Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rec Land Companies

hotshott2289

I was going through some land listings on a couple of the hunting geared land websites and looking at listings in our neck of the woods. I am completely baffled at how they come up with some of these land prices. listing farms that have no return for 6k an acre? is that where hunting is heading for all of us? Are these whitetail properties, iowa land co type guys pricing out the average person from owning land? For me looking at buying my own land I think so, i hope this farm flipping "turn key" whitetail paradise stuff goes away.

Your telling me! I get discouraged every time I think I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a place and come to realization that your getting very little for big money anymore...

What's asked and what's signed for are 2 different things.
There are certain neighborhoods that are "killer" for management - and as a land owner, you want to be around those rare situations, prices get driven up. Some don't make any sense. Some amount of premium being surrounded by premium folks will and should impact price. I won't comment on the websites but i'd say the true results are somewhere in between. Sometimes, these realtors do turn down insane priced stuff, others say "heck, it's high but I'll give it a shot". Many don't sell if it's insane. Most don't.
We always have SOLID DATA we can go back to, don't forget that!!!!
http://www.rlifarmandranch.com/docs/2017_Fall_Press_Release.pdf Page 2.
Non-biased, both ISU and Real Estate folks put this together. It's averages.
IMO - you spend $500 to $1000/acre more if you find farm in premium area, I could kinda understand that if you are just wanting to find "HOME" and be done. Spending double the value - no way. USE DATA, use info here and talk to others with knowledge on this to weed through some of what you see.

One member yesterday suggested starting a Real Estate Discussion tab on here. Could have threads on prices, trends, feedback from others, discussions on how to assess & buy farms, etc, etc. Should we add that? All non-biased stuff to help people.

What's asked and what's signed for are 2 different things.
There are certain neighborhoods that are "killer" for management - and as a land owner, you want to be around those rare situations, prices get driven up. Some don't make any sense. Some amount of premium being surrounded by premium folks will and should impact price. I won't comment on the websites but i'd say the true results are somewhere in between. Sometimes, these realtors do turn down insane priced stuff, others say "heck, it's high but I'll give it a shot". Many don't sell if it's insane. Most don't.
We always have SOLID DATA we can go back to, don't forget that!!!!
http://www.rlifarmandranch.com/docs/2017_Fall_Press_Release.pdf Page 2.
Non-biased, both ISU and Real Estate folks put this together. It's averages.
IMO - you spend $500 to $1000/acre more if you find farm in premium area, I could kinda understand that if you are just wanting to find "HOME" and be done. Spending double the value - no way. USE DATA, use info here and talk to others with knowledge on this to weed through some of what you see.

One member yesterday suggested starting a Real Estate Discussion tab on here. Could have threads on prices, trends, feedback from others, discussions on how to assess & buy farms, etc, etc. Should we add that? All non-biased stuff to help people.

I think anything that helps people make a good decision and is a benefit could be a valuable resource . Hunting is a resource on ground to most no different then a commodity hard to see when there is not a monetary return. If you want to be in the right area so to speak with the right neighbors there is a cost to that and may be hard to see in black and white. It only takes one bad neighbor to make your dream a night mare I say do your homework .

I have one simple rule when I purchase anything big If I had to sell can I move it fast and get what my value . Think about selling it before you buy it. Just always seemed to help me out..

I was going through some land listings on a couple of the hunting geared land websites and looking at listings in our neck of the woods. I am completely baffled at how they come up with some of these land prices. listing farms that have no return for 6k an acre? is that where hunting is heading for all of us? Are these whitetail properties, iowa land co type guys pricing out the average person from owning land? For me looking at buying my own land I think so, i hope this farm flipping "turn key" whitetail paradise stuff goes away.

I totally get what you're saying. It can be pretty frustrating to myself as well. As a guy that keeps his eye out also, there is no doubt a demand for those whitetail paradise properties. Otherwise, no one would ever buy them, right? IMHO...The market is what really determines price. I think this is preposterous but a totally loaded F350 has an MSRP of over $90,000. Talk about crazy! Now, I sure as heck am never going to pay that but there's got to be some people out there willing to pay it or they wouldn't even make them? And just like those F350's listing at say $95k, we all know it's highly unlikely to sell for that. Could it?? Surree. Do some sell at sticker price?? Possibly. Will the dealer take a lower price?? More than likely.

Here's another scenario...
Chuck has a farm...bad to the bone. Mega giant deer. Fair amount of income. He's done tons of work to it and it's as good as it gets.

Joe (chucks neighbor even share fence) says "hey chuck, what's your farm worth? Chuck says $3875/ac allll day.

Joe then thinks his farm is worth about 4K/ac even though it's not even close to as good as Chucks. About the same CSR's, probably share a few deer, but the similarities end there.

Joe then goes to chuck...Hey neighbor, I'd like to sell my 120ac to you. You've got about 600+ and I'd sell you mine. Chuck says, ok how much? Joe says 5k/ac! Chuck then proceeds to laugh and get back to work.

Joe then calls a real estate agent, tells him all about his "amazing farm" and tells him who he borders. Agents says, oh yeah you're set! How much do you want? Joe knowing he wants 5k/ac tells the agent "I'd like to ask 6k/ac". Agent is blown away but figures he'll give it a shot.

2 weeks go by and its on the market for everyone to see. We all laugh and crack jokes. 2 months go by and it's still for sale. A few lookers but nothing comes of it.

Joe gets frustrated asks his agent to do something. Calls him a loser and lazy bum. Agent then calls neighbor Chuck. Chuck says "no way you both smoke crack!" Agent says he hasn't smoke crack in over 6 months and really wants to put a deal together. At this point Chunk makes one offer of $4375/ac. Chuck thinks he himself is crazy but concedes to paying $500/ac more than it's worth on its best day and he's still going to have to do a ton of work to make it even worth $3875/ac like his is.

Joe receives offer. Hates the agent, hates Chuck, slaps the wife and kicks the dog. Next day he signs the offer.

Fast forward 2 months deal is done and closed on. People think Joe made out like a bandit, hate the land agent for driving up prices, and think Chuck is crazy. Very few people know all the details of the transaction and motivations behind it, but those that do, understand why.

Ok..I digress. Keep at it HotShot. You'll find something. Good day, Amigo!

Last edited:
I totally get what you're saying. It can be pretty frustrating to myself as well. As a guy that keeps his eye out also, there is no doubt a demand for those whitetail paradise properties. Otherwise, no one would ever buy them, right? IMHO...The market is what really determines price. I think this is preposterous but a totally loaded F350 has an MSRP of over $90,000. Talk about crazy! Now, I sure as heck am never going to pay that but there's got to be some people out there willing to pay it or they wouldn't even make them? And just like those F350's listing at say $95k, we all know it's highly unlikely to sell for that. Could it?? Surree. Do some sell at sticker price?? Possibly. Will the dealer take a lower price?? More than likely.

Chuck has a farm...bad to the bone. Mega giant deer. Fair amount of income. He's done tons of work to it and it's as good as it gets.

Joe (chucks neighbor even share fence) says "hey chuck, what's your farm worth? Chuck says $3875/ac allll day.

Joe then thinks his farm is worth about 4K/ac even though it's not even close to as good as Chucks. About the same CSR's, probably share a few deer, but the similarities end there.

Joe then goes to chuck...Hey neighbor, I'd like to sell my 120ac to you. You've got about 600+ and I'd sell you mine. Chuck says, ok how much? Joe says 5k/ac! Chuck then proceeds to laugh and get back to work.

Joe then calls a real estate agent, tells him all about his "amazing farm" and tells him who he borders. Agents says, oh yeah you're set! How much do you want? Joe knowing he wants 5k/ac tells the agent "I'd like to ask 6k/ac". Agent is blown away but figures he'll give it a shot.

2 weeks go by and its on the market for everyone to see. We all laugh and crack jokes. 2 months go by and it's still for sale. A few lookers but nothing comes of it.

Joe gets frustrated asks his agent to do something. Calls him a loser and lazy bum. Agent then calls neighbor Chuck. Chuck says "no way you both smoke crack!" Agent says he hasn't smoke crack in over 6 months and really wants to put a deal together. At this point Chunk makes one offer of $4375/ac. Chuck thinks he himself is crazy but concedes to paying $500/ac more than it's worth on its best day and he's still going to have to do a ton of work to make it even worth $3875/ac like his is.

Joe receives offer. Hates the agent, hates Chuck, slaps the wife and kicks the dog. Next day he signs the offer.

Fast forward 2 months deal is done and closed on. People think Joe made out like a bandit and think Chuck is crazy. Very few people know all the details of the transaction and motivations behind it, but those that do, understand why.

Funny as hell, best post I’ve seen in awhile.

• Deleted by hotshott2289
Show…
this is by no way a dig at some of these listing agents, Im more just saying that in my opinion its insane that this is the way its headed.. i also have a fairly decent grasp on the concept of a listing price, offers, and sale prices but thanks for the lesson.

this is by no way a dig at some of these listing agents, Im more just saying that in my opinion its insane that this is the way its headed.. i also have a fairly decent grasp on the concept of a listing price, offers, and sale prices but thanks for the lesson.

Absolutely, HotShott. I have no doubt you do. I was just trying to lighten up the mood a bit.

I was looking at one of the "Whitetail Land Whore" sites and he said he sells a property every 11 days. Sign of the times. 30 years ago I had a chance to buy ground in Decatur county at $80.00 an ac, but passed because I had plenty of ground to hunt. If only I knew what I know now.

I couldn't agree more and I've felt this way for a long time. Rec land price trends have been outrageous. I firmly believe that antler obsession will push deer hunting to a rich man's sport eventually.

I was looking at one of the "Whitetail Land Whore" sites and he said he sells a property every 11 days. Sign of the times. 30 years ago I had a chance to buy ground in Decatur county at $80.00 an ac, but passed because I had plenty of ground to hunt. If only I knew what I know now.
Ha ha! U and everyone else in the Midwest!!!
Here’s the thing..... ground usually runs cycles. This Rec stuff is high because the economy and outside $ has gone up a ton in last few years. When guys from “out east” or wherever see their stock portfolios triple since 2009 or they sell a company for “big $!” - why not enjoy life and spend “big $” on “enjoyment” - hunting land. Why I’ve seen hunting land sell higher than some tillable. It’s nuts. But- it’s a limited supply!!! 5-6% timber in Iowa- that’s LIMITED. When economy is flooded with extra $... just gonna go up and up.
Now- wait til we have a downturn or major hiccup. If and when we do. Hunting land be 1st thing to correct.
“Be cautious when others are greedy. Greedy when others are cautious”. Rec is at record highs. Stock market at record highs. I’m waiting. Putting my $ in tillable. No question- I’d buy hunting land million times before buying stocks (which is silly imo). But- $5-6k for hunting land- unless u paying cash for it- that’s a recipe for correction and some guys losing their butts. Guys who leverage to the max and live on edge - those guys will get pummelled if rec prices correct. IF IF IF we have economy set back or interest rates sky rocket- bubble to be burst. Kinda hope it happens!!! ;).

Last edited:
I like that term. Seems that is the new get rich craze and getting to hunt the land they have listed. Anything for a buck......literally

Fast forward 2 months deal is done and closed on. People think Joe made out like a bandit, hate the land agent for driving up prices, and think Chuck is crazy. Very few people know all the details of the transaction and motivations behind it, but those that do, understand why.

Funny (hilarious) and true

Keep in mind..... stock market has tripled since 2009. Dow at 7000 to like 21000 now. Rec prices in some pockets..... I saw some land in 2009-ish maybe $1700???? On the low end. Maybe 2500 on high end. Even back then- I personally thought it was a “good buy”. Stock market has tripled and the lowest priced stuff of 2009-ish has MAYBE doubled in that time. Maybe. Reasonable to good was still at $2-2400 back then.... that stuff still is $3-4K now. Yes- pockets that have better or worse scenarios.

BUT..... let’s boil this down to simple investment figures...... land actually has not gone up as much and high as stock market. Still say land is a far better buy and smarter investment.

Always room to buy small parcel to start. Always time u could jump in stock market. I’ll stick with land.

For simple investment figures....
Roughly an investment that puts out a nice/higher roi of 10% will DOUBLE in value every 7 years. Keep in mind- inflation is generally 1-3% depending on time period as well.

Hunting land over the last 10 years has not gained that much. It’s grown at a lower rate. Ag land grew at huge booms (double digits, 20%++ in a year for example) 2011 to 2014. So- by the #’s - guys are NOT getting wiped out due to rec land prices vs other investments. Tillable has also corrected back down the last couple years. Land “usually” is slow or steady/gradual in its rise and fall. Single digit fluctuations the most common. Historically. If anything - the #’s say stocks are the “insane price” You can still find reasonable neighborhoods and ground for reasonable prices. I’d trust data I posted above over some of the hot air I hear out there. There is some insane prices being paid but there’s usually more to the story on that. Like above mentioned. Keep those dreams alive- very real and possible to do this.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more and I've felt this way for a long time. Rec land price trends have been outrageous. I firmly believe that antler obsession will push deer hunting to a rich man's sport eventually.
Id say its 50% there.. The rest thats permission granted is getting cleaned up/shot up little by little. Its no secret that good ground/management/little pressure is a huge part of killing a wall full of big deer. I can hunt over 1000 acres of huntable private deer ground, but if 5 others can and 20 people during shot gun season , a 140 is a true trophy.

Agree. Start small. Don't do what ever you can, do whatever it takes. :)

"Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate and wait" -Robert Allen

One factor that many miss... you can borrow against real estate...25% down (or more)

Buy land at say $2500/ac
40 acres... $100,000

Land goes up to $3500 ac. You made the $1000 acre on someone else's money... the bank.

So you put out $25,000, and your value of the parcel will allow you to sell that and take profits into the next parcel, which may be 60-80 acres...

Work your way up... !

I saw & lived this x10 in 1990’s in Michigan. Not a new thing. I had permission on my uncles farms and one family friend. I was 14 -15 and just getting into it. My uncle died and all of his land given away or sold. Eventually I had one permission spot- that lasted 2 more years. Public land was my option for a couple years. I finally got permission on 2 160-180 acre farms. Seriously- each had no less than 15-20 hunters. No joke.
It’s bad here- yes. We should learn some lessons from our Midwest neighbors though - not exploiting resource and pimping it out. Laws & reg changes are the biggest factor here. It could be a whole lot worse - I’ve lived it. Crap for access has been an issue since the 1st year I hunted, back in 1993 I think. Was a pain in butt back then. Horrible. Guys need to protect Iowa in a whole host of fashions OR be prepared to travel to Canada or remote KS or western states if the land gets so out of control for accesss and opportunity. Conservation and Conservative approaches to our laws and management are the best weapons to avoid this. I could write forever explaining why but we need to protect this fragile resource and hunting here that still does have a lot of good opportunity for lots of folks. NOTHING GOOD IS EASY though- to be on “great ground” is always hard... hunting any animal, fishing, finding “the best of anything” - probably always will be like that. If I wanna have great pheasant hunting for example...... I couldn’t do it. I’d either have to spend a fortune on few hundred acres to pimp out OR I’d have to drive 6 hours and likely spend big $ in one of the Dakotas if I really sought out “the best”. Mediocre- sure- I can drive 30 mins. Premium - always hard to find and come by. Great things are almost always difficult.

Top Bottom