Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rattling

Bearman205

Hey guys, I'm a new member but I've been around awhile reading the forum. I've only been bow hunting a few years, so I always have questions. My question for today is I'm wondering if anyone's had any luck with some light rattling yet or is it still to early?

Too early. There is a 2-3 day window in early November it can work like magic. Make sure set up is good cuz those rascals will try to get downwind every single time.

I'd rattle if I was trying to pull a deer in that was not gonna come in. Try some grunting 1st. I wouldn't blind rattle now but that's me. Even when it's good, i don't rattle very much. Over half the rattling I pry do is when a buck is "out there" and I'm trying to pull him in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. When I hunted small & overhunted parcels, it would drive me insane hearing the guy across the fence rattle 15 times before 9am. IMO - give it a whirl if you see one. If you do it blindly, I'd do it very conservatively & not over-do it.
I don't use decoys (just not my thing, not a huge fan) but I know guys who do have luck with em. I'm sure if you get a buck to see your decoy by grunting or rattling, could help so he sees a possible source of noise or locks eyes on what he wants to beat up. Again, not a fan of decoys but ya, getting em to see it would help if you spot buck at distance.

I tend to give it a go right after 1st light and maybe late close to dark in the chance I will get one in range before dark. Otherwise I'll try a mid-day sequence if slow. Mostly just a tool to pull one in if he's cruising out of range. I have rattled one in on opening night over 79 degrees, and one late November right at first light. Also years ago I rattled in and missed a buck in late December. You never know but sparing is key I think

November 5th through the 12th hammer em every day for me. I rattled in 4-5 deer last year including the one I killed.

U never know, what going to push their buttons. I've rattled a fair amount, and I really get after it, in that November 3-10 time frame. I try to anger the big mature bucks. It's all about the reaction, I like to be able to see the reaction of the deer to it.

I witnessed an 8 and 9 spar Saturday. My dad witnessed something really cool glassing on Sunday morning where two bucks started fighting in a field and within a couple minutes 5 more bucks were in the field to watch it unfold. So obviously a rattling sound wouldn't be unnatural right now. That said I wouldn't want to risk educating deer or bringing one down wind of me to scent check by calling blind. If you see a good one way off and want to tickle at him it may not hurt but personally I won't even be bringing the antlers out with me until Oct. 30th.

so many opinions on this topic.... here is my thoughts. I have shot buck that range from 140s to 180s and every buck I have shot with my bow I RATTLED in !! Yes earlier in the season only the young studs come to show off but now getting close to rut in my opinion the game is on. You need to smell like a buck sound like a buck and look like a buck, if you want to rattle so using a decoy is not always a bad idea. My target buck got smoked by a random buck last night in my yard! Heard something, wend outside found my target scattered all over the yard. It all really depends on the situation and the property and your preference.

Yesterday evening I rattled in 4 different bucks. They were from 1-3 yr olds. I was on the ground leaned against a tree and all came within 20 yards. I snort weezed and grunted loud and hit he horns loud and vicious. I did this 3 different times and had the 4 come in. The 3 year old was definitely looking for a fight, he was bristled up and stiff legging. It was slow and dead calm, so I decided to see what would happen.

Young bucks will start paying attention pretty quick, like this week from my experience. I rarely blind rattle anymore, I actually think it does more harm then good. If there is a buck out there that I see and think he is going the other way I will grunt first. Then grunt again (different series or sound). 2. rattle soft and generally try to soften it as I have had a few peg me in the tree.

I just haven't had to many mature deer come in to a blind rattle. Blind Grunts for sure but not rattles.

I've never rattled in a mature deer. Plenty of young ones but never mature. Maybe I need a bigger set of rattlers.

I rattled in and shot a 157" 9 pointer on October 29th quite a few years back.But doesn't work for me very often.In this case he was out of bow range and i just tickled the antlers together softly & he came in on a string.

I have rattled in a lot of bucks. Nothing big, but I rarely see anything big anyway, even on my cams. But plenty of 1.5s, 2.5 year olds, sometimes 3.5. Works like a charm usually for me to bring something in. Be ready, sometimes one will be in before you can even get them hung up, and other times I will spot a buck way off through the timber slowly making his way over and it could be 10 minutes before he gets there. Its amazing how close they will get, often within 20 yards or so, I think its really neat how they can hone right on where the sound came from, even 5+ minutes later.

• Deleted by Central Iowa
Show…
I'm also a novice who wants to know what baits are best used for the deer hunting. When I was interested in this issue on the Internet, I came across a very interesting article about deer attractant , in which the most popular are presented. Can someone recommend which bait from the presented there is better to use?

I am sure you are probably aware but just in case you are not, baiting is illegal in Iowa.

Top Bottom