Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Straightwallers

isu22andy

Well after the interesting DNR layoffs thread , who is going ahead and using a straight wall cartridge and what are you using for this seasons gun season? Lever, bolt or AR platform? I think I'm going slug gunning yet but just curious to see the answers on here.

I am switching from my muzzy to a 45/70 Lever action. Ordered one last week. Marlin Stainless Steel guide gun with ghost peep, no scope to start, maybe red dot.

Looking hard at the Rugar bolt ranch rifle. Zeroed at 200 yards it should be an easy 250 yard gun. I have read a lot of reviews with good accuracy with factory loads. If I hand load I should have a 300 yard gun. I would not shoot over that distance with any rifle anyway.

This one is tough because I love my 11-87 sportsman. It's strictly a deer gun with Williams ghost ring sights and a smooth barrel. 75 yards and under its absolutely deadly with cheap rifled slugs.

But...I also love my AR. I have 3 uppers already for my lower (5.56, 300 BLK, 22 LR) and would love to build a 450 bushmaster.

Doubt I will though. I have taken some nice bucks with the old remmy...and its nice to know you trust your gun when you are out there. I rarely have shots longer than 75 yards when we group hunt...and if I am at a spot where that is likely to happen I bring the muzzy along anyway.

Maybe some day.

Two years ago, I bought a Henry .44 Mag lever to go with my S&W pistol. I'm debating on carrying it this year, though I'm tempted to keep hunting with the scoped Savage ML10II.

Nice gun, and you got in on the $100 rebate to boot!
You bet, that's why I got it. That and I have always wanted one. I don't really gun hunt to hard, just a doe maybe, and want to be able to make sure if a yote comes by I get him.

Selling quite a few .450 Bushmaster uppers that fit on any 223 lower - lots of people making the switch away from shotgun slugs.

I used it as an excuse to get a Henry 45/70 with the hardened steel receiver. Nice gun, not sure if I'll hunt with it
20170809_185522-1448x1448.jpg

I didn't think .450 was on the approved list. Did that change?

Yes- in regs it allows certain lengths and .450 bm fits in it. With hand loads- "easy" has trajectory and killing for 300 yards. With Hornady ammo, 300 is still doable.

One other round for hand loaders is the .45 Raptor Ballistics that are pretty insane. FPS In the 2600-2800 range. It's a 350 maybe longer AR-10 platform round.

Not a huge fan of the new weapons law but took 2 minutes on google to see the exact same law was implemented in other states. *not getting into debate BUT - super interesting that we coincidentally adopted all the same verbiage and criteria for our law as say, Michigan implemented and other states. What happened was, IMO (ok, this is just fact), the gun lobby crafted the law, got other states to adopt it and they pop around from state to state lobbying senators and house members of that state to put this new law out. It's very strategic and they simply hand them the written terms and verbiage for law and bam- legislatures push it (motives??? Hmmmm) and passes yet another state. Gun lobby moves on to the next shotgun state. They want gun Sales revenue, ammo sales, etc. which, to some extent I don't blame them. They have ZERO concern for the impact of the change- good or bad. & hey- last 2 cents in regards to above "dnr lay offs"..... geez, with all the new gun sale and ammo revenue and taxes- sure could have saved those jobs. How ironic nothing from this new weapons sale & tax revue was allocated to that?!?

Fine though- fight is over. What's interesting is the SAME strategy and process will take place with crossbows, rifles, etc. these lobbying groups already have the laws written, talking points and they "sell this crap" state to state with $ as the goal.

But - not trying to start argument - just side note of education on how & why this works.

BUT- u want range and power.... .450 bm or .45 raptor in AR platform, with .50 Beowulf, etc up there. Lever action - if I did go that route and wanted higher power and trajectory - I'd do .444 marlin. But if ur lever action, power probably isn't the absolute top priority.

As all this goes by, I do have my slug gun and ML and I actually have AR's. End of the day, unique to me, I'll end up getting something with my bow and that's probably about it. I go out gun hunting (in stand or blind) and do enjoy it, I just always get my deer with bow. 90% or more, for a variety of reasons. Stoked for hunting season no matter what. Can't wait to get the bow up a tree.

Last edited:
They allow smokeless muzzleloaders that can shoot 300+ yds. Dumb people will be a danger no matter what gun they have. A few of the guns on the list are a tad extreme but I think it's more mag capacity that is the issue not the gun. If they had a 3 shot limit regardless of caliber it would be a start

They allow smokeless muzzleloaders that can shoot 300+ yds. Dumb people will be a danger no matter what gun they have. A few of the guns on the list are a tad extreme but I think it's more mag capacity that is the issue not the gun. If they had a 3 shot limit regardless of caliber it would be a start
Not to start the debate or argument..... & again, if this was last of "new weapons" for iowa, great. Difference - ML are, IMO, 95% of the time shot from a single hunter, sitting alone in one spot. ONE SHOT, done. One deer, done. vast majority NOT doing smokeless 300 yard ML's either - 150 yard ML is by far more common. AR's off shelf with .450 or .45 are 300 yards right away.. & with AR's (the weapon of choice, heck, what I'd use if I wanted to SHOOT).... Capacity of 9 to 20 rounds, semi automatic rapid fire & done, very often, in groups of 5-20 guys and often (majority) - shot at RUNNING or moving deer. Multiple bucks by one hunter if they share tags, lots of rounds going off. Yes, in all fairness, I'm not a fan of existing shotgun season & what SOME groups do but this really makes what's dangerous already, and I'd argue harmful in MANY management regards - and makes it worse. The law is passed and I'm moving past it. Make me DEER DICTATOR THOUGH!!!!! OH MAN!!!!!..... GONE. Shotgun groups, 1 buck per person per season. Never a crossbow for able bodied bow hunters in archery. No rifles in iowa for deer, EVER. Long list of Executive actions that would improve access as well. Public land would go on a "lottery" to keep pressure "reasonable" and more private being made walk on and also be on lottery too so it's not blown to bits. Oh, man, it's fun to dream. DEER DICTATOR! Man, what a fun position!!! If I looked like a short fat young North Korean man, I'd have the job tomorrow!!! DEER DICTATOR, things would change!!! ;)

Regardless, law is now the law. WHATEVER. .450 BM with 9-20 capacity, hand loads or even the hornadys, man, that's some frigin massive fire power and killing force. .45 raptor, just step that up another notch. Definately be fun, I'll admit. I don't want em all over the state like they will be but Moot point. they will be and that's some POWER!

I think you would like Kansas Sligh. Moved here a few years ago and Im a big fan of their deer hunting regs; One buck tag per hunter, but it lasts for all seasons sept 1-dec 31. They have lottery drawings for access to great pieces of public land to keep the hunting high quality. Which by the way isn't too hard to draw because most people don't take the time to apply. Think i've been drawn 3 out of the last 4 years. By the way these drawings are open to nonresidents as well. We also have lots of walk in hunting areas which is private land leased by the state wildlife agency. They do have a rifle gun season but there is no party hunting and it is in early December. The downside to kansas; no late muzz season and crossbows were made legal a couple years ago.

Kansas is my next favorite destination period. I spent 5-6 years hunting in Northeast Kansas and one year i hunted in southeast Kansas. I'd love to try northeast again or south central or even the middle of the state.
If iowa ever deports me - I'm coming to KS!!! If the US ever deports me, I'm going to Alberta or Saskatchewan. Canada & KS are my last hopes. Genetics, nutrition & far less people. That's honestly why places like canada could allow ANYTHING for weapons- u can get so far away from people, deer die of old age. Iowa is far more fragile with 6% timber and lots more people.
im on my way if ICE deports me!!!! ;)

Skip....my man....I love your posts on everything...except this.

I've never heard of a reliable 450 bm mag that holds more than 12 rounds. Maybe someone has converted a drum...

I do know people hunt with a saiga 12...and I would much rather them throw around accurate rounds of 450 bm than use a 20 round drum full of rifled slugs and spray and pray.

In the end idiots will be idiots regardless of what gun they use. These idiots hunt that hunt with 40 cent walmart slugs might think twice about spraying and praying $1.50 a round.

What gun season in Iowa needs more than anything is mag limits.

Skip....my man....I love your posts on everything...except this.

I've never heard of a reliable 450 bm mag that holds more than 12 rounds. Maybe someone has converted a drum...

I do know people hunt with a saiga 12...and I would much rather them throw around accurate rounds of 450 bm than use a 20 round drum full of rifled slugs and spray and pray.

In the end idiots will be idiots regardless of what gun they use. These idiots hunt that hunt with 40 cent walmart slugs might think twice about spraying and praying $1.50 a round.

What gun season in Iowa needs more than anything is mag limits.

All good!!!! My wife never agrees with me and we still make that work!! ;). Kidding!!

I see your point. Here's a defined illustration of mine on your VALID "idiot" point. And I agree- idiots all over.....

Idiots In southern Iowa - idiots in Northern Missouri. Habitat, nutrition & potential the same. Idiots hunting both sides of the line....
WHY????.... why is is the north side NIGHT & DAY BETTER!?!???? Two different universes???? Idiots - same. Habitat - same. Genetics - same. So... what is it???? It's REGULATIONS. A handful of them. Liberal regulations on the south side of border. Conservative on north. Examples: when the gun season occurs (biggest reason, sure), weapons, tags, etc, etc. MO is a disaster (in my strong opinion - unless u find big enough coop that gives middle finger to dnr and restricts access). If u boil it down- it ends up being a RIFLE as the weapon of choice + mid November that created a recipe for disaster.

I don't want to get hung up on that exact example "well, it's more the timing vs the weapon" or whatever. My point is this: the more liberal and aggressive we get with changing our regulations, adding any BS u can think of- the closer we'll be to mimicking MO or MN or IL or whatever.
& heck- same guys who want the new weapons will be complaining about "no where to hunt" - I know I'm gonna hear and see it 1st hand.

But in any case, "settled law". I hope folks have a great & fun season - even if it's with their .450 BM ar's (which are cool, no doubt!!!!). All good on disagreeing - I love it. Especially when guys are using their Brain when they disagree. :).

Oh crap!!! ICE is battering down my door- so long fellas!!!!... I'll reply from Canada or wherever I end up!!! I'm simply going to beg for "good hunting & not lot of people" - might be Fiji. Gotta RUN!!! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom