Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Layoffs

Third---how good is the access right now for residents, I keep hearing that it is impossible to get on farms to hunt right now. Is that accurate or not? Maybe the resident landowners do not let many hunters on their farm?

They don't let residents because one NR will pay 5k to hunt there . Little jimmy and his dad from the hometown 5 miles from the farm suffer . Now every landowner around hears that farmer Joe got 5 k from guy in MN to hunt so they think their ground is worth 5k . Now jimmy his dad their buddies and their kids suffer . It's not bad in our area and I'm thankful for that . But a lot has changed in southern Iowa and it's in favor of the rich man .

P
They don't let residents because one NR will pay 5k to hunt there . Little jimmy and his dad from the hometown 5 miles from the farm suffer . Now every landowner around hears that farmer Joe got 5 k from guy in MN to hunt so they think their ground is worth 5k . Now jimmy his dad their buddies and their kids suffer . It's not bad in our area and I'm thankful for that . But a lot has changed in southern Iowa and it's in favor of the rich man .
A great MN, Bob Dylan, sang in 1964, The times they are a changin!

Not a word there ( unless I missed it) about license fees. Should we really beat up the Governor over the legislators failure to address the increase in license fees? WAY overdue!!!!

Exactly. Lost access to a farm I hunted for 15 years. Now they lease it weekly.

I must have missed it also. I agree the legislators need to address this. Hopefully it comes back next session and with lots of voices they will pass the increase. I going to read it again.
He is talking more about the I Will issue that the legislature won't act on if I read it right.
The I Will needs to start along with a fee increase

Last edited:
P

A great MN, Bob Dylan, sang in 1964, The times they are a changin!
I get that, no doubt , but say that to your kid when his dreams are crushed ....when you got no where to go but the public ground and theres 3 pickups in the gatehole... We all created a lose lose situation with a greed built on big antlers.

Last edited:
I get that, no doubt , but say that to your kid when his dreams are crushed ....when you got no where to go but the public ground and theres 3 pickups in the gatehole... We all created a lose lose situation with a greed built on big antlers.

That is a sad reality for anyone that doesn't have access to private ground. Iowa has very little public.

We have lost access in MN as well. I used to pheasant hunt a dozen farms, now the owners keep it to themselves, which makes sense.

Make a priority to buy some land, even if it's 10 acres. Work your way up, there is a guy on this site, who did that and has over 1000 acres.

Your payment might be same as your cell phone bill on your first purchase. Once it's paid down, buy bigger.

Maybe raise your kid to work hard for what he/she wants, get educated, and make it happen? That's a thought....People have been paying to farm ground, I don't see anyone crying how that pushed Johnny out and the kid down the roads dreamed were crushed....

We have lost access in MN as well. I used to pheasant hunt a dozen farms, now the owners keep it to themselves, which makes sense.

Make a priority to buy some land, even if it's 10 acres. Work your way up, there is a guy on this site, who did that and has over 1000 acres.

Your payment might be same as your cell phone bill on your first purchase. Once it's paid down, buy bigger.

That's a thought, quit crying about what you don't have and do something about it.....I agree with your post over crying for poor Johnny

It's not always about hard work. My dad started with 6 cows and rented for 20+ years working 7 days a week, 16 hour days. He chopped the hay at night with my mom because he had to milk and feed cows during the day. Most years the milk price isn't enough to make hardly anything. He finally over extended to buy a farm in 1998 and it's always a struggle to keep going. There is never enough income to make needed upgrades and take home some money. He gave it all up so one of us has something to own after he dies. He got cancer in 2009 and I quit at the farm service company I worked at came back to help so he wouldn't have to sell the cows. I have been here since then working 6-7 days a week. We can't all sit at a desk and sell things to other people, or dress in a suit and have weekends off. Someone had to what others won't. Think of that the next time you have ice cream, a pizza, a cheese burger, yogurt, milk on your cereal. My brother sells and makes a real good living, but I take pride in what I do. Making a land payment on a cellphone bill isn't reality for most people. First you have to have land available to buy, and that's hard to find in one specific area. I bust my ass every day, don't tell me if I worked harder I could own more land. 150 acres is 800-900k at least. Beginning farmer loan might get you halfway there.

Maybe raise your kid to work hard for what he/she wants, get educated, and make it happen? That's a thought....People have been paying to farm ground, I don't see anyone crying how that pushed Johnny out and the kid down the roads dreamed were crushed....
Now it's about how hard you work? I would love to see some of you "hard workers" come to my area and compete with these farmers over ground. They would laugh at you. Several years ago when corn prices were high they were paying 6k+ for ground that had never been farmed before. Dozed the trees and creek lines to be farmed. Market fell so a lot of it went back to pasture now but no trees.

Again tho this doesn't help the debate. Why not keep things the way they are so when little Johnny gets through with all of his hard work he doesn't haven't to deal with competition of NRs over ground, driving prices up? Just trying to look out for little Johnny from Iowa.

The fact is, that Johnny in Iowa is paying more for marginal ground, or not able to buy ground at all thanks to more competition for it. A lot of that competition is from non-residents. Why do anything to encourage more competition? It makes no sense for those that understand the economics of it all and the impact it has across the board for Iowans. There are plenty of little Johnny's in Iowa that would have loved to farm but can't because the prices of ground have gone crazy. There are plenty of cattlemen that would loved to have increased their herd to bring in a son, but can't because the marginal pasture ground was bought up at inflated prices by non-residents that don't want any cattle on the ground anymore. They want it to grow up in brush or switchgrass to attract deer. So, if you haven't heard about that happening, you need to get out more and learn what is really going on in Iowa. Again, there are only two reasons to encourage non-resident land ownership. 1) Financial gain 2.) Blatant disregard for residents.

Now it's about how hard you work? I would love to see some of you "hard workers" come to my area and compete with these farmers over ground. They would laugh at you. Several years ago when corn prices were high they were paying 6k+ for ground that had never been farmed before. Dozed the trees and creek lines to be farmed. Market fell so a lot of it went back to pasture now but no trees.

Again tho this doesn't help the debate. Why not keep things the way they are so when little Johnny gets through with all of his hard work he doesn't haven't to deal with competition of NRs over ground, driving prices up? Just trying to look out for little Johnny from Iowa.
Peterson farms is one of those who bought farms bulldozed trees and turned timbers into farm ground..... Corporate farming is killing the smaller guys.

The fact is, that Johnny in Iowa is paying more for marginal ground, or not able to buy ground at all thanks to more competition for it. A lot of that competition is from non-residents. Why do anything to encourage more competition? It makes no sense for those that understand the economics of it all and the impact it has across the board for Iowans. There are plenty of little Johnny's in Iowa that would have loved to farm but can't because the prices of ground have gone crazy. There are plenty of cattlemen that would loved to have increased their herd to bring in a son, but can't because the marginal pasture ground was bought up at inflated prices by non-residents that don't want any cattle on the ground anymore. They want it to grow up in brush or switchgrass to attract deer. So, if you haven't heard about that happening, you need to get out more and learn what is really going on in Iowa. Again, there are only two reasons to encourage non-resident land ownership. 1) Financial gain 2.) Blatant disregard for residents.

Wouldn't prices be higher in Iowa than say Wisconsin, Eastern Nebraska, Minnesota and Illinois if so many NR were driving up prices?? I have been watching the market since 1999--every week---up until the past year or so, Southern Iowa was much cheaper than the surrounding states (minus Missouri). Right now it is similar to all the surrounding states.

One of the reasons NR bought here over the years was because the price was lower, and the income from cash rent and CRP was potentially higher than other states. I know several site members--including myself that have bought farms for $2000/acre or slightly higher--even just a few years ago.

Some of the land you can buy in Warren County at 3000-4000 acre is unbelievable. That same land in another state, say MN, within 30 miles of the metro or Rochester would be $10,000-20,000 acre.

Say if a person had three parcels of land for sale;), would they part with it at bargain price or sell it for what the market could bear? I think most people will try to find the highest sale price because you only get to sell it once.

Top Bottom