Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trouble With Rangefinder

The Silence

PMA Member
Just wanted to touch base with you guys about a basic issue I'm having with my Nikon rangefinder. Normally it preforms great but last year I noticed that there were times where it just would not make a reading. I'm normally just rangeing various things around my stand such as trees,posts, shrubs etc and normally not out that far. I changed the battery out already but that didn't solve the problem. I'm thinking about trying to clean the various lens surfaces on a more regular basis in case that's contributing to the problem. Should it be sent in and cleaned periodically? I've only been using it for 2 or 3 years on around 40-50 hunts. Any thoughts?

Following this. I have a Leupold and it's always been hit or miss. Its really good out to anywhere on solid dark objects but say a tuff of grass at 25+ yards, no way. Same situation you see?

That could have something to do with it, since rangefinders work off a laser beam being reflected back to the finder I believe. The perplexing thing for me is that I know that there were times that I was bouncing the beam off a tree and I still could not get a reading at times. The weather factors I haven't taken into consideration, but I obviously need to.

I suggest you contact Nikon &/or send it in for them to check out. Now is the time to do that before you really need it for hunting season.

Top Bottom