Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land

So I don’t have any place other then public land to hunt. My son and I were getting set up to hunt Bradgate State Fishing lands and two squirrel hunters showed up and walked right in by us. Anything that a guy can do or say to those folks that just traipse through the spot you are hunting? Also a question about stands on public land, I found a stand up on the same land about 60-80 yards from where we were sitting (ground blind), is it against hunting etiquette to sit in someone’s stand on public land? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often hunt public. Nothing you can do about the squirrel hunters but go further into hard to reach places. Most I have run into have been courteous and quietly moved on. As far as others stands I would never sit in one and I often avoid the area after finding a stand figuring the guy has pounded the area enough that I don't want to be there. There have been cases though when I have scouted an area I really want to be in and I'll get in a tree near by. I also try to gauge how heavily used the area has been. I won't let someone just claim a piece of public by leaving their stand there, if I get there first.

Most of my hunting is public land as well. I don't hunt out of stands I find. I have climbed into a couple for the view. :) Like mplane, I don't let it keep me from hunting nearby. Depending on terrain, vegetation, and season, I have set up as close as a couple hundred yards away. A stand in a public land tree doesn't "claim"a spot for the entire season.

So, you want to send the squirrel hunters packing because they are in "your" space, but wonder if its cool to sit in someone else's blind....................that's priceless.

So, you want to send the squirrel hunters packing because they are in "your" space, but wonder if its cool to sit in someone else's blind....................that's priceless.
Its not that I wanted to sit there, I was just wondering what the etiquette was, if I put up a stand for next year. I would prefer to put a stand up and when I go to walk in have some knowledge of what others may be thinking. I don't mind the squirrel hunters as long as they are kind enough not to make a ruckus on the way in and out. I get that its public land and that is their right just as much as mine to be there, but if I see someone there I question if its even worth it or not for me to hunt, I don't want to ruin a hunt for anyone. If someone is there generally I will just find a different spot or do my damnedest to not disturb them.

I don't think its ethical to sit in anyone's stand. I would give them space if they already have a blind there. That being said, there are plenty of guys out there that don't really care about hunting etiquette and there is nothing you can do about someone using your stand on public land.

I don't think its ethical to sit in anyone's stand. I would give them space if they already have a blind there. That being said, there are plenty of guys out there that don't really care about hunting etiquette and there is nothing you can do about someone using your stand on public land.
That is what I was wondering. I agree that there are a ton of people out there that don't care but I do care and want my kids to see that doing the right things is important in everything that we do. My son wanted to sit there but I told him that its not a good idea, because we don't know the person who set it. Thanks for the help fletch

I don' hang stands on public because I don't want people sitting in my stand on the wrong wind etc and blowing an area out so I use a climber. I have in the past come across some stands in the area where i was planning and hunting and I give them as much space as possible but if I'm there first that day after a long hike in and no one is there I will still hunt my spot. Carry a Ziploc bag with a note in it and strap it to their steps with your phone number and a note saying you hunt the same area and would like to contact them so you don't both show up at the same time. Some guys won't text you, some guys will say they are gonna hunt it every night possible, but there are a few who are honest and will tell you what their plan is and if they tag out and the area is all yours. Just an idea I've used.
I'e had new stands pop up in an area and they all say they hunt a stand first, but I've been climbing in the same area for almost 10 years so I don't let it bother me. If I get to my spot and someone is there I will pick a high visibility spot between that spot and the parking lot and get in an observation sit.
As for the squirrel hunters there nothing you can do other than be thankful they didn't shoot in your direction. Up in my area I've had them popping off rounds when I'm up in a tree and it's not fun. They often are using rifles much bigger than a 22 for some reason.

A friend of mine was hunting public in Lucas County. I text him and asked did you see anything...

He said yes ... squirrel hunters (of a certain nationality).

I said we're they pushing the timber...

He said, "yes and drinking beer and littering"

Dang near fell of the chair laughing. Tough situation no matter how you approach it.

A friend of mine was hunting public in Lucas County. I text him and asked did you see anything...

Dang near fell of the chair laughing. Tough situation no matter how you approach it.
Lol, the local gun store had a Tikka 300 win mag a foreign squirrel hunter traded in , said it recoiled too much.

Yup. I've been 20 foot up in November and when you hear the crack of a 30 caliber rifle and hear twigs in the air cracking it is something that will make ya scurry down pretty quick.

The only "unwritten" rules I know of on public is to show basic respect. You sound like a considerate guy just by what youre asking. Ive hunted public plenty of times and still would to this day if it came down to it. Keep an open mind, remember that its "open" to the public, and keep an eye out for other's stands. I know more than once ive come into an area and thought how good it looked to soon find out i am not the only one that thought that by finding a stand in the vicinity. I can say that if i hung a stand and found someone in it as i came into hunt, id be quite surprised! Best of luck, keep us posted.

I have had out of staters & out of towners both in my tree stands when I showed up but has only happened twice in my 19 years of hunting.there is a better chance of it getting stolen than somebody sitting in it.Now that is sad!

Tell your friend to contact the local Lucas County Sheriff's Dept when he sees it happen. I happen to know that they are not afraid to write tickets for people acting like a bunch of jackwagon's.

My understanding from the Local CO, its first come first serve on public ground if you leave your stand out. Now 99% of people have enough respect for people to leave others stuff alone, but there is always that 1%. Now mind you, stands cant be left year long. So no one can really "claim" a spot. Nor can branches be trimmed or screw in steps and holders on public. The year hunting I ran into several Wisconsin hunters, down to earth, we exchanged notes and good info. They were just like us, trying to find the deer and put a good one down. I gave them some good intel and wished them luck, they gave me good intel and wish us luck. Those are the exchanges that make public hunting great IMO

I have had out of staters & out of towners both in my tree stands when I showed up but has only happened twice in my 19 years of hunting.there is a better chance of it getting stolen than somebody sitting in it.Now that is sad!
I had permission on a farm in SE Iowa many years back. I “thought” I was only person with permission but honestly didn’t 100% confirm that. Went to hunt it the 1st time- “ahhh dude- who are u and why are u in my treestand?!?!” He did have permission. I asked why hunting my treestand? “I didn’t think anyone hunted it”. I said “ah, it’s a new treestand & new set up & I don’t know too many guys that put a stand out to let rot and never hunt?!?!” I just walked out politely and quietly and said “enjoy the hunt, just stay”. I ended up just bagging that farm. I realized the guy was in there hunting the heck out of it and running everything out & it was a small parcel of timber to start with. I got my stand down and never came back.
I wouldn’t hunt someone else’s stand on public but I’m sure it happens. Actually- I take that back..... me at 14 years old when I started hunting- I honestly would not have known better and maybe done it. Took a couple years as I didn’t have any teacher or mentor to learn some courtesies of the woods. I think if u have an issue - don’t lose too much sleep and have lots of back up plans you can move to. Lots of options, spots, places to go and planning ahead are Critical.

I dont leave stands up on public land for that very reason. The regs say it is legal, so expect it if you leave a stand up.

I pack in and pack out. Also does not give away my spot as well.

We set two sticks with each stand then carry in three to get up. Usually keeps it high enough to keep most from messing with it.

Top Bottom