Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Team #11 thread-Lets go guys!

bradley

triplebeam
Good luck to my Teamates!Lets get some deer on the ground! I start vacation Nov 1st til Nov 12th.Having a baby on the 6th by c-section so won't be hunting my 3 favorite days nov 6th-8th.

Lets do this! I'm on vacation November 4-12 so hopefully I can add something for our score. Did my first sit of the year yesterday and nearly had a chance on a 150 at 30 yards, just no shot opportunities.

After not shooting a deer last year, if I don't have a buck I want to shoot give me a chance, I should be able to at least get a doe down just because I'm about out of venison and really want to unleash an arrow on something other than foam!!

0C1CFB04-0F22-4C0E-9B89-5220D74D50A0.jpeg 7DD5046B-5DBF-4F05-B49F-EFED6D77559F.jpeg I am sorry for just getting around to posting a picture and story with my buck I shot on Sunday, October 15th. We had our third baby on September 22nd so I knew I had to pick and choose when I asked to go hunting. With the cold front on the 15th I asked if I could go both morning and night back at my home place. I knew it was a little early for morning sits but I had been getting pictures of this buck anywhere from 6:05 am to 9:45 am so I thought t was worth a shot.

I had set up all of my tree stands about 3 wks before baby and the direction this buck was coming and leaving from left me without a tree stand to hunt him from. I hadn’t used my climber in nearly ten years but knew of some trees that would work with the wind. I also remembered that I had just replaced my cables on the climber and had not hunted since then so I felt safe using it.

The morning didn’t go as planned as my rope broke when I tried to pull up my pack. I climbed back down and up and then spend the next 10 minutes bare chested trying not to soak thru my clothes. I was lucky that I was in early so nothing spooked during he time. Ended up seeing 16 deer with 12 being bucks. Only one decent 4-5 yr old 8 pt but he was probably 80 yds away. I got down about 10 am feeling excited for the movement knowing that the afternoon should be better.

After hanging my clothes on the fence to dry for the next hour everything was dry again. I did 30 minute cycles in my scent crusher duffel bag to get the odor under control for the evening hunt. I went out about 2:30 to sit. Normally I wouldn’t this early but I had permission form my wife and I was going to do whatever I could to try to tag out early.

From about 3:30 on I was in deer. Nothing big but bucks and does were all around. They were picking me off in my tree so I was nervous that it would be a waste of a hunt should anything big show up. It’s hard to hide in a climber when you weigh 250 lbs.

As it got later I started hearing some sparring back in the thicket. I heard two different fights then heard one past me near the cut corn. I gave two contact grunts thinking that it might pique the bucks interest and at least I could see who it was. He came down and put on a show in front of my camera working a scrape but was a young 8 pt. Soon after some of the bucks that I could see in the thicket finally worked their way past my stand. Both were young but I could see another trailing them at a much slower pace. He would scan for longer before walking. I was able to get my binoculars on him and see that it was the buck I was after.

I’ve hunted some decent bucks and had some luck to get shots at them but managed to somehow mess something up. This was the easy as he walked right 20 yards from my tree broadside. I pulled back when he was behind a couple trees before he exposed his vitals. Once he cleared I squeezed off and heard the loud pop of a rib breaking. I got down to find a ton of blood coming out of both sides. He ran about 20 yards before slowing to a walk for nearly 80 yards with blood pouring from both entry and exit holes. My biggest buck killed by nearly 15 inches. I think my wife was happier than I was when I called to tell her the news.

It feels weird not worrying about how I’m going to try to get out to hunt in November. It’s totally worth it as we adjust with our third child in the house.

Good luck to everyone this season. I am looking forward to reading your stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a great buck and a new kiddo!I know how it is our 4th addition is coming on November 6th so I am starting vacation tomorrow in hopes of tagging out early also.

This is a start :cool:
From what I’ve been reading on this thread it seems this team is having issues with rut babies.
Take it from a pro count back 9 months and refrain from making whoppie and go stone cold Austin a month before and after this time frame it won’t kill ya:(!! Remember you need January babies :D:D

Congrats on the little one and the big one Showstopper! Way to get us started. On vacation 4-12th also so hopefully will be able to contribute to the team. No rut baby issues here but it seemed to provide one of our teammates with extra focus to get the job done early.

Last edited:
I tried to help us out I shot a 150 incher on November 3rd at 12:30 and hit him back a bit in the paunch i would guess.I waited three hours then started trailing him i kicked him out of a bed but he just stood up dragging ass and walked of slowly tried to get another shot but way to many little willows in the way.I waited til morning to go back and followed blood from his bed another 300 yards then lost it in the swamp.went out couple more times looking for a total of 6 hrs or so and could not find him.sURE HE IS DEAD IN THE THICK SWAMPY WETLANDS SOMEWHERE!Sucks I need someone with a good drone to fly over and see if they can spot him.Know anyone near southwest iowa.Is it legal to use a drone to try and recover deer .I remeber seeing something about this one time?

That sucks. I struck out on my vacation. Passed a few deer but didn't see the movement I normally do. Hopefully be able to connect on a weekend now or at the very least pick up a doe tag and fill it.

Nice job Lunker. I'm still trying guys. I have a half day at work tomorrow and then off the rest of the week. Maybe a good one will come by!!

Sorry team. Two years in a row now I have not shot a deer. I passed plenty of bucks, just nothing that I wanted to put my tag on. I had full intentions of trying to feel my bow tag during the late season, but with the extreme cold temps sitting in a stand with a bow just didn't sound enjoyable. I did get out the last weekend of the season for two good sits. Actually had decent buck I would have taken at about 50 yards, another 15 yards closer and I would have flung an arrow. I did have full intentions of taking a doe that last weekend too and even had a group of four at 20-25 yards, but I figured if they had made it that far through the seasons they all deserved to make it, I felt pretty humble just letting them go by and not filling my tag.

Top Bottom