Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth gun

Oct-Lull

Looking for recommendations on a youth gun. Muzzy, shotgun or straight wall /pistol. Needs to be small enough frame and light enough. My son will be 8 next season and he wants to go this year but can't handle a gun on his own. If he can't carry, handle and shoot it safely on his own I am not letting him go. My accura v2 and my Marlin are too heavy.

I bought the CVA Wolf Youth 50 cal. and have been happy with it for my two kids. Straight wall cartridges were not legal at the time is was buying , so I did not evaluate any of the lever actions.

Knight Wolverine youth model worked great for my boys. Bought an adult stock for each when they were big enough. Not sure if it is still available, but worked well for them.

I see the Mossberg Bantam is like 5.5 lbs. Most of the ones I have seen are over 6lbs and mine are closer to 7 lbs. I just don't think he can handle a 6.5-7 lb gun very well. I'm not so worried about recoil, within reason

I was gonna recommend the mossberg super bantam slugster. It's 5.25 pounds and has a fully rifled barrel. And then if needed you could buy the bird barrel if they were interested in turkeys, small game, or upland. I have shot a few 500s but never owned one. They seem to be a decent shooter. The only downside with going the shotgun route is that then he would have to sit out early and late muzzy if he didn't tag out during the actually youth season. Whereas if you went with a youth muzzleloader then if he struck out he could hunt youth, early muzzy, 1 shotgun season, and late muzzy until he tagged out.

Good advice on sitting out during the muzzleloader seasons if you go the route of a shotgun.

We have a mossberg bantam 20g with the rifled barrel and bird barrel. Being light, it kicks like mule on slugs. I ended up weighting down the stock with lead to lessen the recoil and we shoot off a Caldwell field pod. We have since got a T/C Impact, its alot nicer for recoil and shoots good. It also has the spacer in the stock so you can shorten it down. Like mentioned before, you can hunt every gun season without having to switch. I would highly recommend the Caldwell Field Pod, its really nice for kids, the wife and heck I use it to sometimes.

I went with a remington 11-87 youth model for my boys 8 and 6. Has a shorter length of pull and comes with shims to adjust as they grow. Lot less recoil than the 870 of mossberg 500. We shot a lot of trap with it this summer and my boys loved it and shot it really well. Oldest also shot a turkey with it last spring. I only put on round in at a time. Been very pleased with it. Very nice shooting little gun. Shoot it a lot myself.

we have a Bantam 20 and the Knight Littlehorn. The Bantam has a pretty good kick. The nice thing about the Littlehorn is you can load them down to 50g when the kids are little and powder it up as they grow.

Top Bottom