Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD Reports?

loneranger

Any reports of EHD in the SE? If dried up ponds and creeks promote this it must be epidemic in the SE. Ottumwa area Oskaloosa look like deserts! My area 2 inches of rain in the past 3 months! This must be promoting ehd?

Very much a concern! I've not heard of any yet but if it's going to happen.... it won't be long fingers crossed big time.

I have a close friend that lives in Ottumwa. We have been talking about the possibility quite a bit. In some spots it actually may be too dry for EHD. The larvae needs mud. A lot of the creeks are completely dry with bottoms cracked. there isn't even any mud left. EHD also tends to hit higher deer density areas harder, due to the increased chance of a deer contracting it. Lots of the area around Ottumwa and south/west was hit with EHD in 2013 and spots in 2015, so deer density is pretty low. that may actually help the chances of recurrence in the immediate future. Just a theory, but I also think an individual farms proximity to cattle ponds makes a difference (I have a whole theory on this). It certainly does not look good in much of southern Iowa. I have a lease that has nearly 6 acres of soybeans that wont make pods. It has received less than an inch of rain since June 1st. This year started out dry too...much of the state didn't get very much snowfall. Soil moisture was already behind when Spring started.

You said it. This dry pattern began in 2011. Not constant but keeps coming back now. Officials tend to deny any particular area stays dry, but SE Iowa has been on that drought map all of 2016 and now even graduated to Moderate in 2017. Wonder when the Severe designation will be posted?. We are now entering the driest part of the year. Aug thru Oct. My trees dropping leaves. Fruit tree leaves curling to conserve moisture. Weeds in fields drying up. My clover plots gone. Deer gonna be eating dead grass this fall! Oh but the NWS had us under a flood watch this week. This was the 4th one issued during this drought. The weather models are clueless. As well as the people who trust them! Don't get me started. I know. I am just the guy always crying DRY. But it is. And it was.

Well ive been in floods too. Drought is killing my fruit trees. Hurt many farmers here bad. Even in this day of crop insurance. I had flood damage before. Ruined my basement once to the tune of 5,000!

Top Bottom