Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land values

Now that prices are higher, maybe some NR will look elsewhere? Prices were relatively affordable in late 90's and early 2000, so it was an attractive buy (plus cash flow). If you buy high, the farms are not cash flowing like they were in the past.

Largest increases in value are in the lowest crop producing areas. Its recreational land values that are driving a lot of that. And, you are right, NR's are a big influence on what that ground brings.

You don't have to care. But, there are local consequences to that change in ownership pattern. To be flippant about it, is pretty childish though. Local people have been hurt financially and lost out recreationally because of it. I don't see a lot of humor in that.

Largest increases in value are in the lowest crop producing areas. Its recreational land values that are driving a lot of that. And, you are right, NR's are a big influence on what that ground brings.

You don't have to care. But, there are local consequences to that change in ownership pattern. To be flippant about it, is pretty childish though. Local people have been hurt financially and lost out recreationally because of it. I don't see a lot of humor in that.

You didn't read the article did you? The value is agriculture related not recreation based off of sales

You didn't read the article did you? The value is agriculture related not recreation based off of sales

I would love to hear you elaborate on what these numbers actually mean and prove....................................

Decatur County went from $685 productivity value (assuming that's per acre) to $661 productivity value which is a 3.5% decrease in productivity over a 2 year span (which makes sense if you follow grain markets over that time frame).........yet taxable value of the land went from $316 in 2015 to $361 in 2017, which from the real estate stand point; productivity value and taxable value are going to go up as supply decrease and demand increases (simple economics)

Please riddle me with you non bias, non resident bashing of what this garbage from Dream Dirt (REAL ESTATE COMPANY) really means other than what we didn't already know; that those southern tear counties of Iowa are big buck production area's/highly desirable for recreational activities. On top of the fact, based off productivity value, the land shouldn't bring squat if someone is looking to make a living farming it....................

Last edited:
I saw this the other day but I don't fully understand it. What is the calculation that determines productivity value? I assume grain price, CSR, moisture, taxes, input cost, etc. What on earth is the formula?

I guess as much as you can feel sorry for anyone else, why do you, it is not in your control.... Unless you eliminate NR period (no hunting) at all, then you will have NR buying in Iowa.

Every state has NR buying in their state, my state-MN--has way more NR buyers of lakeshore, than you do farms in Iowa. There are rich guys in Chicago buying lake homes in MN for $$1-10 million (paying cash). Do I go online and say "gee if only NR would not buy in Mn, the lakeshore would be cheaper.".... 9 out of 10 of my friends/family want to buy on the lake and live on the lake, but they prices are too high. Reality!

Do you ever hunt or fish in another state? Do you want that ability to end?

I guess as much as you can feel sorry for anyone else, why do you, it is not in your control.... Unless you eliminate NR period (no hunting) at all, then you will have NR buying in Iowa.

Every state has NR buying in their state, my state-MN--has way more NR buyers of lakeshore, than you do farms in Iowa. There are rich guys in Chicago buying lake homes in MN for $$1-10 million (paying cash). Do I go online and say "gee if only NR would not buy in Mn, the lakeshore would be cheaper.".... 9 out of 10 of my friends/family want to buy on the lake and live on the lake, but they prices are too high. Reality!

I am not against NR landownership. You know that. Its going to happen to some extent regardless. I am against giving NRLO's any concessions on buck tags. That would in fact open the flood gates and basically eliminate all but the very wealthy from owning recreational ground. I think that Iowans deserve a small compensation for living in a state with a relatively poor economic opportunity. For many, enjoying the outdoors is about all they can afford. I just hate to see that taken away from them. It's obvious that some of you just want to twist that into something that it is not to fit your selfish ideologies. But, its really nothing more than what I have explained over and over. Yet, some of you continue to come up with every excuse to make selfish wants of NRLO's a priority and put up a smoke screen as to why there would be no negative outcome. Or, you simply don't care.

It seems like you helped make my argument by pointing out that 90 percent of your friends and family can not afford to do what they would like in their home state. To reason that Iowa should follow that lead is ridiculous at best. I guess I care because I want to see my friends and neighbors continue to enjoy their recreational opportunities in their home state. Its amazing how a few of you continue to twist that into some evil witch-hunt against nonresidents. lol. Your tactics are clear to anyone with higher than a room temperature IQ. Perhaps you don't recognize the ambivalence and selfishness involved.

For God's sake, give it up man!

Your fishing in Minnesota doesn't compare on any level to deer hunting in Iowa....Period! Lake front property to Iowa soil, walleyes to whitetail, high populated area's to low populated area's, insane amount of wealth vs simple living, none of what you are trying to compare works or makes a lick of sense! Give it up already!

I am not against NR landownership. You know that. Its going to happen to some extent regardless. I am against giving NRLO's any concessions on buck tags. That would in fact open the flood gates and basically eliminate all but the very wealthy from owning recreational ground. I think that Iowans deserve a small compensation for living in a state with a relatively poor economic opportunity. For many, enjoying the outdoors is about all they can afford. I just hate to see that taken away from them. It's obvious that some of you just want to twist that into something that it is not to fit your selfish ideologies. But, its really nothing more than what I have explained over and over. Yet, some of you continue to come up with every excuse to make selfish wants of NRLO's a priority and put up a smoke screen as to why there would be no negative outcome. Or, you simply don't care.

It seems like you helped make my argument by pointing out that 90 percent of your friends and family can not afford to do what they would like in their home state. To reason that Iowa should follow that lead is ridiculous at best. I guess I care because I want to see my friends and neighbors continue to enjoy their recreational opportunities in their home state. Its amazing how a few of you continue to twist that into some evil witch-hunt against nonresidents. lol. Your tactics are clear to anyone with higher than a room temperature IQ. Perhaps you don't recognize the ambivalence and selfishness involved.

Maybe that concession is 3 buck tags.....

What drives up land prices in SOUTHERN IOWA (SE, SC, SW, Eastern Iowa, western Iowa - the areas with the timber).....
Every other state that has ruined their hunting due to Liberal Regulations has the "hard core guys" who want the "last hope of quality hunting & land" - see Iowa's southern area as one of those last places. To a large extent they are correct. Why, within a 15 mile radius, over 50% of my neighbors (off the top of my head) are from: WI, PA, AL, NY, UT, IL, MN, FL, GA, MO, SD, ND, ETC. That's guys I know off top of my head. I don't fault them. But think about that.... Every state I just listed, I would have to imagine, all or almost all of them: have whitetail and have far more whitetail than we do. SO.... WHY????? WHY do they leave hunting in their own state, which has whitetail deer all over & drive 5, 10, 20 hours & wait 3-4 years for a tag???? 1) Because their states have been ruined & 2) the economy has grew, interest rates are low, many have watched their stocks & investments soar & now they want to have quality land & hunting. Since, the VAST majority of states have exploited and destroyed their hunting (special interests, politicians, stupid regulations, Liberal regulations, too many hunters, over killing of bucks, WHATEVER).... They seek out areas that aren't destroyed (YET!!!! or pockets they feel aren't ruined YET): Iowa, KS, Canada, Ohio, etc.
Rec prices will come down with economy downturn & interest rate increases, no question. If that happens. If Iowa goes down the tubes and mimics other states, the prices will also come down. Both are very real possibilities and simple realities. I'm just talking facts here and leaving the emotional argument out of this. I'll leave that part to other people ;) To me, this is a learning lesson for the folks that love Iowa - PROTECT IT from being ruined like the other states. OR, if one really was out to "change the world" - get the states the people are FLEEING & frigin FIX THEM! They are examples of destroyed opportunity!!!!

Makes sense to me. Each state offers different opportunities which are desirable to folks who don't live in that state. All of which cost money.

But Hardwoods and the rest of the out of state cronies aren't talking about what it costs or even $$$ for that matter! They are saying because you buy something in another state you should ultimately have rights and be treated as if you are a resident. Comparing a non delicate resource like a walleye with an extremely delicate resource like Iowa's giants is ridiculous and these babies know it!

• Deleted by Booner
Show…
I think it's time for a sub-section for the NR landowners on this site. They're so darn important to our economy and way of life; they deserve a section all to themselves!

For God's sake, give it up man!

Your fishing in Minnesota doesn't compare on any level to deer hunting in Iowa....Period! Lake front property to Iowa soil, walleyes to whitetail, high populated area's to low populated area's, insane amount of wealth vs simple living, none of what you are trying to compare works or makes a lick of sense! Give it up already!

Whatever you want to think. It is real estate, that is the topic of this thread (land values)...both land in Iowa and land in MN are real estate.

But Hardwoods and the rest of the out of state cronies aren't talking about what it costs or even $$$ for that matter! They are saying because you buy something in another state you should ultimately have rights and be treated as if you are a resident. Comparing a non delicate resource like a walleye with an extremely delicate resource like Iowa's giants is ridiculous and these babies know it!

No, the topic was land values, and once again you guys are crying about it (you have no control over it) and I was just pointing out that we have no control of lakeshore values in MN, just like you have no control over farm values in Iowa. The only way to decrease land values would be to eliminate NR completely.

I did not bring up more buck tags, it was not in this discussion. The only thing I have said in the past two years is that +1 preference point, and one or two more doe tags, I think would be a good idea. But you know what, if it never changes so be it--no big deal.

Whatever you want to think. It is real estate, that is the topic of this thread (land values)...both land in Iowa and land in MN are real estate.

Yep this thread is definitely about real estate..............

Yep.....Really sounds what you are arguing about, land values and how that pertains to investments outside of hunting deer in Iowa and what rights you don't have or wish you had here in Iowa........

[
Yep this thread is definitely about real estate..............

Yep.....Really sounds what you are arguing about, land values and how that pertains to investments outside of hunting deer in Iowa and what rights you don't have or wish you had here in Iowa........

Sorry you lost me

• Deleted by Booner
Show…
Top Bottom