Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Prices

nontyp

Has anyone done a timber sale lately? just curious if timber prices are decent right now. We are considering purchasing a property and I don't think it has been logged in a long time. I know there are some really large walnuts on the property.

I'm 90% certain walnut, white oak and soft maple remain strong.
IMO- Any size lumber grade walnut 19-20" dbh and above, 26"+ veneer and any along creek bank that might fall in are smart sale. I highly recommend getting a conservation minded forester out there to give you advice. The second u get opinions that have $ involved in any way- 99% of the time your smaller veneer walnuts will be targeted before they should be taken.
But yes, I believe the market is strong and get several opinions from foresters in your area.

Last edited:
I don't think walnut will ever be cheap, you read about incredible demand for Midwest walnut...much of it overseas.

I've had several friends sell some Walnut trees lately - prices are apparently very high.
One had three different places bid the job and one was double the price of the other two so it pays to shop around.

Prices are good a lot of guys looking bidding now should be the same this fall,winter. I have a bunch to cut can't wait to start.

Prices are good a lot of guys looking bidding now should be the same this fall,winter. I have a bunch to cut can't wait to start.

One thing I've had to do.... hold my nose when and grit my teeth with guys going into my timber to look to bid. Cool down and leaves start falling too- buyers love looking to bid. The same time I do not want guys in my timber!!! I usually try and bid it out at another time that makes sense. Non hunting time & give guys lots of flexibility.
I also had a smaller sale I did on junk where guys cut all sept. Ended up being fine.

Just sold Walnut and my forrester said it set a record price, im not sure what he meant by that but it must be good. It was well above his estimated price before the bids came in.

Think about this one guys....
Florida and Texas, massive destruction and rebuilding. Supply, building, labor and material costs WILL GO UP around the country, period. A lot of those homes in Florida especially "High end rich folk's homes". I was asking my buddy that's a builder.... "so, like walnut, oak, etc - stuff for cabinets, furniture, desks, etc, etc, etc - likely to go up?". He's a smart cookie.... "OH YEAH" he says. Makes sense I guess. I got 3 iowa buddies who do machinery or construction work that just picked up shop to go south because of how lucrative it is for them. Interesting impact this MIGHT have on Iowa timber prices, possibly.

How do I find a forester? Any recommendations for SE Iowa?
Thanks!
Start with the state foresters. They wont handle a timber sale, but they will provide advice and names of private foresters in your area. 5 minute phone call and you will be off and running in the right direction.

What percentage of the value does the logger usually take? Just curious and trying to get some rough numbers. we plan to hire a forester to look things over at some point but I’m still just trying to pencil things out.

What percentage of the value does the logger usually take? Just curious and trying to get some rough numbers. we plan to hire a forester to look things over at some point but I’m still just trying to pencil things out.
U mean what % the Forster take? If so.... private foresters usually get around 10% of the sale. Loggers bid and take all marked logs. A good private forester will watch the process close. The “best” private forester- IMO- is hard to find.... a guy who will leave veneer walnuts under 25”. Hard to find because everyone wants as much sold as possible to up the total price. They could care less that a 23” dbh veneer walnut will be worth a fortune more if it could get 3-4” on it. It’s astounding the value increases the last several years put on walnuts. It’s also astounding how many people take em before they can do that. Most people on all sides want fast $ and don’t care what “smart financially planned logging” could be if done right. Find a guy who will help you save your “green tomatoes” - sell your “ripe stuff” and if u kept the “green tomatoes” - you could have a lucatrive second sale in 7-10 years.

If u want to PM me which part of state your land is- I can give u some more advice. If it’s close by me, I probably could help you.

To answer your question another way a lot will depend on the value of your timber and the amount of effort to get the logs out. In average to good timber the total revenue from the logs could be split 50/50 between whoever is cutting and the landowner. If the value of the timber is above average then the total split would go as high as 75%to the landowner and 25%to the logger.
The above advice from Skip is spot on in reference to the exponential growth on true big walnuts. The only other side to consider is there is always the off chance they are older than one thinks and past there prime. I cut a place in September and was surprised that about 75%of the big 24” plus trees had hollow or rot started. Another 10 Year’s and the value would be significantly less. Will try to post some pics

Agree. Please post pics too!!!!
Ya- folks who really know their stuff and are “honest without being overwhelmed with bias” need to help you. I’ve seen what hans1 is talking about too. Extreme example..... by my house it’s a crummy soil ridge. Somehow it’s packed with walnuts even though it’s not a great growing soil & area for them. Many 20” trees are completely worthless. There’s some others towards bottom that’s better soil but were choked out for years. Look younger but they really are just stunted trees. It takes a careful eye but on a basic level- u can see high quality bark that appears totally different than stunted or stressed trees. I’ll snap some pics and post them later on some different trees.

No sales....but

Someone I've gotten to know over the last years purchases for a living. Prices remain strong, especially on walnut, especially to Asia.

Top Bottom