? Won't help a ton BUT it does get your trees out of that soup of water. Heavy clay and chestnuts or moist soil.... do not mix well. Perlite & vermiculite will aid in drainage, etc. Ideally, finding a tree soil that has bark in it, etc is always nice but expensive. In any case.... Raise em up, get em out of clay. Let em dry. Would not hurt to hit them with a few fungicides as well.... Immunox (easy one to find - I buy generic in concentrated bulk but Immunox is great, on any shelf - same with "INFUSE" for branded name of another one you can also find generic), Copper, Captan, etc, etc. May be able to rescue them. Those trees are pretty fusy on soil and too much moisture.

Top Bottom